Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I used to read a ton of fantasy as a teenager (note: I'm 25 now) and a high school buddy of mine never stopped and told me to read The Name of the Wind as an example of current, good fantasy.

I thought it was terrible. When you have a perfect hero who is good at everything and villains who are just dumb bullies, there is never any sort of tension to the story. As a result I don't really care what happens to the protagonist.

The arrogant young buck vs. broken man dichotomy could have worked if it wasn't a bloated fantasy novel and moved quicker and had more of old Kvothe. For how well edited the book is supposed to be, you have entirely superfluous sections. The long period of time where he is a beggar is completely pointless since he easily adapts back to normal life (which is completely ridiculous btw; Can you imagine having your parents killed at a young age and living several years on the street and not being socially/emotionally hosed for at least a few years??). The ending is equally pointless and feels really out of place.

Also the love interest and most of the women in the novel are embarrassingly bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Oh man, what a creep. Women must stay the fake innocent 16 year olds they will always be in my head! Gross.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
That's a dumb question because we live in a patriarchal society that has oppressed and infantalized women for basically ever. It'd still be weird if it was the reverse but it wouldn't be feeding into thousands of years of men-owning-women objectification. Men have never really been valued for their virginity or condemned for promiscuity, there is no comparison.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

isochronous posted:

And there's a big difference between "But I have a black friend!" and "I'm dating a black woman!" At least, in my mind, there is. Would you disagree?

I would disagree... other than maybe making the hypothetical person more of a dick for still having racist opinions.

Serious question: Do you think casually sexist, overprivileged men do not date women ever or something? Pat has a wife or at least serious partner right?

• Locked thread