Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I kinda agree with the above listed reasons on why it didn't blow my skirt up.

The way it was written, it just sort of fell into a "boy, nothing will happen to this guy" feeling. The whole way that Rothfuss did the backstory let you know that Kvothe wouldn't be in any real danger, so the rest of the story is just some sort of ego masturbation.

I just came away with the feeling that I had read this book written by the kid in grade school where his uncle worked for nintendo and had a special super mario edition that had levels only he could play and he couldn't show you cause then his uncle would get fired, and his first car was a mustang but it's totally in the shop right now, and he totally scored with that chick and shes just playing it cool. He's gotten more rear end than a toilet seat regardless of never being seen within 400 yards of something female.

Basically I was just let down by the book. It had a good premise, but the way it was handled was just kinda lame.

If the second book is less "AND THEN I DID THIS OTHER AWESOME THING, TOTALLY, AND THEN LIKE, HER BOOBS CAME OUT OF HER SHIRT AND I WAS ALL LIKE 'YEA BABY! PASS ME MY BOOMSTICK!' AND THEN I NINJAKICKED THE poo poo OUT OF THE KING AND WAS ALL LIKE 'LOOKS LIKE YOU JUST GOT A TASTE OF BOOT JUSTICE' AND THEN WE TOTALLY HAD THE SEX. TWICE. WITH HER SISTER JOINING IN ON THE SECOND ROUND. :smug: " I will give it a shot, but not until I read some reviews on it first.

Some books I like, some books I don't. This just fell into the don't section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Moving away from "She is a shy deer" to "Wanna gently caress that deer :stare:".

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I am teetering on the edge of picking this up, and having read the little plot synopsis I have to ask one question.

Does a majority of the book end up with him "learning the ways of love" from the hottest faerie chick on the planet?

If so, that's horrible enough self insertion/wish fulfillment/zapp brannigan that I might wanna actually read just for the laughs. It might just topple the anita blake wereswan sex as the #1 "what in the holy gently caress was the writer thinking?" contender.

Not looking for details, cause god knows I am going to get a shitload of those from the book, but just looking for a yes or no answer.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Welp, read through it, and while it was somewhat better than Name of the wind, it still isn't great. It's odd, the guy can write like a champ, but it's WHAT he writes that irks me, not how. Or it's easier to say "He is very easy to read, but his characters are annoying." I think if he got the chance to write in someone elses universe, like star wars or something, he would be pretty good at it. When he has control of the characters and the universe, it tends to be a fun filled romp through uncontrolled id and wish fulfillment.

In book 1, we basically have Kvothe, ubergoon extraordinaire, who can do no wrong and is more kick rear end than Jesus and Chuck Norris combined.

In book 2, he is a little more laid back, and actually (GASP) gas a learning curve to some things. That in itself is a huge improvement over the first book.

Things I liked :
The writing (as mentioned)
I can kinda see where the plot is going from here.
Kvothe seemed like an actual human being for parts of the book, albeit small ones.
The ending. (not in a sarcastic "Cause it stopped!" :haw: kinda way, they guy just writes good endings)

Things I didn't like :
Anything and everything sex related. Holy poo poo this guy writes sex worse than Jim Butcher, and that is loving saying something.
Moments of humanity, followed by chapters and chapters of ego run wild.
loving DENNA. Sweet mother of god I hate this character. Granted, everyone has the "unrequited love" poo poo happen to them once or twice when growing up but JESUS CHRIST DUDE MOVE THE gently caress ON! I am being completely literal when I say this, every single god damned time she popped up in the book I started to get a headache cause I knew it was going downhill and fast. Right over my right eye.

Spoilered what I thought might be some vague importance to the books plot. I don't think it spoils anything huge (everything on my list is vague anyway) but I don't want anyone getting all whiny.

The best way I can think of to describe this book is Cod Pieceington and Zapp Brannigan hosed on top of a bad romance novel set in fairy land.

3 stars outta 5. The good parts were great, the bad parts were rear end, and while I wouldn't recommend it without the disclaimer of Cod and Zapp, I have read much much worse.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 8, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"He's got a fae look in his eyes.... He needs to get into my vagina!"

That, moreso than anything else, was the most :doh: inducing part of the book.

It's just... drat that's horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
One of the things that just kinda bugs me is the name Edema Ruh.

I keep flashing back to this commercial that aired CONSTANTLY when I was a kid, where some dude was selling mattresses that helped with EDEMA OR SWELLING OF THE LEGS. Every time I see that in the book I hear that bastard in my head again :argh:

Not trying to be all :smug:, but did anyone not catch the song? When he had it a few times in the book and mentioned his mom's name, it kinda became obvious (to me at least).

It was an interesting way to handle the name though.

• Locked thread