Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

A Nice Boy posted:

I dunno, I think he goes through some pretty hard poo poo, especially at the beginning when he's homeless. I just think that the fact that it's being narrated by him in the future takes some of the danger and suspense out of it, as we know that no matter what happens, he's going to survive to become this badass wizard. If he'd written the same story as a third person at the time it was happening, I think it would have felt a lot less "easy" for his character.

Right, but if it was in the third person Kvothe would be an absolutely insufferable Mary Sue. For me, at least, the first person narration mitigated that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I actually liked the whole retarded "man mother" bit. Before that I was wondering why a society where women are the warrior elite would practice nonstop humping with no knowledge of birth control so that their best fighters are perpetually pregnant or nursing. Rothfuss neatly resolves this incongruity by making it clear that the Adem are complete morons who don't know what fathers are, smile with their hands, wear shoes on their heads, and think hamburgers eat people.

• Locked thread