Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Especially since the answer is March 1, 2010. He's turned in the manuscript and everything.

But yeah, I loved Name of the Wind. Even apart from the great characters (Kvothe is awesome :colbert:), plot, and magic system, the writing is simply gorgeous. The book flows so incredibly well, I accidentally read for eight hours one night and only stopped because I realized it was getting light outside.

Also, you might want to add a little more content to the OP. Maybe Kvothe's introduction, since it gives a nice taste of the book's tone.

Edit for additional content: With regards to Kvothe's character, I think Rothfuss actually did a fantastic job making an extremely intelligent, good-looking character flawed. He's really reckless; the only reason he gets away with it is because he's clever, and even that doesn't get him off scot-free all the time. I think a lot of people also forget that that character is 15 years old, which accounts for both the recklessness/abuse of his intelligence and for his ineptitude with women even though Denna and Fela would be all over that.

Mahlertov Cocktail fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

mastur posted:

Yeah it was quite easy to lose time reading this. Kvothe is obviously a skilled musician, but I would argue that Rothfuss (who does not play) has a keen understanding of rhythm as well.

This reminds me how much I loved how big of a role music had in the story. I can so relate to the nervousness of performing a solo in front of a large, critical audience and with not wanting to let others touch my instrument. The scene at the Eolian where Kvothe auditions for his talent pipes is so well done.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

A Nice Boy posted:

True, though I think they laid the groundwork for that stuff at the very end of the book, if you remember what happens. I wish they'd done a little more foreshadowing as far as whoever the big enemy/ies turn out to be, but I figured this is just the first third of the story...We just haven't been introduced to the big antagonists yet.

:confused: But... the Chandrian? Haliax?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Dr Scoofles posted:

Also, I myself can still really enjoy a story even if the baddy isn't an all powerful Voldemort style figure. Ambrose is an irritating little shitbag, and it's fun to read about irritating shitbags getting 'what's coming to them'. (Thats the only reason I read Sharpe novels, to read how some jumped up officer gets kicked in the bum by a scruffbag round about page 300.)

But we know he's underestimating Ambrose because Kvothe says that Ambrose gets him kicked out of the University further down the line. Additionally, I didn't get the impression that Rothfuss is setting the Chandrian up to be pushovers.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Chaglby posted:

I understand that the character is telling his own story and making himself out to be a bad rear end superstar at everything, but why is that entertaining? Everyone knew that kid when they were younger, the one that would make poo poo up all the time to sound cool and impress people. Nobody wants to hear that kid's stories, so why do I want to know how this dude saved a princess while rocking out a perfect solo on his lute after killing a dragon with a pen knife. It just doesn't seem like I could get into it at all.

That's... not an accurate description of the book at all. How about you read it then decide for yourself if you like it. Although your confirmation bias is probably be so strong at this point that you wouldn't let yourself like it even if it were appealing to you.

Edit: Came off as more confrontational than I intended. Still, you should maybe read enough to judge for yourself before saying that a book is bad. :)

Mahlertov Cocktail fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 15, 2010

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Benson Cunningham posted:

I think Patrick Rothfuss is writing an expose on the underpaid average author half the time.

Or the poor undergrad scrambling to find tuition.

A Nice Boy posted:

True, hah...Was very tired when I was writing that, and spaced it. That said, we see so little of them that I still feel we haven't really been introduced to what is going to be the main conflict.

It's true that we didn't see much of them, but considering they were the ones who killed Kvothe's family and the rest of the troupe plus the background story about Lanre/Haliax indicates to me that Kvothe is going to confront them at some point.

Mahlertov Cocktail fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 15, 2010

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Eerkik posted:

March can't come quick enough. Oh well, I should probably take the time and catch up on the Malazan books and finish The First Law trilogy.

I think my winter break is going to be almost entirely devoted to finishing my first read of Wheel of Time.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Dramatika posted:

I can't wait for this to come out... less than 3 weeks away! I already have mine pre-ordered with release day delivery too :woop:

Same! This, the new Strokes album... March is automatically a good month.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Man, I love Elodin. I'm looking forward to reading this book so much.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Mine's on its way, but didn't get here early. Oh well, I still have a decent amount of my previous book to read, so that's probably good. I'm super pumped, though! :dance:

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I'm about 200 pages into the book and loving it so far. I like how Elodin is getting a bigger part in this book--I love his sensible brand of craziness. Also, never did get the hate for the Denna parts, and still don't; maybe it's just that I'm not that far from when I was 15 and that big of an idiot about girls.

But really, like Name of the Wind, the thing I love most is just how drat immersive and readable Rothfuss's writing is. I just started today and can barely read how far I've read, considering how I don't read very quickly at all.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

xwonderboyx posted:

But in terms of the character he was speaking to that is perfectly acceptable.

Yeah, he made me think that Rothfuss just started using "nekkid" instead of "naked," when he only used it when quoting Auri and referencing that same quote like two pages later.

Bizob posted:

All in all I'm also liking that Kvothe is shown loving things up because he is such an overpowered rear end in a top hat who doesn't think through the consequences of his actions.

I haven't read Name of the Wind since last year, but I distinctly remember this happening a lot even in the first book, which is why I didn't get it when people were tearing the character apart for being too one-sided. He's a kid who's extremely smart, which gets him in over his head because he doesn't have enough wisdom to question whether he should be doing something.

Mahlertov Cocktail fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 3, 2011

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Lyon posted:

Further, I think while Kvothe is in love with her, he on some level knows she's so screwed up that he's better off waiting. Sure, he probably could have slept with her on a few different occasions now, but he's hoping for more than just a one time thing.

Not done with the book yet (maybe 350 pages in; I'm slow :() but I loved the part when Wil straight-up called him out on just being scared of rejection.

Lyon posted:

Kvothe is the Ted Mosby of this world.

You're awesome for this.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Not quite done, but I just got through the Felurian segment. It wasn't nearly as bad/creepy as I thought it would be based on this thread (didn't read the spoiler tags, but I got the general feeling). More drawn-out than it had to be, but it still ended up having a good deal of impact on the plot with regards to the Chtaeh. Though much of the rest of it was just an excuse to get Kvothe laid, which Rothfuss could've done in a less contrived way that could make Kvothe more human to boot. But oh well.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I feel like he may well be just referring to Kvothe's story to Chronicler. There's obviously no way he's going to fit a satisfying conclusion to Kvothe's past and further the present-day story significantly, so the trilogy'll probably wrap up the past and then he may or may not write present-day Kvothe.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Daico posted:

I could never make myself read The Wheel of Time, what happened there?

Women just constantly talk about how men are useless but hate how they can't stop thinking about the ones they're interested in. They go on about it ad nauseam.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

BananaNutkins posted:

When you can break down a 10,000 word chapter into "Character X thinks about a thing that happened" you have a problem with pacing. This is literally what over 50% of each book turns into.

Yeah. I'm reading the series for the first time right now and I've honestly started paying less attention unless it seems like something important is happening or I'm getting close to the climax, because that's pretty much all that matters.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Lyon posted:

Some of the lines Rothfuss uses there are great, and almost worth reading the books just for that.

I did like how Rothfuss had a precision F-strike when Bast heard that Kvothe had talked to the Chtaeh. Considering the books had relatively tame language until then, it made the line actually have impact.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

coffeetable posted:

There's no way it can be resolved; the books of the series are entitled Days 1 & 2 of the Kingkiller Chronicles, and the loose ends of the frame story (the box/the war/the scrael) can hardly be resolved in the single Day 3.

So unless there's a sequel series planned where Kvothe goes out and rights his wrongs, it's got to end with him permanently disabled somehow. The only way I can see that happening is if he kicks it or returns to Felurian, and my god I hope it's the former.

The loose ends of the frame story don't necessarily have to get resolved in the space of the third book, and if he had to rush it, I'd honestly rather he just finish Kvothe's character arc. If he wants to continue the present-day story then he should write another series.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Yeah. And I'd really like that: This climactic confrontation finally happens, only to have Kvothe get the poo poo kicked out of him, and all his genius and precociousness can only get him away with his life and shame at failing his life-long mission.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

MarshallX posted:

Funny, this thread is becoming more and more like the GRRM threads! Replace Lemon Cakes with Alar that is like Ramson Steel.

NO. One Bad Thread is enough.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

No--expulsion was only one of the penalties for what he did, and the masters voted not to have him expelled at all. He wasn't expelled for any amount of time.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Dendra posted:

No, expulsion was compulsory and they opted to repeal it after enacting it.

Ah. Well, I haven't read the first book in a while so I dunno why I was so sure of myself, haha.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

If it makes you feel better, he gets suspended from the Archives for a few days for that like two pages later.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Why should I trust someone whose name is Liesmith? :colbert:

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Benson Cunningham posted:

The third silence is the people speaking up to defend Rothfuss for the Felurian part of this book.

Yeah. I liked the book a lot and that segment made me cringe (except for the Cthaeh, but that doesn't really count as a Felurian part).

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Pompous Rhombus posted:

This reminds me: wouldn't that be pretty much cut-and-dried malfeasance? Like, the kind that would get him burned at the stake (or whatever the equivalent punishment is), regardless of who he was attacking? He obviously got away with it, but wonder if it could come back to haunt him in the next book.

Absolutely. I figure his fellow mercenaries aren't gonna rat him out considering he saved their lives with it.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I think the fact that the original story has been split up over three volumes and expanded probably hurt the flow of the main plot a good deal. It's obvious he has a direction for it, but it's been really slow up to this point. Looking forward to seeing how he wraps everything up in the third book (and hell, I'll enjoy it to some degree anyway because of how good his prose is) as well as what he can do with an entirely different story after this series is done.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Sequitur posted:

however what will be next? Can I get any good recommendations?

Are you just looking for fantasy, or what? Have you read A Song of Ice and Fire? Because everyone and his mother will recommend that. (Seriously though, read it.)

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

He doesn't, although I have a feeling part of his deal with HBO was that he had to tell them how the series would end.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Dude, don't spoil the Abercrombie books for me, I haven't gotten to them yet. :(

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Above Our Own posted:

GRRM and Rothfuss in Comparison: An Exhaustive Study

Rothfuss does write fantastic prose. Although, to be fair, you included three paragraphs from Rothfuss and one sentence from GRRM.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Mistress Khary posted:

He's having an author chat for a few hours now on the Westeros boards:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/55628-qa-patrick-rothfuss-chat-thread/

In response to someone asking if the series will be longer than a trilogy:

Patrick Rothfuss posted:

Nope. Three books. A good story needs an ending.

I'm pretty glad about that, since it (hopefully) means that he'll be wrapping the loose ends and mysteries that have been on hold since the first book.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Above Our Own posted:

I am seriously doubting whether you, not recognizing Kvothe as an obvious Mary Sue, have read very many books.

Well I don't think you read his post because it was very coherent and he backed up his point well.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I wonder how much the Denna parts got expanded (read: drawn out) when Rothfuss split the story into three books. I'm sure he has a resolution for it, but at the end of the story, and therefore in the third book somewhere, so he had to stretch it out so that it happens along with the resolution for the rest of the story instead of nearer the beginning of the trilogy.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

oneof27 posted:

I read both books in about 2 weeks and it took me over a month and a half to read a Game of Thrones. It was unbearable. Rothfuss is goony, but readable.

I also read them really quickly, but I burn through Song of Ice and Fire because the plot and characters are so loving good, and I don't think the writing's bad. GRRM doesn't always have the easy readability that Rothfuss does, but his books are on another level than Rothfuss's.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I just watched the first couple seasons of Futurama, and whoever said that he started reading Kvothe's narration in Zapp Brannigan's voice is going to make my eventual reread even more fun.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

While correct, that's also an equally lovely way to write.

Well, except at least with Abercrombie (based on reading the First Law books, anyway), it pretty much always serves a purpose for character arcs and plot.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Yeah, to be honest, I got a little burned out by the end of the First Law books because of that. I enjoyed the books a lot, but reading all three of those back to back was loving depressing. Though I don't agree that that's a "useless" theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Aggro posted:

After Rothfuss, I read Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora, which totally owns. then I read Abercrombie's The First Law and his other two books, which own even more. After that, I picked up Sanderson's Mistborn, which is pretty cool despite a massive shift in tone after the first book.

I'm out of poo poo to read now. I tried to do The Malazan Book of the Fallen, but I can't get through it.

I agree with this post. I wouldn't recommend going through all of First Law at once, despite how good it is; it's a goddamn downer. Mistborn's great and is a good introduction to Sanderson (pop into the thread if you want a more detailed recommendation). I'd probably recommend Lies of Locke Lamora above them all, though, because it's a fantastic, well-written thrill ride with great characters and story and world and seriously it's 100% great why are you reading my lovely post read the book.

• Locked thread