Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

frozenpeas posted:

Superman - I had a dream about flying - I wish I could fly.
Batman - What if I was rich - I wish I was rich!
Kvothe - What if I was good at everything! I wish I was good at everything!

Superman and Batman were both originally a.) for children and b.) frequently offensive by modern standards. I could compare Denna to the love interest in the Nolan films as well, but I'll try to resist.

As far as this series goes, I'm waiting for the third book before I start making judgments. Biographical criticism can only take you so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

pakman posted:

I really hope it's not a happy ending. After the way it's been built up that he fails spectacularly, and it turns into some kind of "he gets the girl and they live happily ever after" I will flip a table or something. Look at him now, he can't do magic and he got the crap beat out of him (but he still took a perfect step at the end of WMF), it just has to be a tragedy.

It seems to me like the third book is heading toward him graduating, meeting Bast, killing the king, and then getting into some sort of scrap with the Chandrian where he likely takes one of them out (maybe the king in question is a Chandrian, for the purposes of narrative economy).

During all of this he loses Denna somehow, damages his name, and then heads off to the inn to nurse his wounds, at which point we return to present day where he reveals he is ready to get back into the fight.

KVOTHE WILL RETURN IN...

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
I'm not totally down with the Neil Gaiman "not your bitch" train, myself.

If someone publishes in installments, I think they've made an implicit promise to actually finish the series. If Rothfuss or Martin had said, "here's part one of an epic fantasy series; there will be no part two," I wouldn't buy it, and I don't think a lot of other people would either. Obviously if it doesn't sell or their publisher goes out of business or if they die or something, then yes, I understand. And if Martin wants to watch football and Rothfuss wants to play Fallout 4, I'm not going to freak out. But that said, I don't think it's unreasonable for fans to ask how the project is going when they've essentially put a down payment on it already.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That's the other reason, but then again I really did want to be exhaustive. I'm going to finish NotW at least like this.

http://www.tor.com/series/patrick-rothfuss-reread/

I'd be curious to get your thoughts on this.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Dienes posted:

Gotta have priorities.

STOLEN VALOR!

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

StonecutterJoe posted:

Kvothe gazed longingly at his Flow Hive. It was a hive that was not entirely a hive, not entirely honey, not entirely bees, but a combination of these things, more and yet...yet somehow less. Less in the tapping of the hive, less in the pour of the honey, less in the spring-evening buzzing that rose to his ears like a mandolin submerged under running stream water, struggling to play out a single heartfelt note. A note that said sad.

It was a buzzing of three parts.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
I think WMF is the basically the Matrix Reloaded: it is possible that a sufficiently skilled creator could turn all of those narrative promises and setups into something really effective, but there's a huge amount of anticipation, and a risk of some seriously nasty backlash if you manage to gently caress it up.

I'd go listen to MBMBAM instead too, if I were up against something like that.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
I think he's gonna finish the book, but probably not until his son is in college. You gotta have priorities, and what's more important than raising your child?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/10/the-name-of-the-wind-10th-anniversary-edition.html

quote:

7. Appendix: The Aturan Calendar

As if you needed more proof that Rothfuss is a master world-builder, the new edition boasts an appendix explaining the Aturan calendar. So for those of you who wondered how many months are in the year (eight) or how many span are in a month (four) or how many days are in a span (eleven), now you can find answers to your questions. Just don’t get us started on the “chaos” surrounding the Seven Days of High Mourning.

• Locked thread