Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx
Maybe I just don't get the prose but it's really painfully bad, especially when he tries to be 'poetic' or purple it up, which is constantly. The oft-quoted part about silence is really the worst, since not a single line in it makes any damned sense. The words are there, I understand the words, but it doesn't mean ANYTHING at all. I can't imagine any single bit of it, especially the cut-flower sound of a man dying. They don't sound anything alike. Stringing words together at random is not good prose.

I'd probably like the books better if a solid 3/4th of the first book wasn't repetitive money troubles and Wacky School Hijinxs and literally zero plot movement.

I think my third complaint is that I think introducing the Chandrian so early was a huge mistake, especially since everywhere else he did his best to try and make them seem more like eldritch horrors, when instead you get a really good look at the dude at the beginning and he's a Generic Dark Lord.

E: Blanked out on their names for a few minutes.

Also, I don't really buy that Kvothe is bad with women. He shows himself to be a master bullshitter who can read women super well and half the time he talks to Denna he lays out these presumably-smooth lines that makes her swoon and then whenever it's convenient for the narrative he acts like he just had a lobotomy and forgot everything about women.

Neremworld fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx

snooman posted:

Like finally acquiring a level of financial independence, leveling up his melee and unarmed stats, meeting a malicious oracle which may lead to great tragedy and chaos, acquiring his famous cloak, becoming more adept at naming and so on?

Truly a shame that sex was had in a book.

Didn't all of that happen in the last few hundred pages of the book? That doesn't really refute complaints about not much happening in the book. I just got done reading a fantastic 300 page YA novel where like, a huge amount more stuff happened in those three hundred pages then happened in like what? 1500 pages? That's the real problem.

Though to be fair, while the oracle tree is a great idea, I don't remember it telling him anything he literally did not know or hadn't decided to go deal with already. It seemed wasted to me.

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx

Whalley posted:

What if he's not a liar

What if he was just inaccurate at guessing times

what then

Considering that in an earlier interview he said they were all done and just needed editting.

And then in a later interview he reveals that he made have told a BIT OF A FIB when he said they were done. Like his draft of the second book got a few chapters in and then the rest of the chapters just had [INSERT SOME AMBROSE PLOT HERE] and really was, in fact, more of an outline.

That's probably why the books are taking so long.

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx

jivjov posted:

We are not owed Doors of Stone on any explicit timetable. Has Rothfuss promised and then missed release windows? Yes. But thus far he is still committed to releasing the book. When it gets officially cancelled or he drops dead without releasing it, then get mad about the story not being finished.

He is not owed our forgiveness or is immune to criticism for anything. It's entirely fair to criticize him for being ridiculous slow at writing. And people are more mad at him for lying about it a lot.

• Locked thread