Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader

SaviourX posted:

So I'm at about page 400 and all I can think of is 'how is there another ~300 pages of this'.

This is basically how I felt. The Name of the Wind really felt like it could easily be summarized into the prologue of another book, without missing anything of significance. The story just draaaaags on with so many petty conflicts and "woe is me I need money" situations. The whole chandrian (or whatever) storyline (which I gather is the main event) never went anywhere or felt like it actually mattered in any way. I think this may be the first book I have ever read where even an encounter with a dragon was tedious.

That said, I enjoyed reading the book. Just the more I think about it the worse I feel about it. I have no intention of reading the sequel unless I hear his style has vastly improved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader

mabbott74 posted:

Some people just seem that they go into books with the thought "ok, how can I bash this popular book to make myself seem like some iGenius."

You and I read a story and realize that is exactly what it is. Although it seems that a lot of people get character developement mixed up with character arc.

Or there's always the possibility we just didn't like the book.

• Locked thread