Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Kvothe cosplayer:

I love the idea of Kvothe being distinctly goonish. From now on, this is how I'm picturing him. In dark alleys with Auri. Following Denna around. In the arms of Felurian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

CestMoi posted:

The OP to this thread is not at all helpful re: who is Patrick Rothfuss.

Effectronica posted:

I believe he's a fantasy author of some kind?

No I'm pretty sure he's some racist.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

keiran_helcyan posted:

If the scam is really nothing more than [Bursar and Kvothe steal money from the Maer, neither the Maer or the University check the math], then why do the song and dance routine? Even if Kvothe's tuition was low, the Bursar could still inflate the fake bill to whatever he wanted and pocket the difference from the Maer.

I assume bombing the entrance exam was cover to make the high tuition for the oh-so-smart Kvothe not raise any eyebrows, and I imagine that if Bursar tried it without Kvothe's participation he'd be caught pretty quickly, most likely by Kvothe.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Srice posted:

His blog features things like a large post about circumcision, as well as a really terrible metaphor to describe why he hates the Lord of the Rings movies. It's certainly special, alright.

I love how he's simultaneously a feminist, but can only express his dislike of something in terms of 'this woman didn't stay as pure as she was in my fantasy, and that's terrible.'

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Vincie posted:

the biggest problem with kvothe's "poverty" is that he repeatedly screws up his chances to be financially stable by loving with ambrose. he'd be well off otherwise. knowing that, the constant scrambling for money gets tiresome after the first incident.

Plus the impulsive spending that he acknowledges as being stupid. "Sure, I could spend this money on tuition, room, and board....or I can buy an insanely expensive instrument immediately and figure out how I'll eat later!"

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

AKA every young adult.

That argument loses weight the second you realize that its the only 'normal' trait Kvothe has.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

PupsOfWar posted:

There are much better choices for people who enjoy purple prose, even within the fantasy genre. It is hard to admire him for the "And it was a silence of three parts," passage when there are authors like Mervyn Peake who are that lavishly descriptive on a consistent and cohesive basis. And that's without even getting into yer canonical Great Authors.

It took three tries to start reading NotW because every time I started reading that Three Part Silence bit I found it utterly pretentious and put it down.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Campbell posted:

That's a great pic, I can't tell which one of them is more underwhelmed

They are just trying to stay in-character.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

adamarama posted:

I'd also recommend the prince of thorns trilogy, strong from start to finish.

I love the setting and ancillary characters, but Jorg or whatever is like if Kvothe and King Joffrey had a love child.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

M_Gargantua posted:

Almost completely disagree. The time lines and locations differ to much to match.

However the descriptions of Meluan use the same adjectives and points of focus (neck, lips) as Denna. Hence, Netalia Lackless is Dennas mother

Except you are forgetting the entire song about Netalia.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

organism posted:

I've read both books more than once and I have to admit I initially assumed Denna was sleeping with all the guys she "dated". It took reading some internet discussion and reviews to see that she was a con-artist.

I think my misconception came from the lack of "proper courting etiquette" that's usually bandied about in medieval-ish fantasy. If women aren't portrayed as chaste, shrinking violets, who will only be seen with a gentleman caller in the company of a proper chaperon, then I automatically apply my modern dating standards to the situation which is basically "3 or more dates equals sex".

I actually didn't think she slept with her suitors until her saves the wannabe prostitute and discusses her options, one being very, very similar to what Denna herself does, with the statement that even the best horse is 'going to be ridden.'

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Solice Kirsk posted:

Kvothe and Denna are far and away the least interesting characters in the books. A tree that had one paragraph is more interesting than two characters that have had several hundreds of pages dedicated to them. Hell, even Kote is more interesting than Kvothe.

Bast's novella was my favorite thing Pat's written.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Odette posted:

Still don't know why he's called a poet killer, or king killer.

I have a feeling both of these refer to killing the same guy. A Poet-King, if you will.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Tuna_Fish_Odyssey posted:

Or Rothfuss wanted a way for his main character to have awesome ninja sex without having to worry about commitment or the emotions of anyone other than Kvothe.

See also literal sex goddess incapable of that kind of emotion, and tavern wench into NSA sex.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I want to start a drinking game where someone tells you the name of a move and you have to guess if it relates to Sex or Swordfighting.

Tumbling leaf!

Break lion!

Thousand hands!

Beaten Willow!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Karnegal posted:

Lynch killed off too many of his characters in the first book. It sort of limits your options in a long series.

I was really hoping they'd pick up a new protege or two like Bug in The Republic of Thieves.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Tuna_Fish_Odyssey posted:

This is how I will choose to imagine Kvothe from now on.

I'm sticking with this one.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Johnny Truant posted:

I finished The Slow Regard of Silent Things a few days ago, and honestly was not very impressed. I enjoy Auri and all, don't get me wrong, but it felt to me that most of the book was just him repeating the same lines about her quirks repeatedly, over and over again, until they're not really novel or flavourful anymore, they're just irritating. I liked following her train of thought and scurrying around the Underthing, but I felt like the writing was very lackluster.

Is his short story about Bast worth reading, in whatever short-story compendium?

Ah, but you see, Auri thinks with that kind of repetition, so its artsy! Somehow.

I really enjoyed the Bast story, much better than Slow Regard.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Solice Kirsk posted:

I actually enjoyed the second book more than the first, but like the entire second half drags on. If Rothfuss didn't use incredibly stupid names for absolutely everything I think I would have been able to put up with it more. Sentences like: "I lowered myself into Heart of Stone, then countered Flying Fists with Lily of the Tiger" are used to describe every single thing, from magic, to sex, to fighting.

There's some interesting stuff in there, but it seems to get blown over pretty quickly to more mundane boring garbage. I'd say read a synopsis of it and if it sounds interesting then go ahead and read the whole thing. Honestly, there is nothing surprising at all in the book.

I suppose its a way to break up the "I am poor and took out a loan. I am poor, how will I pay off this loan? I will borrow money to pay off this loan. I paid this loan and now I am broke."

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Solice Kirsk posted:

I took the doll from The Slithery D in one smooth motion using Leaf Turning in Air. Grabbing it firmly I gestured to the spot where Kvothe had touched me. It was a gesture in two parts.

Perfect, except we need 2 more paragraphs describing how it was two parts, and telling me how hard your alar was when he touched you.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Solice Kirsk posted:

True, but he still hosed a sex goddess better than she has been hosed before and hosed sex ninjas while learning their fighting skills. And also got patroned by a king-ish dude, got his schooling paid for by said king, found a way to make extra money off his king patron, and literally call lightning from the sky to smite an Chandrian. Where as in the first book he learned to play a lute because he was homeless and had nothing better to do, cheated on his exams to get into Hogwarts, stumbled rear end backwards into naming, and just barely beat a big drug addicted lizard with sympathy.

It just seems like first book him was lucky and second book him was getting almost omnipotent. I can only imagine that in book 3 he will be literally flying, shooting laser beams out of his eyes, and maybe, just maybe, finally rescue that damned princess from the barrow king damnit!

To be fair, I don't think he was her best lay, he was just the best virgin lay to the point where she didn't believe he was one.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

DeadmansReach posted:

I thought it had nothing to do with his sexual prowess and more to do with the fact that he was able to name her.

Also didn't he get his rear end kicked in his sex-ninja final test? After getting his rear end kicked repeatedly by a little girl?

There's a whole exchange where he says the sex is nice, she gets offended, he says he was a virgin, and she goes on this big "But you were like a summer storm! The crashing wave! Other nature events! You're too good in bed to be a virgin!"

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Khizan posted:

I just filed all this stuff under the category of "You're the biggest I've ever had"-type bullshit.

If it was any other series, so would I.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Benson Cunningham posted:

So, your inability to tell satire and true statements from one another aside, countless:

-Keep people engaged so they buy the book when it comes out
-Keep people engaged so they continue buying his side projects
-Make sure his publishing house doesn't sue him or revoke his contract (or penalize him to a lesser extent)
-Talk about writing his book because it's easier to do than actually writing his book
-Avoid further vitriol from people for not writing

The list goes on.

You forgot the biggest: To cue the whiteknight fans to fellate him.

Seriously, that was the most self-serving poo poo I've ever seen in a blog post. Because of course you can only choose to do ONE and an adult can't loving manage his time.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Looks like old man Roth did an AMA on reddit. It's fairly depressing to read. His tone jumps back and forth between depression and outrage at the world.

He also refused to comment on book three. He then insinuated that people who care more about it than his charity are poo poo heels.

Never change Pat.

I just assumed he fucks with the charity meter.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

picklefish posted:

him freaking out about the fallout 4 distress signal where the mom and kid were already dead for 100 years and shutting off stream was so good. give me more.

I pulled up a few videos of the stream. His mouth hangs open more than Jon Snow.

Edit: He also bitches so much the entire time about the writing and story of the game I'm suspecting the people 'howling' for book three are selecting Fallout 4 to punish him.

Dienes fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 29, 2015

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

picklefish posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/patrickrothfuss "Patrick Rothfuss streams Writing Book Three - Dec 3rd."

Edit: whoops. he literally turned off stream within a minute of me posting this.

I like how it went from "Writing book 3 versus Fallout 4" to "Fallout 4 versus something besides Fallout 4."

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
No, I'm pretty sure that we are past the point where we can accuse him of rushing.

Also it's hilarious of you think he's had a manuscript all this time.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Diamir posted:

As far as his publisher is concerned he may actually be contractually obligated to deliver the third book on some kind of timeline but I wouldn't know. As far as I'm concerned he's not obligated to do anything and I could not care less whether he ever finishes it. I get more entertainment out of seeing examples of his narcissistic personality disorder trickle into this thread than I could ever get out of reading the third book.

I think if he is soliciting donations with promises of a book, he probably should deliver the book at some point.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

blue squares posted:

I haven't read that, but NotW has all this random poo poo like a "great stone road" that goes to loving nowhere for hundreds of miles and is never mentioned in the book. And there is no scale. And half the cities mentioned in the book don't appear on the map

The great stone road is there to distract you from the fact that he just tweaked a map of Europe.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Earwicker posted:

I used to sometimes watch videos of people playing Dark Souls 2 just to figure out how to do something in the game, but I dont think it would be improved or matter if the player was some fantasy author. is Rothfuss supposed to be particularly good at Fallout 4 or something? I mean its a game about collecting scrap metal and building shacks in boston I don't think I'd want to watch anyone play it, it's tedious enough being the player.

I watched parts of it and the best part was him bitching about the game's writing.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Solice Kirsk posted:

I never understood the "cut-flower sound" thing. It sounds like he just picked something random and applied it to something it has no business expounding on. Like if I were to say, "He had the swiftly sewn hunger of generations in his starless night eyes." Sounds super profound, but try to explain what the gently caress I just said.

We should play a game where people have to guess if a metaphor is from Slow Regard or a Deepak Chopra generator.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

HIJK posted:

Doesn't Octavia Butler also have tons of rapey BDSM stuff in her books?

I'm not judging, that's just what I heard. Sounds like something I'd like to miss...

There's sexual relationships that are...uncomfortable....in a couple of her books, but for those scenes the discomfort was part of the point and went with the theme/characterization in the novel. None of it came off as meant to titillate, or even really explicit, unless is one of the few books of hers I haven't read.

Perhaps you are thinking of Hamilton?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Peel posted:

It's just there to associate it with glistening, flowing water, stony hardness, nature and so on, and that it's lethality isn't in the form of being huge and imposing. Maybe 'dangerous' would have been better but this really feels like stretching to complain about something pretty straightforward.

Its fine to conjure imagery, but if he is trying to specifically conjure images of deadliness, he failed. Glistening water isn't exactly the first thing you think of when you think deadly.

I'd be willing to bet that he picked it because he liked the alliteration. He seems like a for over function guy.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

jivjov posted:

In comparison to a sword, I can think of several deadly connotations to water. Water currents can sweep you off course or off your feet. You can drown, or be bashed against rocks, or taken through rapids or over a waterfall.

No arguments here. But there's posters that read that and think of "glistening water" or "fluid grace" or the erosion of a river, so 'dangerous' doesn't seem to be the first and foremost quality being drawn by the poetic comparison.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Odette posted:

I'm sorry, but there's only two parts. The third is just Fallout 4.

This was fitting, as the third silence was the deepest and most encompassing of the three, enfolding the others in itself. It was the plain paper sound of a blank book being narrated.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Has anyone seen the TV version of The Magicians? It.... is really, really bad. It's such a morass I don't know how to begin explaining it. Basically the only thing it shares with the source material is the starting setup and the character's names.

Now that is unfair. They made sure to include fox loving from the source material.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Hughlander posted:

Workplace drama / comedy about being a poor college student at Not Hogwarts. Good for four seasons easily.

Yeah but we already got The Magicians on Syfy.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

ChickenWing posted:

I continue to be completely and utterly confused by what you lot find unlikable.

Huh? Why is this important? Is age not a normal part of descriptions?

Some people find it creepy to simultaneously infantalize a grown woman while also sexualizing someone who is mentally like a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

ChickenWing posted:

No you're fine, I was joking because even in this thread most people didn't like Slow Regard.

There's only so many ways you can give quirky human traits to inanimate objects before it gets boring.

• Locked thread