Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Which is more infuriating/stupid, Harry Potter magic or this stuff?

Harry Potter is more like a cosmic power they never use to alleviate human suffering.

Patty's has the concept of energy conservation, but the most useful items for export we encounter are an elevator and a pager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
The bell was siguldry or whatever.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I like how dumb and incredulous the trio was at the Eolian when she asked about writing magic. We know that he knows that he was an idiot and it probably relates to her search for the chandrian.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
The books were good and entertaining, and have gotten better with a second and third reading. All-in-all, better than A Polyphonic Killing Spree.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Atlas Hugged posted:

The problem is that basically anything that happens in the book happens in other books but in more interesting ways. The relationship between Kvothe and Not-Snape is one dimensional. They don't get along because the professor wants respect and Kvothe doesn't feel like giving him any. It lacks all the nuance and subtlety of loving Harry Potter.

I remember having deep multidimensional relationships with all of my teachers.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Harry Potter didn't really have character development. His main beef was revenge against voldemort/draco. Harry had opportunities to be compassionate to Draco later on, and possibly pull him over to Harry's side, but he decided to keep up the childish feud. The last book or four only kept me turning pages out of some desire to "achievement unlocked" and move on with my life.

Kvothe is a dumbass who gets himself owned by Elodin, drops the ball with Denna, etc. He is acknowledging his past mistakes in this narrative to Chronicler.

The narrative within the narrative is definitely a crutch, but whatever: I enjoyed the stories and await the next.

I'm glad Rothfuss provided this material for y'all to go all Plinkett on. You seem to invest a lot into it.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Maybe Kote found the power of introspection, but it is obfuscated with the story within a story structure, as he is dictating his biography as he wishes it to be published verbatim.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Jivjov already said there is nothing to be gained from this due to your hypercritical analysis. gently caress off.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
When did you read it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
That wasn't a critique of the book, moron.

• Locked thread