Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

BananaNutkins posted:

She's not interesting.

Auri is the archetypical infantilized sexy baby mysterious girl. Examples: River from Firefly. Leeloo Multipass from the Fifth Element.

Rothfuss is a huge fan of Whedon, who has a hard on for those types of characters.

It's a little more than that, though you are right about Whedon. Auri is also damaged in some way and Kvothe feels the need to protect her because of it. I liked Auri when I read the story but then Pat started talking about how she was beautiful to the story, which made me think about it a little more and made me a little sick the more I thought about the fetish for damaged-but-innocent women. It'll be interesting to see how he views Auri as more of an individual though with his novella. Slightly withholding judgement until I read it.

About Devi...I didn't pick up on it until I listened to the audiobook for WMF, but about the reason she was expelled: did Professor Dahl try to make a move on her and she defended herself? When Kvothe confronted her about his blood, he tried restraining her and she went absolutely batshit and said something about Dahl attempting something similar. Thoughts? Something about that scene really made my skin crawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

ulmont posted:

Auri is clearly not normal, but I haven't seen a real damage / abuse connection other than her being skittish of people. I agree that her mystic nature and general attraction for Kvothe is related to her not being normal, but again I see less of a sexual connotation for Auri.

I had the feeling she had lost her name somehow and Kvothe gave it back to her/gave her another one. Maybe damaged isn't the right word...vulnerable? Innocent and vulnerable. Isn't she also a little older than him too? I agree there isn't really anything sexual between them. It'll be interesting to see her novella to see what she's really like rather than how Kvothe see's her.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
I remember an interview somewhere where he didn't have the fairy sex stuff in the original draft as much as he does in the final. His editor was like "there isn't enough sex in this book fantasy books have sex put more sex in this book". Not sure if that's true or not or if I'm remembering correctly.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

WastedJoker posted:

I had wondered if Kingkiller was going to tie in with avenging his family's death but I'm starting to think that Rothfuss will catch us up to present day, Bast will kick Kvothe out of his emo status and then we pick up the tale of Kvothe's final journey of justice.

Yeah? And when is he going to finish *that* book/series?

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
One of rothfuss's influences was Casanova, where he goes on all of these neat adventures and has sex with a lot of women. So there's that I guess.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
Probably both...I assumed that she saw the ability to name as being similar to raping different things by exerting your will on them, which she clearly makes every effort to avoid.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
Hrm...For some reason I remember a line when she was making his candle about how you shouldn't force your will on the world or somesuch but she decided to ignore that for him since she didn't have time, but I can't find it.

edit: actually, now that I think about it, was she naming or shaping at the end?

Flattened Spoon fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 25, 2015

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

My pet theory is that Denna's "Magic of words that make things true" is the power of the Singers. Possibly demonstrated by her weaving the word beautiful into her hair, which Kvothe saw through as the word instead of the abstract "name" beautiful applied to herself. Bast and Chronicler are trying to do the same thing with this book. Possibly in conjunction with Skarpi. Kvothe's father and mother were true Singers, and he may have inherited some of it. Make Kvothe a badass hero for real by making the story true, so that they have a badass hero to fight the issues that Kvothe may or may not have ushered in.

I was going to post something similar. If it's true, it'd be interesting what the implication are ie. there's still a silent war going on where the Amyr and Chindarian are trying to get rid of all of the records of themselves and possibly rewrite their history/existence. Example is discrepancy between Skarpi's story and Denna's song of Lanre. Also Chronicler's book about the Draccus where he made it less dangerous...why is it mentioned so much? It's just weird...unless if it's for Chronicler's benefit.

Flattened Spoon fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 24, 2015

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

He has a cheese puff stuck in his beard.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
I had an epiphany today. The "fae" is really the internet. That whole section is Kvothe discovering the internet. That whole Felurian bit was really a sex cam, where Kvothe spends all of his hard-earned cash. No wonder he's so poor and always talking about money. Cthae or whatever is our young Kvothe's first troll. That amazing cape thing he gets is a purchase from Amazon. "I don't know how long I was there, there was no passings of days, I don't remember what I ate (Doritos)" or whatever...it all makes so much sense now.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
UGH. And here I thought with all of these new posts in the Patrick Rothfuss thread there was an update for when book three was coming out.

NOPE.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

Benson Cunningham posted:

Rothfuss was never alluding to a plague doctor and was creating a purely fictional comparison that he then needed to over explain anyway to get his point across.

Well to be fair, nerds would be ripshit if he actually said plague doctor.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
Apparently Rothfuss is a big fan of bathos, or deflating a tense situation with humor or something. Now that you spell it out though, it does feel a little odd and wrong since he didn't really do it that well.

I've never studied literary criticism though, so this is really interesting and enlightening. Thanks.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
I'd be more worried about getting my head smashed against a big rock than getting scraped by rocks on the bottom. I'm going to view his sword as a big warhammer now.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

quote:

If there is one thing I will not abide, it is the folly of a willful pride.

I literally lmao'd when I read this.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

Nakar posted:

Titus Andronicus has pretty much the best "I banged ur mom last night" comeback of all time, too.

Sold.

Also less thread making GBS threads more book making GBS threads. I was wondering when people would suddenly blow the thread up with criticisms about criticisms from criticisms by lamps.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
gently caress I don't even know who's trolling who now.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

Peel posted:

Moby Dick rules, and the chapters that just talk about whales and whaling rather than advancing the narrative double-rule.

Someone from the Real Literature Thread said those chapters serve to take the mysterious monstrosity that is Moby Dick and attempt to define and reduce it into something that is known and benign. Or something. I don't really know because I haven't read it yet. Maybe I should now.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

Maxwells Demon posted:

So I just popped in the audio book for Name of the Wind after years of reading both books. It's been pretty good up until the troupe gets murdered, then I remember Tarbean being a lovely interlude, and the Arcanum/Academy/Wizard School being where it got good again.

So I have two questions for this thread:
1) What chapter does he leave Tarbean so I can just skip to that
2) Is there any timeline whatsoever for when the 3rd book of Kingkiller will be out?

He leaves Tarbean in chapter 33. However, he arrives at the university chapter 36. Reason I mention this is because this is when we meet Denna in between these chapters.

Also, the timeline is basically whenever he feels the book is good enough. Which is probably never. It wouldn't surprise me if he has a policy when if someone pisses him off about the third book not being out he stops working on it for the day.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
Kingkiller is about everything Rothfuss finds interesting, whether it be money systems, coupling thermodynamics with magic systems, sex, the concept of stories being distorted through different peoples interpretations and influences, people (or at least Rothfuss's concept of people) like Auri and Elodin, etc. and intertwining all of his interests into one story about a person like Casanova who goes on grand adventures and has sex a lot, but putting a fantasy twist in it and turning it into a tragic story. Thing is, Rothfuss tries to do all of these geeky things and they end up conflicting with each other and clashing. Lamps is pretty much spelling out instances where all of these different influences clash so there's no central theme to hold onto.

Is this bad? I remember enjoying the NotW but when I finished I remember feeling the whole thing was kind of pointless and left me feeling a little empy and cold.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The series is about Kvothe's legend. We both agree.

Kvothe and his legend don't represent anything. Again we agree.

Therefore, the series doesn't represent anything - in other words, it's about nothing.

His legend represents stories being twisted into something else either by himself or by other people vs. what actually happened, which is what Kvothe is narrating.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

Lottery of Babylon posted:

This is definitely the attempted theme, but WMF kind of undercut that.

In the first book, we see Kvothe "burn down the town of Trebon" by being present when a heroin-addicted lizard sets a few houses on fire. In the second book, we see Kvothe "spend the night with Felurian and escape with his life and sanity" by being so good at loving she doesn't believe he's a virgin so then he fucks a sex fairy for months.

In the first book, we see Kvothe "call down fire and lightning" by igniting some magnesium to produce a bright light. In the second book, we see Kvothe "call down fire and lightning" by calling down fire and lightning.

Goddamnit I forgot.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
Ok new theory: story is about Kvothe being A Nice Guy toward Denna and then having that whole situation blow up in his face like it tends to.

ChickenWing posted:

Perhaps Kvothe symbolizes an ideal person then? Something to strive to be? A heroic archetype? All of the stories seem to be about his extraordinary accomplishments and how he was forged from nothing into a superhuman.

Oh god I hope not.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

SpacePig posted:

The idea of "Kvothe the Bloodless" being chalked up to medicinal roots is the only thing that I can think of off the top of my head that has been a subversion of his assumed legend.

His explanation of calling down lightning in WMF is pretty boring compared to actually calling the name of lightning.

edit: also passing his entrance exam by completely wowing the professors and getting paid to go to school can be chalked up to cheating by listening to prior exams. Not sure if that was a legend or not though.
double edit: but some of those questions weren't asked to some of those students but he still wowed the professors with his answers, so meh.

Flattened Spoon fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 2, 2016

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

quote:

I moved a finger and the chord went minor in a way that always sounded to me as if the lute were saying sad.

Hey, this...what is this? a simile? This simile was really evocative to me because Kvothe showed he was able to express his emotions with music which he wasn't able to do with words. Even if it was with someone elses lovely loot.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd say metaphor. But being a musician it hurts my eyes reading it. Describing a minor chord as an instrument saying "sad" is like hearing a child describe a mountain as really really really really really super duper big.

Yeah the first time I read it seriously kicked me out of the story. Like really Rothfuss?

Actually I think I remember all of these quotes Lamps is rothfuss-attributing, and I'm not one to remember quotes usually.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
Don't they also give a sense of uneasiness or longing? It's been a while since I've studied music, but minor chords "sound sad" and major chords "sound upbeat and happy" is something we learn in elementary school.

What really gets me is he explains his metaphor in the same sentence in such a banal and obvious way that it counteracts the metaphor itself. Just Ugh.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2YJcxgj-WU

Flattened Spoon fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 16, 2016

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

why did he make the hero a ginger.

Because it makes him more of an outcast than he already is ie. poor, gypsie, an arrogant PITA, etc.

edit: actually, has he even been affected by his gingerness?

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
I'm looking forward to a Legend-of-the-Seeker kind of redux myself.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

Hughlander posted:

Anything he says while discussing a book is objective fact.

Well he does back up whatever he says with quotes taken directly from the book and no one (can or is bothering to) give counterpoints which is backed up directly with quotes from the book...so...unless someone does that it's "objective fact"....I guess.

Anyways, a proper analysis on why the books are crap are better than pages of Rothfuss Isn't Writing The Next Book or the books are crap anyways so why care if he is writing or not.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah, except those two situations are nothing alike. It's pretty lovely to compare Kvothe desperately wanting to be part of something he's lost to a girl who isn't in a right state of mind and being taken advantage of. Or even that first situation, where he compares a mutual relationship between two people vs. a passion he develops on his own or with a group of people. I mean, what, is music suddenly going to lose interest in him and walk out or something? He just needs to be more proactive about it for him to "get it back" or whatever.

edit: am I learning to read this correctly now? The writing does look shittier and shittier the closer I look at it.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

Dumpster poo poo awful!

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

an overdue owl posted:

I think this is a wonderful thread, BravestOfTheLamps and you've made a lot of really excellent and interesting points. Rothfuss is also a terrible writer, make no mistake about that! I think you might have been jumping the gun a bit here though. The simile here is really overwrought and not very effective, but it does make sense. When he evokes the hint of a sunset against grey clouds I suppose he wants to make the reader think of a subtle tint or a slight cast of colour against an overwhelmingly dark background. The 'emotion' in his voice is subtly effecting his otherwise stoic demeanour. It's clumsy, especially in context, but it does make sense.

quote:

he said, emotion touching the edges of his voice like a hint of red sunset against the slate-grey clouds.

If you looked at just the simile without any of the context, what is it trying to say? To me, a red sunset is something beautiful and experiencing it after slate-grey clouds is a nice experience. Is it pride, love or happiness after being so gloomy all of the time?

Also a lot of Rothfusses descriptions are very elemental for some reason - comparing things to stones and fire and thunder and...clouds.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So I've read a bit of Benvenuto Cellini's autobiography.

I tried looking for this on Amazon and the reviews on it are :psyduck: https://www.amazon.com/Autobiography-Benvenuto-Cellini-Penguin-Classics/dp/0140447180 They talk about the history of Islamic tolerance and persecution and whatever. Is this Amazon fuckery or something?

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

readers seem to want to read the same book again and again.

Isn't that pretty much the definition of genre fiction?

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
There were a few in the Tarbean section (the serving girls selling food and stuff to Kvothe and one during the demon night thingy who gave him money), the wife who transported him to the University, uhh...maybe some in Trebon.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

neongrey posted:

I believe it's the story he submitted to Writers of the Future, iirc. Since I think he either won or placed highly in whatever year it was, it's probably simple enough to track down.

Yeah think it's called the road to levinshire. Still don't understand why he copy pasta'd it into the book though. And why do I even know that :saddowns:

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

There were gay characters? Who?

After he first played at the Eolian, there was a pair who were sitting together upstairs. One of them hit on him. He hoped he didn't make an rear end of himself when he reacted to it.

E. Also the owners of the Eolian are together.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
What do you think Marion's wife's name is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I know men can sympathize and advocate for feminism,"

I think that's the definition for being a feminist. Though then again I'm a dude so

edit: though not understanding what feminism is is another thing.

Flattened Spoon fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 7, 2016

• Locked thread