Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Above Our Own posted:

Seconding Lies of Locke Lamora.

Thirding this. It's a loving blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Benson Cunningham posted:

Lies of Locke Lamora might be my favorite fantasy book. Red Seas isn't as good though.

That's what I've heard, but I still want to pick it up sometime.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

Is there a consensus as to whether or not the second book is only bad when compared to the first book or is it just really bad?

Why do you give a poo poo about the consensus? Just form your opinion and talk about it.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Exactly. The first thing he published wasn't the first thing he wrote and was more mature for it.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Yeah, those two things and the Cthaeh are the only [good] things I recall from the Felurian segment.

[edit]

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

That was not a link to a picture of Matt Bomer and is therefore extremely wrong.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

"All in good fun, Pat."

Still, definitely point to Sanderson.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Bantaras posted:

i really do think you guys would enjoy Scott Lynch.
just sayin

I haven't read Red Seas Under Red Skies yet, but Lies of Locke Lamora is a loving blast.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I think, like book two, he's going nuts with editing, to the point where he's almost rewriting the prose of the whole book.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Multiplesarcasm posted:

You're in luck, the third novel is set for release on October 8, after years of it being pushed back. The first chapter is available on Scott Lynch's website.

Oh nice. I had heard about the perpetual delays (due to Lynch's depression IIRC) so I wasn't in a hurry to read the second one even though I loving loved the first. I think I'll pick it up sometime this fall now!

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

pentyne posted:

I would love to see a series of interviews of major writers from all genres break down their work process and how things get done. The only one I ever saw was Johnathan Franzen who, when he wants to seriously write takes a laptop that's been scrubbed of anything but a word processing application, included minesweeper/solitaire, and takes it to a cabin and just works free of distractions for days, weeks, etc.

From what I know Lynch has been really forthcoming with his problems preventing him from writing and gets a lot of sympathy and respect for it, while GRRM just blogs about the NY Jets and everyone hates him for it.

I don't even hate GRRM for it - it's his decision how to write his series, however much I want to see the ending - but I just don't understand why he doesn't want to focus on it more. The development deal with HBO was baffling to me when he already has so much on his plate. Hell, he has a full plate just with ASoIaF plus all of the stuff he does for fun, so why does he want to add creating a TV show or two and writing prequel books to that?

Anyway, GRRM's slowness has been discussed to death. :) Is there any news about Doors of Stone? I haven't followed Rothfuss's blog for a while since it was clear the book was still a long way off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

Nope. I wouldn't expect the book until late next year at the absolute earliest, and realistically not until sometime in 2015.

Yeah. Honestly it hasn't even been on my radar because I figured that. I learned my lesson after waiting on tenterhooks for A Dance With Dragons, so I'm basically only following Brandon Sanderson's book updates because he's so prolific.

• Locked thread