Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adunare
Feb 6, 2011

All whack with poo brain.

LGD posted:

He did mean Hero System, which is pretty good at what it does (and certainly capable of doing the job) but maybe not what would first come to my mind when selecting a system.

I was really hoping for FATE or something else FUDGE based, myself, but at least it's not D20? When he said Hero, I almost considered asking why not FATE but realized I didn't want to be That Person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adunare
Feb 6, 2011

Lyon posted:

I think the idea though is that the masters, Kvothe, and Riem are the only ones who will ever know his tuition.

The thing that bugs me about this is that it's just a deal between Riem and Kvothe. The masters just set the tuition, and trust that it's paid, without checking, I guess? Is it sad that this was the part of the book that bugged me the most? I mean... I work in accounting, so grain of salt here, but I find it hard to believe an institution like the University has no system for checking for blatant and obvious fraud. It's not even subtle fraud.

At first, I just thought maybe they were inflating tuition just on the Maer's end, and splitting whatever they took on top of the set tuition, but then what would be the point of intentionally flubbing admissions? Could just skim an additional 20 talent a month split.

Maybe that's why Kvothe gets kicked out: Ambrose hires the University an auditor. :rolleyes:

Adunare
Feb 6, 2011

blahz posted:

I don't understand how super genius Kvothe in all his smug glory decides to go with this plan, despite the whole setup sounding like he'd go with the screw the Maer plan. I'm going to laugh if this is how Ambrose gets Kvothe kicked out.

It seems like a small inconsequential part of the whole story, but the blatant idiocy of the plan just struck me as completely counter to everything we know about Kvothe.

I will laugh my rear end off if this is why Kvothe gets kicked out. No drama, no showmanship, no grand exit, just tuition fraud. I guess Rothfuss made a show of how Kvothe isn't that great at math, so the one who I'm really disappointed in here is Riem. Accountants should know better. :argh:

• Locked thread