Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
A lot of the fun of "Let's Read Critically" for me was going "What? That didn't happen, did it?" or "That can't possibly be how he phrased that.", and then going back to realize that it was all true. I forgot entire swaths of that book, and genuinely skipped over most of the Amyr and Tablorin stuff because it was almost jaw-droppingly boring. Having that stuff summarized for me was a big help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I was gonna post about how thinking retroactively on WMF was what cause me to hate it, or maybe having to slog through it on a reread or something. I thought I had a higher opinion of it back when it first came out, but I guess I really didn't like it much at all from the get-go.

SpacePig posted:

I don't read very often, but something about The Name of the Wind just roped me in. I really fell in love with the book once Kvothe started telling his story. While I'm certain;y not a connoisseur of books by any means, I felt that it was a story well told, and it kept me interested through the entire thing. I stayed up almost entire nights telling myself "just one more chapter". I felt It honestly got me reading again for a little while.

The Wise Man's Fear, though, felt far too long, and lumbered in alot of places. It felt slow, and osmewhat disjointed. By the end of the book, I really felt that I wasn't even interested in Kvothe anymore. He just because such a weird and unappealing main character. I really can't put my finger on it, but something made me just sort of angry that he felt himself a hero one way or another, and I got sick of his odd, smug sense of righteouness and superiority.

I will probably still read the 3rd book if it manages to be significantly shorter than TWMF, but after having such a great time reading the first book, I feel like this series won't be one that I remember all that fondly looking back.

This is still pretty much the way I feel. There's a special place in my heart for NotW, because it got me back into reading for fun, even if I did skip probably a 3rd of the book in total. WMF was such a wet fart that I basically stopped reading fantasy until some folks in this thread recommended me some poo poo some 5 years later.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I don't think he actually has sex with them, but I'm pretty sure he feels them up. I think first as a ruse to get the trust of the kidnappers, then for himself, but he feels bad about it or something.

e: Dang, had this window open for awhile. But there you go. LoB tends to know what's up with these books in lieu of BotL.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 16, 2017

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Oh hey look what was posted today:

Shamefully, a recommendation from PA was what initially got me to read NotW, and I think they're pretty close to him personally these days. This is basically a friendly ribbing.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

avshalom was permabanned :(

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Pounded in the Butt by the True Name of My Own Butt.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Solice Kirsk posted:

You're saying you wanted the second book to be longer? Real answer, it was Rothfuss' attempt at thwarting conventions. In a conventional fantasy book interesting things happen to the main character, in this we read about a guy going to college and loving girls.

It's still a fantasy book, though, so he fucks fairy for his first time, and he fucks her so good that she teaches him to gently caress even better. And the human women that he fucks are women that somehow don't know the biological implications of sex, and are also the best at sex in the human world, and teach him to gently caress i]even better[/i]. He also molests some sleeping girls, but whatever, forget that.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Atlas Hugged posted:

It just seems counterintuitive to me that after reading a long rear end book where nothing happened someone would think the solution to that would be an even longer book.

I actually like the first book well enough, and it set up a lot of things to happen.And then we get to WMF, and none of them really did. All he did was whine about being poor a bunch, have really good sex a whole bunch of times, and learn a secret ninja martial art because he was so good at sex. You know, things he's famous for in his legend.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
He also did the "Kvothe the Bloodless" thing on a technicality. That's basically the only thing that's been less true than he let on in the beginning. Everything else is pretty much exactly as described in the beginning. I forgot that the Felurian and the Adem were in his legend, honestly.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Rothfuss gets close to outright calling Kvothe a shithead a couple of times, but it's almost immediate washed away every time because he's "in the right" for being a shithead, while everyone else isn't. It'd be neat if it's something that resolves itself in the 3rd book, and it ends up he's burned all of his bridges, but he got forgiven by a woman who he tried to boil alive from inside, so I'm not holding my breath.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

You're using the TvTropes definition of trope, so yes, it is stupid.

I would say that preoccupation with them, as you said, might be stupid. Deriding a work, or dismissing it out of hand, just because it ticks too many boxes on some arbitrary trope list is silly. But that's not to say that addressing cliches itself is stupid. There are ways to use cliches cleverly, or to subvert them in a neat way or something. Knowing them can help sometimes.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I don't know that the previous cover for the book was any more related to the story, but this one is just an unmitigated mess. Wowzers. I don't really recognize any of the symbolism, but it sort of says a lot about the book that the main focus of the cover is the broken lute.

Also, that font is very bad and the cover artist should be ashamed.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

"The name of the wind" was a Jeopardy category today.

Were any questions about the book, or was it stuff about language and gods or something?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Avshalom would've been in here with a few Trashrick Rothfarts by now. I almost miss her.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 19, 2017

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Bad-dick Rough-gently caress.

I honestly can't believe how much time and effort he seems to be putting into doing anything but writing, editing, or talking about Book 3. Special edition of 1, writing for failing Kickstarter games, answering fan questions about how cool and good he is at things, etc... I don't know why people still follow him so closely or regard themselves as genuine fans.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

pentyne posted:

That's probably the most embarrassing part of him being a new media big time fantasy author. Where as 20, even 10 years ago you'd just expect to go years without seeing a new book from your favorite author and its just something you live with now you can track his life in real time from his social media and project involvements and genuinely think he's not writing anything for book 3.

I think that's sort of it. Everything he does gives off the illusion that he's not working on Book 3, even if he is working on it. And like Solice Kirsk says, it's probably already done. But the fact that he won't even give a year, after the had already said IIRC 2015 after Wise Man's Fear, is just weird.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I have a feeling he is actually done with the majority of the book, but its so rough and bad that the publisher is sitting on it until all the other wells dry up before releasing it. Which is probably gonna happen pretty quickly once Game of Thrones ends and HBO moves back to Sci-Fi or something.

There's also a bit of a chance that he's working on the TV adaptation of his own show, but I don't even know how serious that initial rights purchase was, or whether anything had been done with it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

HIJK posted:

The sad part is I totally loving believe he would spend over half a million on loving geek themed furniture.

He probably bought a bunch of geek-themed furniture for himself, but as far as I can tell, that $750k was invested. That means he thought there would be a significant enough market for personalized hand-crafted game-centric dining room tables priced around the same as used cars. I'm not necessarily happy that a company is closing, or that investors in that company are losing money. It's just funny that one of them is him.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Maybe I'm crazy, but $15 for a regular-old deck of cards with a unique design seems a bit much. I spent :10bux: on a Red Dead Redemption set, and thought even that was splurging. I know the whole Kickstater thing is "You're not just paying for the thing, you're supporting the creator", but $15 being the starting point of even getting a deck is kinda silly to me.

Also:
This print... it reminds me of something....

hmmmm.....

Also also:

:wow:
All of the high-dollar tiers are taken. In one day. Jesus.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Also, maybe I'm remembering wrong, but wasn't Bast described as being dark-skinned? And Auri as being small, waifish and raggedy? Art for this book never looks the way I imagine it, save for Kvothe.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

pentyne posted:

The average donation was $65. For a set of playing cards and whatever kitch etsy level crap is being farmed out to a factory in China. Seriously, do these nerds have savings accounts and 401ks? It's not like any of these things will have any value in 10-20 years/

The average actually comes out to about $60 after you subtract the $11,200 donated by 10 people across tiers from $800 to $1800 for original copies of the art used for the cards. $1800! For a crummy painting of a stupid playing card!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

ChickenWing posted:

I just don't understand why the gently caress you'd kickstart it. Just pay for the loving art and sell them.

Because then how could you charge $15 a deck? And also, advertising something on your own site is kinda hard, so why not just Kickstart it for basically free publicity?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Confer posted:

I really hope that they at least somewhat go by the source material. Although without Kvothes inner monologue I'm not sure how it will play out as a series. As long as they don't pull an Eragon I'll be happy.

If they keep the structure that it's a story being dictated, they can probably pare down the language a bit and have Kote as a narrator say the internal dialogue.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
While I'm definitely excited to see the episode dedicated to the world's currency exchange rates, I'm most looking forward to the episode where Kvothe tries to boil a woman's blood inside her body on nothing more than a hunch, and then goes on a fun prank adventure with that same woman later the same episode. Because he's so cool and good.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Confer posted:

Did this all happen in the same chapter? It felt like it was more paced out than that. He did overreact just a little.

It wasn't the same chapter, but it was a really quick turnaround, IIRC. Like, within the same week, if not less.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Malpais Legate posted:

Rothfart made magic boring, though, by continually lecturing us about the laws of thermodynamics. We get the same loving explanation of sympathy like three different times in each book.

I actually like sympathy as it is, but yeah, he goes out of his way to over-explain it. Kvhote, despite being a quick learner and functional master of sympathy, is somehow fascinated at a bell that rings another bell in another room. Then, like a weird nerd, explains how it works to the girl that he likes, even though she isn't interested in sympathy.

I think him over-explaining Kvothe's sympathy is some weird attempt to get out in front of hyper-nerds who will try to call out certain examples as done wrong or something.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Pash posted:

I don't know, I feel like they are entertaining... until you stop and think about them. Kinda like the second Star Trek reboot movie. You are like, that was a fun action movie... then you think for 2 minutes and are like, wait... Klingon and Earth are way to close together... and then its just to the races with wow they really gently caress that up things.

The 2nd Star Trek reboot movie opens with an enormous spaceship rising from the water and breaking out of the orbit of an ostensibly Earth-sized planet by using its thrusters, so luckily it didn't give me the time to try and view it as a real science fiction movie. Just an action movie using Star Trek as a dressing.

jivjov posted:

Denna is interested in sympathy though...there's a whole sequence in the Eolian of her asking Kvothe, Wil, and Sim to explain sympathy in more detail. And the but with the bell has her specifically saying "I have no idea how it works", prompting Kvothe to explain it.

I really don't remember a lot about this book, then, because I don't remember her asking about any specifics about sympathy. My bad.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

A: Yeah, this book is really fun!

B: It seems bad. What parts do you mean?

A: Well there are fun parts.

B: LIke what?

A There are parts that I find fun!

B: Which ones?

A: They're fun books!

A: I really enjoyed these books.

B: Why?

A: I found them entertaining.

B: Please point to a passage of the book that was enjoyable or entertaining.

A: *points to a part*

B: No, see, that part is objectively bad writing and you couldn't possibly enjoy that.

A: I never said they were good or well written, just that I found them entertaining.

B: Incorrect.

Here are some parts of the book that I thought were entertaining:
1) Kvothe travelling with his minstrel family and his sympathy teacher was fun and lighthearted up until everyone was murdered for singing a silly song.
2) The first few, increasingly informative parts about how sympathy works, as I personally enjoy having world mechanisms explained if they are well understood in-universe.
3) Kvothe gets pranked super-easy by a rich idiot into losing his library privileges, and vows revenge forever like a child.
4) A teacher basically tells Kvothe to set him on fire, and then complains to other teachers when he actually does.
5) The "Bloodless" moniker is explained as incorrect, and is ostensibly the only legend to be described as such.
6) Kvothe jumps out of a window and gets badly hurt because an eccentric old man tells him to.
7) Kvothe, in a blind rage, tries to boil a woman alive with her own blood. She owns him super hard, though, and tells him to gently caress off forever
-This is somewhat undercut but a later, too-easy forgiveness, but it's pretty neat in the moment.
8) Kvothe manages to slay a dragon that's high out of its mind.

Am I going to argue their literary merit or quality? Of course not. But I enjoyed them personally. The book is for-sure twice as long as it needs to be, but I found enough of it entertaining that I'll still defend parts occasionally.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Pash posted:

I do like how all those parts are from the first book. (I find the books entertaining although an attempted reread got really hard at a few points...)

I generally could not tell you almost anything that happened in the second outside of Felurian and Tempi's City of Sexhavers. I think maybe Kvothe finds a sponsor whose wife is racist against the Ruh? And he only went out to find a sponsor in the first palce because Kilvin told him to take a break from school? And also, there was the famous "molesting a rape victim" scene that I think I genuinely just blocked from my mind, and didn't remember until Lamps brought it up in this thread.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

It's telling that every claim that the books are entertaining is accompanied by a warning not to take such claims at a face value. They're just opinions.

Even the people who like them don't quite believe themselves when they say that they're entertaining.

Correct, they are only opinions. I have never stated otherwise. I don't think anybody has ever argued that they are objectively good or entertaining. You seem to be the only one looking for an objective qualifier to "entertaining", which is fairly, if not entirely, subjective.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

jivjov posted:

Eh. I decided that I don't own BotL anything (especially after he came and tried to start a slap fight with me in a different thread). I like the Kingkiller books; and I don't need to justify it to anyone.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

BananaNutkins posted:

The thing that made me lol the hardest about the Fifth Season was the shoe-horned social justice stuff and the forced sex trope reversal, where the female lead is forced to have sex with the "hero" over and over again while she complains about how awful it is, and then the hero turns out to be gay, so it was awful for him too, and it turns out all the women he was forced to sleep with by the government had babies, and those babies are lobotomized and turned into earthquake detectors.

This is the most insane summary of a plot point that I think I've ever read. I had to read it twice just to make sure I didn't have a stroke or something in the middle of it. What in the whole hell?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I read Night Angel trilogy around the same time I did Name of the Wind, and I actually liked it enough to try Weeks' Lightbringer books. It was another book where I thought the magic system was interesting enough, but so little was going on around it that I barely finished it. Looking back, night Angel probably wasn't as good as I thought it was. It, too, has a lot of creepy themes about sex that I was uncomfortable with even at the time.

Where do the Codex Alera books fall for you, Lamps?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I like whenever BotL and jivjov fight in here because neither will ever change their opinion about these books, and they each know this, but they elect to just slap at each other until jivjov decides it's not worth it anymore. It's a really stupid argument between basically the worst possible nerds, with the dynamic of a lovely adult yelling at a child for not enjoying a thing correctly.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

ulmont posted:

We are past the 10 year anniversary of Rothfuss telling us that book 3 would come out around 2010.

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2007/04/when-will-book-two-be-out/

Don't forget, though, that book 2 being out "2 years from now" turned into 4 years. His assumed question of "why so long?" is extra funny, though, since it's been more than 3 times his estimated time frame now.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Is this an avshalom rereg?

• Locked thread