Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I can answer both those questions above I think:

Patrick Rothfuss is a huge weirdo and not a good writer at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Wittgen posted:

The aesthetics of the writing

What do you mean by this? I only read the first few chapters before I felt like killing myself, but to me his writing "craft" was the worst part of a lovely novel. Long, meandering sentences, said-bookisms out the rear end, adverb excess, trite and cliché descriptions, I could go on and on.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

esn2500 posted:

Good writing.

Holy gently caress please explain this

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
That doesn't answer my question at all. What do people like about his writing? What is "good" about it?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

the JJ posted:

So there's this thing called 'subjectivity'

Yes, thank you. I'm asking for opinions on why his writing is good. For example, I think Cormac McCarthy is a fantastic writer even if he refuses to use quotation marks like some pompous multi-award winning author. And I can tell you what I like I about his prose: sparse, bleak, to-the-point, can paint a picture with as few words as possible. He's excellent at establishing mood through a character's actions as well as words. Etc.

Earlier I said this about why I don't like Rothfuss' prose:

Martello posted:

I only read the first few chapters before I felt like killing myself, but to me his writing "craft" was the worst part of a lovely novel. Long, meandering sentences, said-bookisms out the rear end, adverb excess, trite and cliché descriptions, I could go on and on.

A few more reasons: he named his tribe of Mary Sues the Edema Ruh. Holy poo poo, he couldn't even run his dumb fantasy names he thought up on the toilet through Google once? And Kvothe. Say that name out loud, maybe two or three names. Then there's Bast. You don't just name a ~*fae prince*~ after an Egyptian cat goddess and then pretend you didn't. Yes, I know his full name is Bast's-rear end or whatever. He still named him Bast. In general, his fantasy names/words sound like poo poo he pulled out of his rear end without a second thought. He introduces the nickname "E'lir" and the concept of "alar" in the same chapter. The words are basically the same. I could go on, and probably more if I read through the book.

mallamp posted:

Have you read much fantasy? Most of it, even most of the popular ones, appear to be written by 15 year-olds so writers like Rothfuss or Pratchett shine easily even if they aren't actually well-written.

Yeah, this can be true, and is why I don't read much fantasy anymore. Unfortunately, because I love fantasy as a concept. But that doesn't make Rothfuss actually good by comparison.

Martello fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 17, 2015

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Aquarium Gravel posted:

I think he's really excellent at creating a picture of a world that is deeply and fully realized...

I think a lot of what you're talking about is probably his storytelling. Maybe this is just the way I break it down personally, but I see most books as products of four major things - storytelling, plot, characters, and prose. Rothfuss is good at storytelling, because even with my disgust for his prose, characters, and plot, I was still intrigued by the world in general and where he was going to go with it. But then I had to hack through plodding, stilted prose, dreadful and boring characters, and a meandering plot that went nowhere for pages.

You gotta get at least two of the four things right.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
It's really great that he used "skraeling" for a demon race too.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Edema

Adem

Adema

Edem

Seriously can this guy be any less inventive with his stupid Marysuetiful fantasy culture names?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Torrannor posted:

That's my take as well. It reminded me a lot of the Wheel of Time, with the badass Aiel fighters (but they don't sing unless it's the dirge for the dead), and the pacifist Traveling people (who are always searching for the mystical "Song"), having a shared origin.

By "reminded me of" you meant "is obviously ripped off from," right?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Haha holy gently caress what is wrong with this dude

Someone calls him out in the comments and he says, "hmmm nope I stand by it." Huge surprise.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
This Let's Read is spot on. The dude makes all the same observations and complaints I made when I read the first however many chapters before putting the book down forever.

Also, reading the LR led me to this gem on Rothfuss' blog.

Is his poor hapless son actually named "Oot" or is that some beautiful monkey cheese nickname that's also hopefully a D&D reference?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Ah, yeah, ok, that's legit I guess. But holy poo poo the man-scent thing :suicide:

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I'm 30 chapters into Ronan Wills' Let's Read of Wise Man's Fear and I'm convinced Rothfuss is trolling everyone.

He has to be

right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

orange sky posted:

Adem not knowing that man+woman=baby is ridiculous for example.

Plus Jean M. Auel did it already. And it was just as stupid in her books too.

• Locked thread