Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khatib
Nov 12, 2007

SaviourX posted:

The worldbuilding is p cool, for the little bits of it that get handed out. But coupled with little characterization (unless you really count the meta-fiction that may or may not play out), it's as most of you say--weak, thematically, even if the prose flows well.

See, I agree with this in general, but I still found it to be an entertaining book, and it's all the hints that the story is about to turn very dark in the near future that has me excited to continue the series. I think the first book was a kind of set up of a cliched fantasy narrative, but sometime in the next book, all of it is going to get flipped over and turned dark and a little depressing. At least that's my big hope. If it doesn't... well, it should at least be entertaining enough, if not a great plot. Kind of the novel version of a popcorn flick, if you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007

Lt. Jebus posted:

Not to beat a dead horse but I had all the same problems with Kvothe that most in this thread have had as well, but still really enjoyed the read.

You know, first time around, I really enjoyed the book, but I had this "Holy poo poo the author was a theater nerd in high school" vibe from it.

So I'm doing a re-read ahead of the new book coming out (should finish tonight with ease) and I have to say, after hearing all the complaints in this thread, and THEN reading the book again... I still feel there's a ton of pent up theater nerd issues behind the main character, and I feel the main character is petty douchey and pretentious at several points during the book, but I also feel that with the backstory he's been given, a lot of it plays off as appropriate.

On read two, even keeping an eye out for the things all the haters hate, it just doesn't bother me that much, and I'm looking forward to the second book in the series anyways.

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007
/\/\/\ It's so appropriate that that got posted by someone with a WILDCARDS tag.

Thoughts on the book:

Holy gently caress the Felurian part. Not a fan of that one bit. Both because it felt creepy as gently caress, and it was this total 180 for the character to go from shy to gently caress machine, and it continued onward out of the fae. If there wouldn't have been the whole un-inhibited gently caress bunnies thing right afterwards with the waitress, then the kung fu teacher... it would have bothered me a lot less, but the way Rothfuss went right to them, it just added so much to the creeper author self-insertion fantasy level of it all.

Tempi was awesome, but then was surpassed by the awesomeness of where he grew up, except for where that culture continued the creepy sex stuff.

As far as the Denna hate... I just don't get it at all. I don't know. I was awkward as gently caress with girls when I was in high school, and that's what age Kvothe is at this point in the story. And I was seeing a girl last year for a while who a)had a mother who got crippled in a car accident when she was a baby and b) had a boyfriend doing 2 years in jail for beating on her. She was co-dependent as gently caress. And really hot. Which made me pretty awkward about it the first few dates, including being shocked as poo poo she accepted my first incredibly drunken advances. But tell you what, after knowing that girl, Denna is pretty believable. Hot chick with baggage. There's tons of them out there.

Khatib fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 10, 2011

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007

LoSesMC posted:

Just finished this today. Some parts of it dragged but I want more. In the mean time, any suggestions on what to read next?

The Warded Man by Peter V Brett

Donkey posted:

Kvothe's helplessness: I haven't read Name of the Wind in a while, but I think I remember Kvothe claiming he had to kill an angel or somesuch to accomplish some goal. I always guessed that to mean that killed Denna (possibly related to the face that her patron may be a Chandrian - see Ash/Cinder theory) or let her die and the trauma from that ruined him mentally.

I just now had a revelation about this... and I finished the book a few days ago. Just hit me now reading the quote above about the rings.

When the mael or whatever the demon guy in the mercenary skin was called, attacked them in the inn, Kvothe broke a bottle on it but couldn't light it on fire. As the smith's apprentice noticed, he was obviously trying to light it on fire, but without using a flame. If Kvothe was really just a big phony and some sort of scam artist, perpetuating a scam of his own legend, he wouldn't have tried that in a very seriously dangerous situation like that, because he'd have known it wouldn't do anything. He obviously USED to be able to do those things, but just is failing at it now.

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007
Rothfuss reading another author's sex scene dialog with her at a book reading:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3Q7FziQb44

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007

Sophia posted:

He's not actually supposed to be much of a badass, he's just supposed to look like one.

Meh, says you. I'm still not sure just WHAT he's supposed to be. I don't know why I keep coming back to this thread. This is one set of books where so much of the chasing theories just seems too farfetched and assumptive for me. Like the ASOIAF series, that one I can talk about theories forever. Because so many of them seem very plausible and very grounded in the story. In this one, every theory about what's REALLY going on in "present day" in the books and how he gets from the past to that point -- it's such giant leaps from what is actually provided in the books and what the readers are hoping will be the truth of it at the end.

• Locked thread