Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

Neurosis posted:

If Patrick subverts the Mary Sue by showing Kvothe as an unreliable narrator with hints as to the inaccuracies, this will become awesome.

However, the first book does not bode well.

But imho, the author has already done that by having Bast saying that Diana (or whatever her name is) is not the most beautiful woman in the world, but more of a 'meh'... There was one or two other (short) parts in the story when the reader (or at least me) notices some subtle hints that Kvothe has changed the story a little bit or at least has coloured it in favor of himself...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010
I'm looking forward to the second book (haven't read any of the excerpts mentioned above). Imho, besides the upfront story about the wonderboy (which I admittedly like) and the easy-to-spot references to music-making there is a hidden plot about storytelling (..., lyrics, poems, lore) inside the first book.
    The numerous times mentioned traditional horror tales (e.g. about shamble-men (?)).
    The 'biblical' story about the demon hunter.
    The 'Silmarillion-like' story about the Amyr and the destruction of the last city.
    The little hints of the land of Fae and the fairy folk (E.g. Bast? I guess, the fairy folk is the same (closely related?) to the 'demons'. English literature was all about Fae, fairies and travels into the fairyland in the end of the 19th century.).
    The killing of a 'dragon' which is nothing as big lizard and the relation to a 'scientific book' ('The life-cycle of the ordinary draccuus' or similar).
    The killing of Kvothe's parents about a never fully sung song.
    Kvothe's obsession to get into the archives. The largest secret of the book lies inside the archives behind a locked door.

So, a lot of different types of tales stemming from seemingly different time periods are mentioned throughout the story...
But perhaps it's wishful thinking and the second book contains nothing of that anymore. I'll see. Soon.

P.S. Only guesses and not related to above: Denna is the love interest of one of the Chandrians (or she is one of them, wasn't one of them a woman?). Ash is probably one of the seven.

• Locked thread