Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastur
Mar 26, 2007

queefing the ice beard.
I haven't read Earthsea, but I have seen some of the movie.

Enough that I can whisper "Sparrowhawk..." to my room mates as they sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
The movie was pretty pathetic; spitting in the face of the author's blatant attempt to create non-white characters for kids to identify with.

Just stating my opinion about the book, not trying to attack people for liking it.
The main character seems like your typical socially inept creeper. Interesting way to go and I suppose people like that need heroes too. I guess it kinda works in tying in with the main character being raped in the streets as a child. I suppose someone like that would be skittish with intimacy.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

onefish posted:

Okay, so yes, Le Guin's books, complete and utter classics of the genre, validated by decades and a few hundred thousand readers, may be better (though they're different types of books, and it's kind of an apples and oranges situation). But she did not invent the idea of the importance of true names to magic, and Rothfuss is not the first after her to use the idea, either.

Yes, the concept of importance and power of "true names" is several thousand years old - Rumpelstiltskin for example, or the kabbalistic idea of God's true name or some thoughts on the idea by Socrates, next to tons of folk lore from many different cultures. And - since we are already talking about Earthsea - Miyazaki also uses the theme in several of his movies over the decades (most prominent in Spirited Away).

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Anyone got any ideas on the origins of that? Anything I can read?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
You know, my problem with the book isn't how Kvothe acts. I actually get that. He was spoilers ahead emotionally stunted at age 11 when everyone he knew was killed after a life of fairy tales, songs, and plays. How he acts is pretty rational given the circumstances. He idolized women as impossible to obtain objects, lashes out often, and displays a lot of social inadequacies common among people who have suffered severe trauma. His perceptions are based around the surreal world in which he was raised and the miserable reality in which he now exists. I actually think Kvothe works as a character, albeit a deeply, emotionally flawed one. He is also an unreliable narrator, and I see a lot of placers where that could be the case in the first book.

My real problem, which I have figured out while rereading the book, is how everyone else in the world acts towards him. He polarizes everyone he meets to the point of unbelievability. And other characters have little to no characterization or development. Unless Denna is also fresh off being a bard and having her whole family murdered in her recent past, there is no reason for her to feed into Kvothe's bullshit. A lot of characters function the same way, responding to Kvothe like he is a normal, albeit super smart, guy.

Basically, if people called Kvothe out on his bullshit this book would be way more believable. If we see a scene where Chronicler is like, "That's not how it really happened at all," I don't know if the book will be any better, but it will certainly be more believable.

Kvothe: I was whipped but I never bled, and everyone whispered in hushed tones about how badass I am.
Chronicler: Actually, accounts said you cried out for your dead parents. You must be kind of hosed up still about that whole demons killing your family thing, since you're burying your real memories under layers and layers of lies.
Kvothe: (Stunned Silence)
Robin Bast: Oh God be nice to Batman my master!

Also, Bast is a useless loving character. Since he exists in the present day, we are to believe the things he says are exactly what he says. I think I would be sold on Kvothe as an unreliable narrator if Bast, at least once, was like, "You told that story differently like two weeks ago man."

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Benson Cunningham posted:

Also, Bast is a useless loving character. Since he exists in the present day, we are to believe the things he says are exactly what he says. I think I would be sold on Kvothe as an unreliable narrator if Bast, at least once, was like, "You told that story differently like two weeks ago man."

I thought the whole point of the epiloge, with Bast basically threatening to murder Chronicler, was that Bast doesn't care if the story is "true" or not (and actually prefers the story to be less than true in certain respects), but that Bast wants Kvothe to tell a story that makes Kvothe feel better about himself so that he'll stop being a whiny puss and get back to being an awesome magician.

Also re: Denna I wouldn't be super suprised if it turns out she was Speculation Spoiler one of the Chandrian or at least an agent of the Chandrian.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Bizob posted:

I thought the whole point of the epiloge, with Bast basically threatening to murder Chronicler, was that Bast doesn't care if the story is "true" or not (and actually prefers the story to be less than true in certain respects), but that Bast wants Kvothe to tell a story that makes Kvothe feel better about himself so that he'll stop being a whiny puss and get back to being an awesome magician.

That's the impression I got, as well. I also thought that chapter was pretty awesome and it was a nice end to the book.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Bizob posted:

Also re: Denna I wouldn't be super suprised if it turns out she was Speculation Spoiler one of the Chandrian or at least an agent of the Chandrian.

One of the Chandrian is named Cinder, Kvothe named Denna's patron Ash (Kvothe picks meaningful names without conscious thought, like that horse).

Beans
May 12, 2001

I WILL ANSWER ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO PROPERLY DISCERN BANDWAGON FANS FROM TRUE FANS.
I don't know if this is taboo or not, but here is another excerpt (not the one released by Tor) from Wise Man's Fear that appeared ~2008

http://www.zimbio.com/member/pat5150/articles/3711983/Exclusive+excerpt+Patrick+Rothfuss+WISE+MAN

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

Neurosis posted:

If Patrick subverts the Mary Sue by showing Kvothe as an unreliable narrator with hints as to the inaccuracies, this will become awesome.

However, the first book does not bode well.

But imho, the author has already done that by having Bast saying that Diana (or whatever her name is) is not the most beautiful woman in the world, but more of a 'meh'... There was one or two other (short) parts in the story when the reader (or at least me) notices some subtle hints that Kvothe has changed the story a little bit or at least has coloured it in favor of himself...

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Loki Kunti posted:

But imho, the author has already done that by having Bast saying that Diana (or whatever her name is) is not the most beautiful woman in the world, but more of a 'meh'... There was one or two other (short) parts in the story when the reader (or at least me) notices some subtle hints that Kvothe has changed the story a little bit or at least has coloured it in favor of himself...

Yeah but I'm more willing to believe that in Kvothe's perception she was super hot and his friends were just nice enough about it since they didn't want to hurt his feelings. I doubt she was a sea hag or something.

The parts that seem more unreliable to me are how he portrays his parents, his treatment by other students, his three years as a homeless guy, his interactions with the money lender, and basically any "regular" thing he does. I'm far more willing to believe that outrageous parts of the story, like him calling the name of the wind or killing a draccus.

Edit: Even if Denna turns out to be some minion of Lanre's crew, she's just so flat as a character. No one would engage with Kvothe in the type of dialog she does, because she is not a character in a play, she is supposedly a human woman.

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 24, 2011

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
I don't think Bast can disprove parts of Kvothe's story, especially the early parts, because Kvothe has never told anyone anything about it before, has he? I swear they mention that it's the first time he's ever told the story to anyone.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

A Nice Boy posted:

I don't think Bast can disprove parts of Kvothe's story, especially the early parts, because Kvothe has never told anyone anything about it before, has he? I swear they mention that it's the first time he's ever told the story to anyone.

Kvothe is obviously some kind of teacher to Bast, so it's not unbelievable that he has related some stories of his past to him before. That they would exactly synch up is somewhat difficult to believe, not just because of the difference in audience and purpose of telling, but because Kvothe should be lying about some of this awful poo poo he's done.

Unless Kvothe is all like, "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good and let me be judged accordingly. The rest is silence." But he is neither Shakespeare nor Dinobot, so that is also difficult to believe.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Hmm...I need to research this, because I thought at one point Bast even says that he really doesn't know poo poo about Kvothe's past except the same stories and legends that everyone knows about him.

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010
I'm looking forward to the second book (haven't read any of the excerpts mentioned above). Imho, besides the upfront story about the wonderboy (which I admittedly like) and the easy-to-spot references to music-making there is a hidden plot about storytelling (..., lyrics, poems, lore) inside the first book.
    The numerous times mentioned traditional horror tales (e.g. about shamble-men (?)).
    The 'biblical' story about the demon hunter.
    The 'Silmarillion-like' story about the Amyr and the destruction of the last city.
    The little hints of the land of Fae and the fairy folk (E.g. Bast? I guess, the fairy folk is the same (closely related?) to the 'demons'. English literature was all about Fae, fairies and travels into the fairyland in the end of the 19th century.).
    The killing of a 'dragon' which is nothing as big lizard and the relation to a 'scientific book' ('The life-cycle of the ordinary draccuus' or similar).
    The killing of Kvothe's parents about a never fully sung song.
    Kvothe's obsession to get into the archives. The largest secret of the book lies inside the archives behind a locked door.

So, a lot of different types of tales stemming from seemingly different time periods are mentioned throughout the story...
But perhaps it's wishful thinking and the second book contains nothing of that anymore. I'll see. Soon.

P.S. Only guesses and not related to above: Denna is the love interest of one of the Chandrians (or she is one of them, wasn't one of them a woman?). Ash is probably one of the seven.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

When he talks about the machinery beneath the University, I have this fear that we're going to find out that the current world is built on the ruins of a high tech world! Woooo, never heard that story before!

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

I for one am excited about seeing a Final Fantasy Kvothe.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

"..."

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

Beans posted:

I don't know if this is taboo or not, but here is another excerpt (not the one released by Tor) from Wise Man's Fear that appeared ~2008

http://www.zimbio.com/member/pat5150/articles/3711983/Exclusive+excerpt+Patrick+Rothfuss+WISE+MAN

I think the series would be a bit bitter if the unreliable narrator hypothesis is true. This quote from that excerpt gives me a lot of hope:

quote:

But between these two extremes lay a great many students. Most minds don’t break when put under the Arcanum’s stresses, they simply crack a little. Sometimes these cracks show themselves in small ways: facial ticks, stuttering. Some students became forgetful, others remembered things that hadn’t happened at all. Some students heard voices, others grew sensitive to light.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
Another very positive review here although I have no idea if this is a credible source.

quote:

In The Wise Man’s Fear, Kvothe—musician, magician, thief and more—continues to tell the story of his quest to learn more about a group of beings known as the Chandrian (or the Seven) who slaughtered his family when he was still a child. With his second book, Rothfuss proves that his initial success was no fluke. Though in itself longer than many trilogies, The Wise Man’s Fear carries the reader along just as swiftly as its predecessor.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.
just one more day.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Bantaras posted:

just one more day.

I'm hoping that amazon comes through like it always does and I get my book a day early.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Benson Cunningham posted:

I'm hoping that amazon comes through like it always does and I get my book a day early.

Same here. I have yet to get any email about Amazon charging my card, though.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
That's weird. I got the shipping notice for my copy on Saturday.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
Got my shipping notice last night, very pumped.

e: drat it, my book is in Hodgkins Illinois. No way it gets to my house in Milwaukee before tomorrow. :(

Bizob fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 28, 2011

LoSesMC
Feb 13, 2009
Just got my copy! Man I love Amazon...

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

LoSesMC posted:

Just got my copy! Man I love Amazon...

Jerk. I'm sure my kindle copy won't load until tomorrow.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Wow, talk about good timing. I just finished The name of the Wind this morning, having picked it up due to recommendations in this forum. I had no idea that the new book is out tomorrow.

Not to beat a dead horse but I had all the same problems with Kvothe that most in this thread have had as well, but still really enjoyed the read.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Rothfuss put up a summary of Name of the Wind in cartoon form for those who don't want to reread the book before the sequel, but need some kind of memory refresher: http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2011/02/our-story-thus-far/

Pessimisten
Mar 24, 2008
I THINK TERRORISM IS OK, BECAUSE IT'S NOT REALLY THE TERRORIST THAT SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE, IT'S THE CAPITALIST SOCIETY PIGS. ALLAH AHKBAR!
Anyone have any clue when audible.com might have this up? Amazon is listing an audiobook so i asume audible is going to get it up for download? I have this week off and i really want to start listening as soon as possible.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
My Amazon copy just shipped! But gently caress it's in Arizona!? Looks like I won't be getting it tonight then.

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007

Lt. Jebus posted:

Not to beat a dead horse but I had all the same problems with Kvothe that most in this thread have had as well, but still really enjoyed the read.

You know, first time around, I really enjoyed the book, but I had this "Holy poo poo the author was a theater nerd in high school" vibe from it.

So I'm doing a re-read ahead of the new book coming out (should finish tonight with ease) and I have to say, after hearing all the complaints in this thread, and THEN reading the book again... I still feel there's a ton of pent up theater nerd issues behind the main character, and I feel the main character is petty douchey and pretentious at several points during the book, but I also feel that with the backstory he's been given, a lot of it plays off as appropriate.

On read two, even keeping an eye out for the things all the haters hate, it just doesn't bother me that much, and I'm looking forward to the second book in the series anyways.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Mine's on its way, but didn't get here early. Oh well, I still have a decent amount of my previous book to read, so that's probably good. I'm super pumped, though! :dance:

Tombstone
Nov 2, 2001

Always look on the bright side of life.
My pre-order on iTunes just went live, so if your getting it that way, you get an early start tonight!

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I'm about 250 pages in, got my copy around 7 today. I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

Minor impressions -

Kvothe doesn't seem to be nearly as awesome at EVERYTHING this go around, though he's still ridiculously great at music and sympathy. But at least he's shown to have weaknesses to his peers in other areas.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

onefish posted:

Rothfuss put up a summary of Name of the Wind in cartoon form for those who don't want to reread the book before the sequel, but need some kind of memory refresher: http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2011/02/our-story-thus-far/

I like it a lot. Nice to see that he can poke fun on some of the weaknesses of the first book (and Kvothe's Mary-Sueseque qualities).

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
It came out a few days early in Australia so I've had it since last week. Just finished it today. Enjoyed it fine, and I think some people who had issues with the first won't have the same problems with this one.

That having been said, I can anticipate a whole heap of complaints (which I don't necessarily share) - mild spoilers ahead:

If I hadn't heard this was a trilogy and the book was half the length, I would expect this to be a five book series. Kvothe acquires more skills and experience, travels a bit, but there isn't much movement on the main plot front so I expect to hear a lot of people irritated that "nothing happens". I'm not sure the relationships between Kvothe and his friends, teachers, Denna etc. really progress all that much between the first and last page, either. As "Kvothe's Adventures" the book is fine. There is more detail on the world given, particularly as far as other cultures are concerned, and it's easy to read. However, the framing narrative feels particularly superfluous this time as little real information is imparted. This is going to bother some people more than others, I think.

Personally, I enjoyed it fine. Kvothe appears as much more of a fallible character. I suspect if I read it more closely there is a lot of pretty negative stuff that could be mined out of it - there are a lot of somewhat facile conclusions regarding sex, women and relationships that could be read as authorial insertion, which is a little bit icky. On the other hand, it's better than the first book, where all these issues were really skirted around.

Essentially I'd call it more of the same - don't read it for answers/conclusions. If you go in just looking for some fantasy "day in the life" light entertainment you'll be pleased in what you find. If you want high stakes epic fantasy with twists and the fate of kingdoms hanging in the balance etc. you won't get it from this one.

edit: bigger spoilers: After thinking about it a bit more, I think this still falls under the model of the second half of the first book where Kvothe Levels Up every few chapters. In the former book he learns magic and hones his music. In this one he learns kung fu, languages, and fairy sex. He will learn techniques like "Whispering Hand" and you will find it hard to keep straight whether its a martial arts move or something to be used on a "lady's flower". So if you can keep a straight face it will be entertaining. But I think I'd rather not think too hard about it all.

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 1, 2011

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Blamestorm posted:

He will learn techniques like "Whispering Hand"

It's probably a commentary on Rothfuss that I can't tell whether you're joking or not.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

tirinal posted:

It's probably a commentary on Rothfuss that I can't tell whether you're joking or not.

I'm pretty much not. Take a guess which is which from the book: "Thousand Hands," "Dancing Maiden," "Circling the Moon," "Ivy on the Oak," "Playing Ivy," "Thunder Upward," "Circling Hands". I just grabbed those at random - half are kung fu moves and half are sex moves.

Have fun guessing which is which!

edit: I just tried "Thunder Upwards" and it really works wonders! Very exhausting though.

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
This goes back to my main complaint with Name of the Wind, which was that, discarding plot entirely and looking solely at the choice and style of words used, it was very, very obvious that here was a man who'd spent most of his formative moments on the internet. And if he hasn't, then nonetheless he still writes like he has.

• Locked thread