Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Do note that this "Write book 3" vs. "Play Fallout 4" thing is for more writing time over and above the time he's already spending writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Benson Cunningham posted:

So zero plus, oh wait he's playing fallout 4.

Still zero.

Gotcha.

Unless you're suggesting that he's just straight up lying, he says that he spends a given quantity of time each day working on writing the book.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
What would be the point or purpose to him lying to his fan base about working on his next novel?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
As a gimmick to raise money for charity, I can think of worse "stunts".

And again, this is for his free time. After his work writing time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

You put stunts in quotes. Do you mean to imply this isn't actually a stunt? Is there a specific stunt another writer has done that this should make me recall? Please help me understand.

I don't see anything wrong with it. He's raising money for charity and potentially devoting extra time to the book. It's a win win for everyone. Yeah, it's a stunt, but a harmless one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

That has nothing to do with my question of why you put stunt in quotes.

Because I felt that the use of the word 'stunt' was carrying an underserved negative connotation. Rendering it as "stunt" was an attempt to distance the word from said connotation.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pash posted:

Haha, oh man, Rothfuss is never gonna get this thing done is he?

He still actively working on it, so there's no reason to assume it won't eventually be released

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Minus all evidence that he has lost interest in the story, would rather invest his time doing literally anything else (including streaming a game he openly despises on said stream), and hasn't mentioned a completed first draft left, yes all the confidence in the world he is going to buck up and finish off the king killer duology.

The game stream is explicitly taking place after his normal writing hours for the day.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Trammel posted:

The structure & pacing is a mess. It's positioned as a 3 day tale, over 3 books, covering Kvothe's life, up till the point he becomes a bartender in a small town, without hope or magic. This backstory has a background of a country in chaos, while Kvothe is somehow responsible for causing, but he's still able to fight some mysterious monsters.

The first book kept to it's structure reasonably well, and established the characters and the narrative.

The second book, meandered a lot, repeated itself (I still don't understand what it's like to be poor. Please tell me again) and went on wild tangents to involve sex-ninja's and sex-goddesses that only Rothfuss, sorry Kvothe, are able to tame.

The third book simply has to cover too much to wrap up what was promised in the first in any kind of satisfying manner.

In 2013 he was predicting "It probably won't be 2015, but probably it isn't gonna be this year as well", ie. 2014 is the most likely date.

The initial premise was of a story that would explain his name, "The Broken Tree" and "Kvothe Kingkiller", and his claims, "I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in." Then there's also the Amyr and the Chandrian, and his hunt for them, and the resolution of his parents murder. Presumably the "doors of stone" are important in some way, and have to be explained. There's simply too much.

Given how much has left to be covered, in 1 single day, with Rothfuss' peculiar verbiage, and the 2 year delay, during which he's been diligently using his established "writing time" without letting cons, interviews, football, video games interfere with, his opinion that Doors of Stone will be shorter than Wise Man's Fear it's all a little hard to believe.

Personally, I expect him to announce that his editors have "forced" him to break his third book in to two, and then when the story is still not complete, announce that a fifth is "necessary" to really finish the story. etc. etc. etc.

While that's a decent enough breakdown, I'm not sure why you quoted my post when you made it....as none of this has anything to do with the eventual release of the next book itself.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dienes posted:

No, I'm pretty sure that we are past the point where we can accuse him of rushing.

Also it's hilarious of you think he's had a manuscript all this time.

I'm sure he's had some manner of first draft kicking around since the beginning. By his own admission he's basically scrapped it and started from the bare framework though.

It's like George Lucas and Star Wars. You can go back through a solid half dozen early story treatments that came before what actually became the 1977 smash hit.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
He also is under no obligation to work on his book 24/7. He's allowed to do things, even online/social media things, that are not "writing the third Kingkiller book"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Andrast posted:

People are also allowed to bitch about it.

Bitch about the guy keeping regular job hours on his profession? Sure. But it just makes you seem like as big an rear end as Rothfuss is accused of being.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Torrannor posted:

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time:

Book 1: The Eye of the World January 1990

Book 11: Knife of Dreams October 2005

Roughly 26 years for 11 books, less than 2.5 years per book. Then he died and it took four more year so publish the next book, but that's not really his fault after all.

Name of the Wind: March 2007

Wise Man's Fear: March 2011

Ah yes, because all authors are required to put out content at exactly the same rate as each other.

Who wants to call George R R Martin?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
That comparison once again is implying that every author is to be held to exactly the same standard of work. Some people write faster or slower and others. Books are of varying quality. This horseshit notion that Rothfuss cannot write at his own pace is infuriating. He has made no explicit promise to any release that that he's missed.

Has he gone past target windows? Yes. Am I disappointed that doors of stone isn't out yet? Yes. But am I going to bitch and whine about how Rothfuss isn't catering to my whims and getting the book out right when I want it? No. Because that's petty and childish and ignorant.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Ah yes, the author with two successful published novels (and some shorter works) is a failure. Right.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Earwicker posted:

in what sense?

The dude wrote some books and if you paid money for those books and enjoyed reading them then you got what you paid for already. you aren't really "owed" any additional books at all, the guy could choose to never write another book in his life but he still wouldn't owe you anything further.

His publisher of course is a different sense and he could certainly cause problems for himself by violating his contract. but no one "owes" future content to fans, that's some bullshit.

You said it better than I would have.

Rothfuss doesn't owe anyone (except probably his publisher) a drat thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ornamented Death posted:

You missed the point. Rothfuss owes his fans in the sense that they are the ones that let him do stuff like play Fallout 4 for charity; without his fans, he's just some goober on Twitch that no one cares about.

If you're really that butthurt about him not spending every waking moment writing, just forget all about him and follow authors that release books at your preferred pace.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not even giving him any "good will" outside of professional courtesy. The man absolutely does not deserve the entitlement-laden poo poo slinging that he's been getting.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ornamented Death posted:

You seem really upset that people aren't bowing down before the Throne of Rothfuss.

I don't care if you "bow down before the throne" or not. That's your call. But being a complete rear end towards him is absolutely asinine.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MrFlibble posted:

And you are a twat that will go to bat for the people you spend your money on for no other reason than you are insane. In the world of Jivjov anyone who sells something to him is sacrosanct, cannot be criticized, ever. You do this everywhere. I remember you defending rape games.

There's "criticism" and then there's "Rothfuss is playing video games instead of writing, where's the book, why isn't it out yet, why is he faffing about and doing AMAs instead of writing??"

I heartily encourage and love to read intelligent, well-rationed criticism, especially of things that I like. But mindless frothing and self-entitlement infuriates me to no end.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Evil Fluffy posted:

Saw 50 posts and foolishly thought something worthwhile happened, but no it's just jivjov blindly defending Rothfuss and failing to understand how people could be frustrated with a goony procrastinating writer who is milking his fans because he's probably afraid that his next book will be as bad as WMF.

If Rothfuss was a human printing press like Sanderson we'd be waiting on the last book of the next (Bast's?) trilogy instead of Doors of Stone right now, or we'd still be waiting but we'd have gotten a trilogy about the Amir or something in the meanwhile.

It's like you didn't even read any of my posts. I'm not "blindly defending" anyone. It's fine to be frustrated with a wait. What's not fine is acting like Rothfuss owes any of us anything. Or belittling him for doing "things that are not writing the book".

And if book 3 is of the same quality as book 2, I'll be perfectly happy indeed, as book 2 was great.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Habibi posted:

"But how does it taste?" asked Rothfuss.
"Yummy!" answered the fan, wiping their chin on a stained sleeve.

I should be mad...but this was actually really cleverly done.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

blue squares posted:

The draccus burned like two buildings. He didn't "burn down the town." And that expulsion doesn't count. Typical Kvothe tall tales!

Exactly. Tales of Kvothe don't match up at all to the reality of what happened. Even something as simple as the name of the major town near the University, Imre, gets distorted to Amary in the retellings.

Trebon had minor-to-moderate fire damage; over various retellings it becomes "the whole town burned to the ground"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

blue squares posted:

Oh and also the map in the beginning of the book is the laziest fantasy map I ever done saw

Even worse than Shannara's Eastland, Westland, Southland, and Northland?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Groovelord Neato posted:

That one guy defending the rich dude who has the easiest job in the world not finishing his book was my fave part of skimming the thread.

Are you calling "being an author" the easiest job in the world? Cause it really isn't...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Groovelord Neato posted:

It is once you've got a hit under your belt and a fanbase.

I'd debate with you...but you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Groovelord Neato posted:

Well, you sure showed me.

Here; I'll show you where you demonstrated your ignorance:

Groovelord Neato posted:

That one guy defending the rich dude who has the easiest job in the world not finishing his book was my fave part of skimming the thread.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

HIJK posted:

Please stop. This has gone from funny to embarrassing.

Yeah...Groovelord is just being an rear end for no reason...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

HIJK posted:

Actually I was talking about you.

Because I rightfully pointed out that being an author is not "the easiest job in the world"?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PJOmega posted:

I think "sitting around streaming Fallout 4 while being literally years (emphasis plural) past a due date" definitely ranks up there on the easiest job ever scale.

Is writing an easy job? No. Is not writing an easy job? Hell yes.

Are authors somehow suddenly obligated to literally never do anything else with their time than write?

Is he allowed to eat, or sleep? Or must he spend 24 hours a day writing in order to satisfy you?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

pentyne posted:

What is with this weird as gently caress Stockholm poo poo for book writers and their fans?

There's a reasonable and unreasonable amount of time an author can spend writer. Taking 4-7 years to write 1/3 of the amount the wrote in 5 years is pretty reflective of how much time they're actually committing to their work vs. how hard it is.

I remember the Locke Lamora author getting a shitload of grief for the gap between book 2 and 3 until he finally posted a personal as gently caress explanation about his crippling battle with depression and personal trauma.

http://relentlessreading.com/2015/03/29/depression-is-a-bastard-how-scott-lynch-faced-his-demons-and-became-a-bestseller/

Anyone who struggles with not killing themselves gets a bit of a pass for writing if that's the defense they choose to use.

On the other hand, we get GRRM who has been attending every convention he can, constantly blogging about the Jets, and not writing a goddamn thing, as well as Rothfuss who is constantly taking on other work (kickstarters etc.), writing different stuff (the Auri book), and then getting personally offended and raging when people confront him about progress for his next book. If it's supposed to be the job that pays his bills and is his livelihood, then anything less then 30-40 hours a week trying to write/edit/craft the story he's famous for is pretty loving amateur.

Remember, this is their chosen career. Should they just not work and coast on their laurels because "art is hard"? gently caress that, there's a point where a creative mind hits a wall and can't progress and where said creative mind just doesn't even bother giving a gently caress and does almost nothing because they don't have to.

Rothfuss is currently a pale shadow of GRRM, having this weird idea that he can gently caress off his writing job and goof around with his favorite hobbies and no one will challenge him on it. GRRM is already secure, no matter what he does the TV show royalties will keep him rich as gently caress until he dies, but Rothfuss is nothing more then another unfinished fantasy author with a great start who could flame out and retroactively destroy his good name.

So the only "excuse" for an author not writing fast enough to please Forums Poster pentyne is being literally suicidal? You are truly an awful human being.

If Rothfuss broke a publishing deadline, the publisher would drop him. Let them worry about relations with contacted authors; that's not really your concern (or any armchair critic).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ornamented Death posted:

But when we wait years longer than promised and TWMF is what we get...

By that metric, Doors of Stone is going to be PHENOMENALLY good.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ulmont posted:

How about being done with a book to begin with?

Being "done" with a trilogy written in highschool/college is a very different concept from being done with 3 professionally written and edited, mass-market releasable novels.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm not sure how people don't get the difference between people ragging on an author for not finishing their next book when it's a series versus it being standalone works. People "bought into" a series of books telling a single story and it's pretty lovely to just leave them hanging now that you got that money.

We are not owed Doors of Stone on any explicit timetable. Has Rothfuss promised and then missed release windows? Yes. But thus far he is still committed to releasing the book. When it gets officially cancelled or he drops dead without releasing it, then get mad about the story not being finished.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don't even care about "distractions" like playing the horrible Fallout 4, even having a life and stuff the book shoulda been done ages ago. Again, writing once you've "made it" is the easiest job you can have.

You still don't know a drat thing about being a professional author.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Andrast posted:

Have you ever been able to criticize a thing you like in any way?

Yes.

HIJK posted:

Well, neither do you.

I know enough to not say "Hurr durr its the easiest job in the world!!"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ulmont posted:

And yet, Rothfuss said he was done with the trilogy in 2007 and that it would be published by 2010. So you're saying he's been lying to us about being done as well?

Also this.

I again would like to put forward that there's a bit difference between "I am done with this trilogy I wrote in school" and "I am done with a trilogy of professional-level novels"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lottery of Babylon posted:

You obviously haven't read Wise Man's Fear.

I've read it several times and I love it. It's not quite as tight as the first book, but it's close.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The audiobook for book 1 is over 27 hours long, so if you're going to bitch about the story being too long to be told in one day, start there.

It's fiction; it doesn't actually have to be told in a single day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ulmont posted:

I again would like to put forward that Rothfuss, having published TNotW, should have known the difference by the time (2007) he told the world he was done with all three books and they would be published by 2010.

Well, he obviously was mistaken, as it is currently 2016 and Doors of Stone is still in progress.

• Locked thread