Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sil
Jan 4, 2007
Some comments of my own.

Regarding antagonists I don't quite understand why people complain that the biggest problem you're going to face when in school are rear end in a top hat teachers and rear end in a top hat students. It's obvious that these guys aren't the Big Bads of the series, and they fit the period of his life just fine. Also, they're about as realistically described as you could get. Have none of you ever had someone that you hated when you were 15? Wtf kind of character depth do you think you gave those people?

As for his love "skills", he's an antisocial nerd, that never spent much time with any kids his own age that he didn't hate or who weren't filthy hobos. Also he's 15 and despite his overcompensating arrogance still obviously insecure about lots of things(just as he's obsessive about others).

Finally this is the beginning of his life and story. I don't get the complaint that "nothing happened" at all. Was he supposed to find the things that killed his family and Harry Potter them to death?

I don't have a problem with criticizing a book. I do have a problem with people that talk as if they are some literary authority espousing the absolute facts of writing. You've got your opinions and other people have theirs. And no this isn't the same thing as defending robot balls in Transformers. This is a case of someone saying Emperor of Dune is retarded because the protagonist is all-knowing and a giant worm and that's unrealistic, while people that like the book point out that a)it's science fiction and b)the character is flawed and believably constructed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sil
Jan 4, 2007
If your definition of goony and unplausible rests primarily on having over the top romanticized attitudes towards women I shudder to think what you literary analysis geniuses think of everything ever written by the romantics in the 19th century. A minstrel in a medieval society talks about his love interest in poeticized language well I loving never, there goes my immersion goon sire!

It would be less obnoxious to have people constantly restate that that they just dislike the character, as opposed to trying and put together some pseudo-psychoanalytical mumbo jumbo about how the author is seeping into the character. But hey, maybe I should spend more time reading Forum Literature so I can be more on the look out for such unacceptable and never before seen tropes as Overprotective would-be boyfriend and Chick that likes musicians but also rich people. And complaining about ambrose or whatever being a bumbler is like whining that the janitor dude with the cat in Harry Potter is a bad villain. Who the gently caress cares? Neither book is acting as if those guys are anything beyond semi-comic relief.

And finally the whole premise of magic is a nerdy mary sue. You can study a book that makes you be able to do stuff to real objects as opposed to just ideas. Nerds don't get laughed at in worlds where nerds can blow people up by looking at them, stunningly shocking.

e. I mean poo poo, the worst and still relevant thing you can say about Kvothe is that he's just a version of the somewhat obnoxious Byronic hero trope. You may not like the trope, but a) it's not particularly badly written or used by Rothfuss and b) it's not exactly unused by otherwise critically well received books. But no clearly it's GOONYNESS, because hurf blurf.

Sil fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 23, 2010

• Locked thread