Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

SaviourX posted:

And now that I've thought more on it (and this is endemic of SFF in the past decade or so, thanks Jordan!), book series nowadays break the cardinal storytelling rule of 'start your story as close to the end as reasonably possible'.

Which makes Rothfuss (and others) extremely guilty of padding. "You want to know my rad story. Okay. But first, the entire history of my main guy, heh."

I mean, it's great if you have nothing else to read, but there's literally millions of books out there; it'd be great if authors condensed their thousands of pages of epics down to one novel and then go onto something else, thanks.

I can see that in Rothfuss' series, but I wonder where the line to that is drawn. For instance, the Malazan books are nowhere near where they started out, but everything has contributed in one way or another to the story. There are probably a few places where you could argue that the story could've started closer to the end, but I don't see that the series suffers for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

I just took the whole thing to mean that Adem women were like the Bene Gesserit to a point. They could choose when to and when not to get pregnant. If you take it a bit further, the dialogue between Kvothe and the Adem where she said that women take the men's anger and use it later could have meant that they took the men's semen and kept some in the event they wanted to have a baby later.

Its all a stretch, and if any of those are what Rothfuss was going for, he could've gotten the ideas across more clearly, but I simply refuse to believe that the Adem women thought men weren't necessary for procreation.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

To be "fair", Kvothe even asked the sex-ninja about cats reproducing or some such and her answer was "we're not animals". So the animal husbandry thing was kinda-sorta addressed a bit.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

What other books should I put on my 'must read' list if I'm enjoying Rothfuss' stuff. Granted, its not the best literature around, but I enjoy stuff that's "easy to read".

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

TShields posted:

I'm trying to figure out why he keeps getting the poo poo kicked out of him outside of his own story. Did he suddenly lose his sympathy? Is that even a possibility? I don't remember reading about it in the books or anything.

Edit: And yeah, I'm okay with Bast being his son, but there's something else under the surface there.. like, he's in league with the Chandarian, or at least knows they're out for him and that's why he wants him to sack up and be a badass again. I'd kinda love it if at the end of the book, he tells the Chronicler "Yeah, I just made all that poo poo up. I told you, I'm the best loving bard on the planet."

Ever since someone mentioned it, I read all of Kvothe as he is Zapp Brannigan. All bluster, tall tales, completely inflating himself, but when it comes down to it, its all story and he's just a sad sack. I somehow doubt that's what Rothfuss is doing though.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Kynetx posted:

So what's in the Three lock/Lack/Lockless box? I'm thinking the name of the moon. Thoughts?

I'm guessing Kvothe was in some kind of mortal danger from the Chandrian. They were on to him somehow. He found a way to lock himself, or a defining part of himself in the box. This is why he's not badass in the present. Bast will figure out how to open the box and return Kvothe to his badass self and he'll save the day/Denna/everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Maybe we all have it completely wrong and Kvothe/Kote is a raging psycopath. What's locked in the trunk? Denna. If Kvothe can't have her, no one can!

• Locked thread