Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

keiran_helcyan posted:

I think it would be pretty cool if Kvothe was both a demi-nerd shut-in and a tremendous bad rear end. Someone with world shattering powers and the inability to carry out a normal human conversation would be pretty entertaining.

The cover is the protagonist standing on a cliff's edge at dawn, dragon shirt and utilikilt fluttering in the wind...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Does anybody else feel like Rothfuss drew a little TOO heavily from LeGuin's Earthsea? I'm just getting around to reading the latter, and good lord...

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Evfedu posted:

EDIT: Wait, what, you can't come up with a parallel? In a two stories about two guys headin' off to Wizard School to become Master Namers?

Yeah, I mean, brash kid, has lots of natural but kinda wild talent, heads off to a school of wizardry to learn naming, there are lots of masters and they are all known by the type of wizardry they specialize in, he has a rivalry with a snooty rich kid, etc. Although it seems that Ged is a little better at growing up after getting his comeuppances

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Maybe he doesn't feel like finishing the series and is hoping for a GRRM/HBO-style ghostwriter deal.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Have there been any fictional games that haven't been terribly portrayed? Quidditch is a joke, Cyvasse is chess. The only vaguely interesting one is Iain M Banks's Damage - and as that's poker with electrocution and cyanide capsules it's probably not going to get approved by Hasbro.

Although obviously rather vaguely described, I thought Azad was a neat concept too. Kind of like a super complicated RTS from before those were really a thing.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Dammit I was excited about that game too, I loved Planescape.

How much of it has he mucked up? God drat does he seem to have a thing for street urchins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

anilEhilated posted:

It does. Thing is, each sequel owns less. Exponentially.
At this point I'm thinking Hyperion was a fluke - Simmons puts out so much crap he sometimes just happens to do a good book by accident.

The first sequel is pretty good. Hyperion will feel pretty incomplete without it. Do not read either Endymion under any circumstances.

• Locked thread