Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Just re-reading the series, where I stumbled upon the bit with Meluan Lackless reminding Kvothe of someone, her hating Edema Ruh, and later in the book, Kvothe reads one of these letters stating that the elder Lackless sister was disowned for running off with a troupe.

Flipped through the first book, and I'm fairly certain that Kvothe's mother is the elder Lackless sister.

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Dienes posted:

Except you are forgetting the entire song about Netalia.

Not tally a lot less...

If that's not intentional, then I don't know.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I for one, love Pat's writing. I'm currently on my third re-read of the series in as many weeks.

Definitely gonna stop after this re-read, otherwise I'm gonna have the book stuck in my head forever.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I wish books had change logs. My digital copy of NotW just updated but I have no clue what changed. I thought that maybe they stuck a mention of The Slow Regard of Silent Things in the back, but nope.

code:
diff NotW.new NotW.old
Should be pretty trivial to do if you have an old version lying around. :v:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Benson Cunningham posted:

If he flipped his ratio of Denna and Chandrian, think how good these books would be.

The series would essentially be finished halfway through the first book. :v:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

WastedJoker posted:

Uh-huh and where do we think it ends up in present day? I got the feeling there was unfinished business.

Bee a while since I read this.

Still don't know why he's called a poet killer, or king killer.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

More time for a re-read then!

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

orange sky posted:

I find it really hard to tell if you're joking or not

Pretty sure he's trolling.

Hand signs - each country should have it's own sign language for the Deaf.
Rhythm - Most Scandinavian languages loosely have this, I guess.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I find it HILARIOUS that people still believe Rothfuss is going to stop at three books.

By the time Rothfuss has finished #3, he's going to be a century old.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Thoren posted:

Why do goons think Patrick Rothfuss is a bad writer?

I wouldn't necessarily say a bad writer, but his work ethic is sub-par.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Opal posted:

I hope the new book comes out soon!

It did. Someone posted it in it's entirety about six posts ago.

:v:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

jivjov posted:

Even worse than Shannara's Eastland, Westland, Southland, and Northland?

You forgot Centreland!

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Benson Cunningham posted:

If anyone does like 'child goes to magic school' books, check out Lev Grossman's The Magicians. The series gets pretty dark, but stays interesting and has a number of good payoffs. It's also set in modern times rather than a fantasy world, so in that sense its closer to Harry Potter than Name of the Wind.

Anyway check it out, I'm vouching for it.

That poo poo even has a TV adaption.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

CerealCrunch posted:

JivJov puts me in mind of a fellow called Bozeman Pete. Bozeman Pete was a homeless man who lived on the streets of Bozeman, Montana. He was well known in the area, partially because there were very few homeless folks in the city, but also because he had a peculiar gimmick of dressing like a leprechaun.

In a way, Bozeman Pete was beloved by many of the townsfolk. He was generally polite, and people saw him as a curiosity. But people turned on him quickly when he developed a routine of jerking off into his own hat in front of the drugstore downtown.

Not gonna lie, this fantastic example of writing was ten times better than the Auri book.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Patrick Rothfuss: A Bad Author in Three Two Parts

I believe this to be more accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

It was an aspect in three parts.

I'm sorry, but there's only two parts. The third is just Fallout 4.

• Locked thread