Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Guy Gavriel Kay breaks my heart - he chooses wonderful settings, can write memorable and believable characters (granted most of them are from history), and he always has some memorable insight into life, culture, history, whatever. His work has a deeply humanist bent to it, and he can explore mankind in its best, its worst, and in its most middling.

But he's lousy in the actual act of putting one word after another. And he's obsessed with underlining the significance of his own writing, about how impressive something is or how legendary something will be. This also leaves out any room for subtlety or ambiguity: if Kay wants you to feel or think something, he tells so very bluntly.

Out of the books I've read, I can recommend Sarantine Mosaic because i have a soft spot for the setting, and Last Light of the Sun, which was actually really decent. Tigana is a weird transitional work, the book blew my mind out when I was young, but now reads extremely clumsy.

I just read David Malouf's Ransom. I don't know about the author's other works, but he manages to do in 200 pages what Kay has struggled to do for decades. It seems like Kay's weakness is that he tries to be too realistic with his prose, whereas Malouf is poetic.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Avshalom posted:

Oh hello I didn't see you there. I'm Pendrick Rufus. A handsome modern man. I write a book. The sexy hero who can just gently caress gently caress gently caress for weeks at a time and all his partners squirt like a supersoaker, all his life he's just been a sinewy implication in the shadows of the bedchamber but now he's a white-hot reality who kindles a mighty inferno in the heart of her womanhood. He has a sword with a name. He's drop-dead gorgeous and he sings like a nightingale. The sexy hero is me. Sometimes I squeeze my lamb-shank appendage in a book until it turns blue. I keep all my beard shavings in case I ever need them. I tried twenty-six times to learn to pick locks but never succeeded. What I call a woman's secret passage, she calls her navel. I have never been loved. I've always been loved. I am a brain. I am love.

You are entering my brightplace.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
If you don't like the quality of the books or their criticism being discussed, there's plenty of nerd forums where you can sing paeans to a fascinatingly bad series.

Also, theorycrafting is the dumbest possible method of artistic analysis.

Like that whole blog post series seems to miss such important questions like "is any of this well written"? Does it actually have anything substantial to say about the writing or --

quote:

The prologue, “A Silence of Three Parts” is in an omniscient and distant “fantasy style” narration.

:barf:

e:

quote:

The innkeeper—still nameless—brings stew and bread. I can’t imagine why John Scalzi has a problem with this, but then stew is one of the staple foods of my culture. What Diana Wynne Jones complained about in The Tough Guide to Fantasyland wasn’t the existence of stew in fantasy but the way people eat it around the campfire, when in fact it takes hours to cook. But they’re in an inn, they’ve had hours, and goodness knows it’s a cheap and filling way of feeding people. Scalzi might think it’s a terrible cliche when I eat it as well. (Last summer when I was in Britain the weather was awful, and I ate stew twice, in an inn and in a castle—if you’re ever in Castell Coch, near Cardiff, order the stew. It may be a cliche, but it tastes great. You can have apple pie for dessert, unless that’s a cliche, too.)

This person can only communicate literary criticism in the form of cliches and tropes.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 15, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Uranium Phoenix posted:

gently caress, sorry, I forgot that having fun with books is not okay, and we can only look at them as Art and compare them to classics like A Tale of Two Cities so that we can maximally belittle them.

I actually have lots of fun with Kingkiller Chronicle. It's an almost inexhaustible source of fun for me. I could probably make whole essays about a single paragraph or even sentence Rothfuss has written.

If some snide dismissal of theorycrafting is enough to ruin your day, aren't you the one unable to have fun?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Coming soon:

Let's critically read the Kingkiller Chronicle

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
ESTRAGON: I can't go on like this.
VLADIMIR: That's what you think.
ESTRAGON: If we parted? That might be better for us.
VLADIMIR: We'll hang ourselves tomorrow. (Pause.) Unless Godot comes.
ESTRAGON: And if he comes?
VLADIMIR: We'll be saved.

- Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

LET’S READ THE KINGKILLER CHRONICLE CRITICALLY

Preface (aka A Shitpost of Three Farts)

This is a critical read-through of Patrick Rothfuss’s The Kingkiller Chronicle series of fantasy novels. It will critically examine The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear. This will not involve theorycrafting or whatever. We’re looking at what matters: the writing.

Attentive readers of this thread are aware that I loathe Rothfuss’s books and how they are written, and no doubt expect this reading to be biased and unfair.

My defense: I am also an attentive reader.

In this critical series, I hope to move beyond simplistic readings of The Kingkiller Chronicle. I will show, by discussing each chapter of the books, the principles and effects of their writing. Hopefully by the end we will have exorcised the ghost that haunts us all.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 14, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
LET's READ THE KINGKILLER CHRONICLE CRITICALLY

PART 1: “In fact there were none of these things...”

The saga of The Kingkiller Chronicle begins with a map. It’s of little interest, especially when the story starts dully enough after this promise of faraway lands and adventure.

The Name of the Wind posted:

It was night again. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.

This sets the stage rather aptly. Fantasy stories set in imaginary worlds must establish their setting and what makes it interesting. The motifs used to draw in the reader are natural forces ("night"), the hint of cycles (“again”), the setting (the Inn), and awkward stab at poetic form (“silence of three parts”). Consider the rhythm of these sentences, and how it relates to the principal objects of interest. Everything simply pops up: the night, the Waystone Inn, the silence, the three parts. The point-counterpoint repetition of the two clauses doesn't add anything. We begin with the cyclical image of day and night, which segues into this bizarre division.

The result is rough.

Compare to how the Gormenghast trilogy introduces its setting:

Titus Groan posted:

Gormenghast, that is, the main massing of the original stone, taken by itself would have displayed a certain ponderous architectural quality were it possible to have ignored the circumfusion of those mean dwellings that swarmed like an epidemic around its outer walls.

This is forceful, yet careful and precise. The faux-awkward halt of “that is” allows for a pause after "Gormenghast". It's followed by an almost antiquarian description that then veers back into grotesque (“those mean dwellings that swarmed like an epidemic...”). This interplay of grotesque and antiquarian sets the tone for the whole novel masterfully.

The principal idea of the motif of silence is that the object of interests in the scene (the outside, the two men, the innkeeper) are all separate and exude an overwhelming pressure on the scene. This ends up being self-defeating: the defining motif is supposed to be absence, yet the prose itself works to fill any possible void. “Silence in three parts” ties the paragraph up instead of leaving some emptiness. “Things that were lacking” is vague. Instead of the simple allure of the “the clamour and clatter of a drinking house” we get “the clatter and clamour one expects from a drinking house” with the awkward bridging words in the middle. Poetic word choices like “deep and wide as the autumn’s ending” are simply too broad, they end up filling the reader’s imagination instead of working it.

You can observe the rhythm of the writing by reading it aloud. Look at something like the awkward pairings of Anglo-Saxon and Latinate, like “serious discussion of troubling news”. This is tautological, and the two parts end up hampering each other (“They avoided serious discussion” or “They avoided troubling news”). The passage from Titus Groan is worlds apart. Notice how the more monosyllabic Anglo-Saxon gives way to the Latinate here: “Gormenghast... taken by itself would have displayed certain ponderous architectural quality”. This shows how important rhythm is to prose.

The Name of the Wind posted:

His eyes were dark and distant, and he moved with the subtle certainty that comes with knowing many things.

I suggest that the best way to describe Rothfuss's writing is “plodding”. His prose is stuffed with nonsense like “the subtle certainty that comes with knowing too many things”. Whenever there’s some poetic fancy, he overloads it with significance and oxymoron. Again, think about it: his character moves in a way that betrays his knowing many things. Of course, the reader probably quite can’t imagine what this means, so this vagueness stays to haunt them. This might be the principal reason why anyone would admire Rothfuss's writing:.

What sets the tone for this fantasy world is vague, pressing tension. For better and for worse.

quote:

It was the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 26, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
LET'S READ THE KINGKILLER CHRONICLE CRITICALLY

PART 2: “’Hush now, you’ll get all the answers before the end,’ Jake said. ‘Just let him tell it.’”.

So. Let's talk a bit about tone with Chapter 1: “A Place for Demons”.

quote:

It was felling night, and the usual crowd had gathered at the Waystone Inn. Five wasn’t much of a crowd, but five was as many as the Waystone ever saw these days, times being what they were.

It’s an abrupt change of scenery and tone from the prologue. The register switches from poetic and portentous to realistic and conversational. That a different scene may require a different register is understandable, but this is not so much a stylistic choice as it is two literary influences struggling for space. I'll have to elaborate on this at a later date..

The action starts with five men of the village in a storytelling session, with the mysterious innkeeper, Kote, listening in on them. We’re introduced to the menace of the Chandrian, legendary figures for whom no description can do justice. And the talk of demons is dramatically interrupted by another man of the village, who brings in the corpse of a monstrous creature that attacked him. Kote knows more than he lets on, and there’s tension over how to handle the creature.

The principal failure of this chapter (and how sad is it that I have to concentrate on principal failures) is the inability to maintain tone. The men bickering is too straight-laced to be comic or build up the nervousness of the scene. Carter’s dramatic entrance is deflated by dialogue, which incidentally illustrates Rothfuss’s uneven realism:

quote:

A moment of serious silence followed the news. The smith’s prentice laid a sympathetic hand on Carter’s shoulder. “drat. That’s hard. She was gentle as a lamb, too. Never tried to bite or kick when you brought her in for shoes. Best horse in town. drat. I’m…” He trailed off. “drat. I don’t know what to say.” He looked around helplessly.

Rothfuss does his best to undermine this segue into horror. The object of horror expired before it even entered the narrative properly, and the focus is on the rustics' nervousness. This is how the scene shifts:

quote:

Everyone startled, then relaxed when the black thing remained motionless. Cob and the others exchanged shaky smiles, like boys spooked by a ghost story. Their smiles went sour as the room filled with the sweet, acrid smell of rotting flowers and burning hair.

The innkeeper pressed the shim onto the table with a sharp click. “Well,” he said, brushing his hands against his apron. “I guess that settles that. What do we do now?”

Hours later, the innkeeper stood in the doorway of the Waystone and let his eyes relax to the darkness. Footprints of lamplight from the inn’s windows fell across the dirt road and the doors of the smithy across the way. It was not a large road, or well traveled. It didn’t seem to lead anywhere, as some roads do. The innkeeper drew a deep breath of autumn air and looked around restlessly, as if waiting for something to happen.

The tension is defused as Rothfuss describes vague restlessness rather than the aftermath of horror. I found The Last Unicorn through this thread, and this chapter reminds me of this scene in the beginning:

The Last Unicorn posted:

“Unicorns are long gone,” the second man said. “If, indeed, they ever were. This is a forest like any other.”

“Then why do the leaves never fall here, or the snow? I tell you, there is one unicorn left in the world—good luck to the lonely old thing, I say—and as long as it lives in this forest, there won’t be a hunter takes so much as a titmouse home at his saddle. Ride on, ride on, you’ll see. I know their ways, unicorns.”

“From books,” answered the other. “Only from books and tales and songs. Not in the reign of three kings has there been even a whisper of a unicorn seen in this country or any other. You know no more about unicorns than I do, for I’ve read the same books and heard the same stories, and I’ve never seen one either.”

The first hunter was silent for a time, and the second whistled sourly to himself. Then the first said, “My great-grandmother saw a unicorn once. She used to tell me about it when I was little.”

“Oh, indeed? And did she capture it with a golden bridle?”

“No. She didn’t have one. You don’t have to have a golden bridle to catch a unicorn; that part’s the fairy tale. You need only to be pure of heart.”

“Yes, yes.” The younger man chuckled. “Did she ride her unicorn, then? Bareback, under the trees, like a nymph in the early days of the world?”

That is consistent tone: fairy-tale dichotomy of naivety and cynicism. And we’re not quite done with this topic. We’re introduced to Bast, Kote’s odd student-partner in a baffling scene. These quotes are all from the same conversation:

quote:

“Today, master, I learned why great lovers have better eyesight than great scholars.”

“And why is that, Bast?” Kote asked, amusement touching the edges of his voice.

Bast closed the door and returned to sit in the second chair, turning it to face his teacher and the fire. He moved with a strange delicacy and grace, as if he were close to dancing. “Well Reshi, all the rich books are found inside where the light is bad. But lovely girls tend to be out in the sunshine and therefore much easier to study without risk of injuring one’s eyes.”

Kote nodded. “But an exceptionally clever student could take a book out-side, thus bettering himself without fear of lessening his much-loved faculty of sight.”

quote:

Bast opened his mouth, but Kote continued before he could say anything. “Yes, I made sure the pit was deep enough. Yes, I made sure there was rowan wood in the fire. Yes, I made sure it burned long and hot before they buried it. And yes, I made sure that no one kept a piece of it as a souvenir.” He scowled, his eyebrows drawing together. “I’m not an idiot, you know.”

Bast visibly relaxed, settling back into his chair. “I know you’re not, Reshi. But I wouldn’t trust half these people to piss leeward without help.” He looked thoughtful for a moment. “I can’t imagine why there was only one.”

quote:

“Begone demon!” Kote said, switching to a thickly accented Temic through half a mouthful of stew. “Tehus antausa eha!”

Bast burst into startled laughter and made an obscene gesture with one hand.

Kote swallowed and changed languages. “Aroi te denna-leyan!”

“Oh come now,” Bast reproached, his smile falling away. “That’s just insulting.”

“By earth and stone, I abjure you!” Kote dipped his fingers into the cup by his side and flicked droplets casually in Bast’s direction. “Glamour be banished!”

“With cider?” Bast managed to look amused and annoyed at the same time as he daubed a bead of liquid from the front of his shirt. “This better not stain.”

Kote took another bite of his dinner. “Go soak it. If the situation becomes desperate, I recommend you avail yourself of the numerous solvent formulae extant in Celum Tinture. Chapter thirteen, I believe.”

This again shows the inconsistence of tone. First we have playful irony, then confrontation, and then farcical irony. And notice the return to playful irony at the very end! And each of these tones is presented straight: there is no contrast between Bast's playfulness and the seriousness of the situation. Kote's comic outburst is off-putting. And this is after the scene of slight horror. This would be the perfect time for characters talking portentously about how the storm approaches or the days are growing dark. There is no driving motif here except for the mystery surrounding Kote. But this suffers from the conflicting tones already mentioned.

After this, we find more about Kote’s disquiet and the mysterious chest in his room. The scene then shifts again, and we’re treated to the village’s worries over farming and taxation to distract from further portents.

quote:

Still, each of them bought a piece of cold-wrought iron from the smith, heavy as they could swing, and none of them said what they were thinking. Instead they complained that the roads were bad and getting worse. They talked about merchants, and deserters, and levies, and not enough salt to last the winter. They reminisced that three years ago no one would have even thought of locking their doors at night, let alone barring them.

The conversation took a downward turn from there, and even though none of them said what they were thinking, the evening ended on a grim note. Most evenings did these days, times being what they were.

Catalogue of Rothfussian attributes

quote:

He pulled more beer for Jake, Shep, and Old Cob, moving with an air of bustling efficiency.

quote:

Old Cob tucked away his bowl of stew with the predatory efficiency of a lifetime bachelor.

quote:

He washed the tables and the bar, moving with a patient efficiency.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 21, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

PART 3: “The worst had happened, and it hadn’t been that bad.”

Chapter 2, “A Beautiful Day”, introduces Chronicler, the third major player in the framing story. He actually has a proper name, but the insistence on his title tells me that he was originally supposed to be more of an abstract, typified character found in fairy tales and the like. Kingkiller’s form is however too realistic to work with something like that for long, so I assume that it’s an artefact from earlier drafts.

In the chapter itself, Chronicler is introduced being robbed by courteously professional bandits. Chronicler is fully compliant, as he is an experienced man of the world. He continues on his journey with most of his money intact to further establish this. It’s no great failure, but the chapter is simply tepid, and the Chronicler is left thinly characterised. Since the scene starts in the middle of the robbery, there’s no real action to exploit, but there’s also no willingness to emphasize the absurdity of the situation as someone like, say, Jack Vance would do. It’s one of those uncomfortable middle grounds that seem to be becoming a rule as I read along. But again, this is not really bad, but tepid. What it does contribute is following on the motif of ignorance versus knowledge with the opposition of the soldier-bandits and Chronicler.

Chapter 3, “Wood and Word”, returns to Kote at Waystone Inn, with an extended scene of his wondrous sword being attached to an immaculate mounting frame. The sword is named “Folly,” and in principle this is characterisation yet the immediate takeaway is the sumptuousness of the objects involved. There is in fact little explanation why this was ever undertook in this scene, and the scene lurches anruptly to the next as the silence of Waystone Inn is shattered by the arrival of more guests. There’s a scene with children reciting ominous playground songs while a tinker is at work and Kote tends to the guests. We also see some inconsistency of viewpoint:

quote:

Kote guessed the travelers had been together a month or so, long enough to become comfortable with each other, but not long enough to be squabbling over small things. They smelled of road dust and horses. He breathed it in like perfume.

Kote was in the middle of it all, always moving, like a man tending a large, complex machine. Ready with a drink just as a person called for it, he talked and listened in the right amounts. He laughed at jokes, shook hands, smiled, and whisked coins off the bar as if he truly needed the money.

Here Kote both serves as the point of view, but after one paragraph is an object of interest to an omniscient observer.

One of the guests drunkenly recognises as a figure of no little renown:

quote:

"Kvothe the Bloodless.” The man pressed ahead with the dogged persistence of the inebriated. “You looked familiar, but I couldn’t finger it.” He smiled proudly and tapped a finger to his nose. “Then I heard you sing, and I knew it was you. I heard you in Imre once. Cried my eyes out afterward. I never heard anything like that before or since. Broke my heart.”

The young man’s sentences grew jumbled as he continued, but his face remained earnest. “I knew it couldn’t be you. But I thought it was. Even though. But who else has your hair?” He shook his head, trying unsuccessfully to clear it. “I saw the place in Imre where you killed him. By the fountain. The cobblestones are all shathered.” He frowned and concentrated on the word. “Shattered. They say no one can mend them.”

The sandy-haired man paused again. Squinting for focus, he seemed surprised by the innkeeper’s reaction.

The red-haired man was grinning. “Are you saying I look like Kvothe? The Kvothe? I’ve always thought so myself. I have an engraving of him in back. My assistant teases me for it. Would you tell him what you just told me?”

This is where the obscene hero-worship of the protagonist begins. Kote is not merely an innkeeper with secrets, he is Kvothe, hero of legend. The purpose of every subsequent chapter is to elaborate on what makes him exceptional. I’ve elaborated on this elsewhere, and I will do so again towards the end. For now, let’s say that his character is written hollow, and Kvothe has the young man drugged to cover for himself. He also prepares to act against the scaels, the spider-like monsters introduced in the first chapter.

quote:

Kote shrugged. “My granda always told me that fall’s the time to root up something you don’t want coming back to trouble you.” Kote mimicked the quaver of an old man’s voice. “‘Things are too full of life in the spring months. In the summer, they’re too strong and won’t let go. Autumn…’” He looked around at the changing leaves on the trees. “‘Autumn’s the time. In autumn everything is tired and ready to die.’”

Again, this seems like confusion of view-points. It’s not so much that it’s really on the nose, but it’s strange that we hear this narrated by Kvothe specifically. That would imply that we were not privy to the Kvothe's thoughts and feelings already. Umberto Eco’s Baudolino is a good comparison, where characters vocalize the ideas and themes around which the story revolves, because the narrative voice (whether Baudolino or in the framing story) cannot do it alone. In the quote Kvothe vocalizes an ominous one-liner, which granted, follows up on that old autumn motif. It also further characterises Kvothe as deceptive and ruthless, as his character is still a mystery.

Something fundamentally wrong with Rothfuss’s fantasy world is also becoming evident: there is simply little done to justify The Name of the Wind being a fantasy story. Fantasy is literature of the impossible, yet The Name of the Wind is so far utterly prosaic. The otherworldly has appeared, but is robbed of any imaginative or metaphorical force. Even the poetically charged prologue establishes nothing fantastical. The country types that haunt the novel are the most banal types instead of characters. The world exists elsewhere, and a chance at an establishing moment has been lost.

The counterpoint to this is that the prosaic framing story serves as a contrast to the fantastical elements, but this is undermined when the story proper begins. The question remains: what is the purpose of this fantastical world?

ROTHFUSSIAN ATTRIBUTES

[quote]
And while it was obviously a sword, it was not a familiar shape. At least no one in this town would have found it familiar. It looked as if an alchemist had distilled a dozen swords, and when the crucible had cooled this was lying in the bottom: a sword in its pure form. It was slender and graceful. It was deadly as a sharp stone beneath swift water.
[/quote

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 9, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The imagery is contradictory. The passage emphasises how unnatural the sword is, so why use imagery of nature? A sharp rock reveals something primitive and unnatural what we can see through clear water, which in turn is contradicted by the fact that it's swift water as opposed to clear. The movement of water does add to the sword being graceful.

But it's ultimately missing the worst line in the passage, the one with the alchemist.

I was going to write about more chapters, but I wanted to get something out of the way.

PART 4: “’God, I never know how much to tell you people.’”

In Chapter 4, “Halfway to Newarre,” Chronicler stumbles upon Kvothe on the road, where he is luring in the spider-like demons (scraels) from earlier. Chronicler is left unconscious in the ensuing fight, while Kvothe disposes of the scale. It highlights what I discussed earlier: there is little fantastical to this fantasy. It’s a scene of tension and horror to establish the dangers of the world, but the danger is particularly violent vermin. It’s here that the influence of Dungeons and Dragons shines through. While he writes about the impossible and the supernatural, Rothfuss’s prose is realistic and concerned with mostly objective description. The scrael are almost a random encounter.

quote:

They came into the light, moving low across the ground: black shapes, many-legged and large as cart wheels. One, quicker than the rest, rushed into the firelight without hesitating, moving with the disturbing, sinuous speed of a scuttling insect.

Before Chronicler could raise his piece of firewood, the thing skirted sideways around the bonfire and sprang at him, quick as a cricket. Chronicler threw up his hands just as the black thing struck his face and chest. Its cold, hard legs scrabbled for a hold and he felt bright stripes of pain across the backs of his arm. Staggering away, the scribe felt his heel snag on the rough ground, and he began to topple over backward, arms flailing wildly.

The great irony at work here is that a lot of the classic literature we would call “realistic” is more outlandish and imaginative than something like Kingkiller. D&D demands the fantastical to be considered in objective, quantifiable terms, which of course ends up undermines its enchantment. And you can go back and see the long historical development that led to this. D&D was made under the influence of authors like Tolkien, Howard, and Vance. Robert E. Howard is probably the most important of these, because he comes at the tail-end of broad movement. The 18th and 19th Centuries see the rise of the novel as a form. The romance, as Northrop Frye defines, is a form of fiction concerned with stylized figures and situations and the power of individuals. The novel, in contrast, is occupied with “real people” in particular social environments. Anyone who reads Robinson Crusoe expecting a stirring adventure will be shocked, because it’s a ruthlessly rational account of survival with no pretensions of romance.

The novel is more aligned with the spirit of the rising bourgeois society, so simple social development leads to its primacy- But romance never disappears and instead becomes enmeshed with the novel. You can’t find a “pure” example of either novel or romance in modern literature, as Frye says. Even the most imaginative fiction tends to give credence to psychological realism and characterisation. Even Tolkien, who champions the romance, uses hobbits as a kind of bourgeois window to the fantastical. Kingkiller is written in a very realistic, somewhat objective form, and references to Robinson Crusoe are going to become apt. It's part of the logical development of fantasy in relation to the development of the novel. This pairing of realistic form with fantastical content seems to be a tendency in post-Tolkien fantasy, with George R.R. Martin as one of its champions. Realism isn’t superior to fantasy, because it doesn’t necessarily make fiction more authentic. Rothfuss takes the wrong lesson in making fantasy more realistic, because the result inhibits its revolutionary potential and renders it rather staid. Howard is no less revolutionary for his racism or sexism, because he never diminishes the transgressive power of pulp in his Conan stories.

Joe Abercrombie of First Law fame seems to have learned this. His stories are "realistic" in the sense Spaghetti Westerns or Tarantino movies are, that is to say, not at all. But he finds something authentic in pulp violence and dripping cynicism that A Song of Ice and Fire eventually lost and which Kingkiller never had. And what we call "realistic" literature is rarely bound by objective limitations - consider Dickens or Dostoevsky, champions of literary realism, who never met a coincidence they didn't like. Zadie Smith's NW is a good contemporary counter-point: despite the bleakness of her setting, she's not bound by the limitations of "objective" prose. But fantasy authors, ironically, often end up limiting themselves because they need to quantify the strange and the supernatural.

Oh, and there's also some important continuing characterisation: Kvothe is confrontational and aggressive with the "ignorant" like Chronicler.

In Chapter 5, “Notes,” Kvothe brings an unconscious Chronicler to the Inn and is tended to by an angry Bast. We learn that Bast is indeed some sort of supernatural being himself, and that he has some sort of obsession with Kvothe. It's off-putting (putting aside the homoeroticism), but I actually like it because it rings authentic. It’s exactly in tone for fantasy, unlike writing such as this:

quote:

Bast stood in the doorway, practically dancing with irritation. When he spotted the approaching figure he rushed down the street, waving a piece of paper angrily. “A note? You sneak out and leave me a note?” He hissed angrily. “What am I, some dockside whore?”

It’s actually in line with his characterisation: Bast is a terrible person, but a comment as as ugly as this isn’t given proper weight.

quote:

Hours later, the door to Kote’s room cracked open and Bast peered inside. Hearing nothing but slow, measured breathing, the young man walked softly to stand beside the bed and bent over the sleeping man. Bast eyed the color of his cheeks, smelled his breath, and lightly touched his forehead, his wrist, and the hollow of his throat above his heart.

Then Bast drew a chair alongside the bed and sat, watching his master, listening to him breathe. After a moment he reached out and brushed the unruly red hair back from his face, like a mother would with a sleeping child. Then he began to sing softly, the tune lilting and strange, almost a lullaby:

“How odd to watch a mortal kindle
Then to dwindle day by day.
Knowing their bright souls are tinder
And the wind will have its way.
Would I could my own fire lend.
What does your flickering portend?”

Bast’s voice faded until at last he sat motionless, watching the rise and fall of his master’s silent breathing through the long hours of morning’s early dark.

The last two lines of the poem are separate sentences, which completely breaks the rhythm.

No Rothfussian attributes this time.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 21, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I associate swords with the dangers of kayaking.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
This is why a critical read-through is necessary.

Again, it's contradictory. First it looks like artificial in an otherworldly way, then it symbolizes the irresistible power of nature. And it's called "Folly," so it's also a symbol of vainglory. What is it then? There's no consistency.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

It has aspects of many things all at once.

A Mary Sueword. Kvothe in a microcosm.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It is not a good metaphor, but for a different reason, and this is observable through a critical reading. It's counterproductive to latch onto a single thing (what is silence in three parts, is Kvothe a Mary Sue, is this book double-ironic subversion of heroism) and debate it back and forth, because it distracts from the larger context. Careful reading will reveal all things. In this case, the sword ends up serving as a microcosm of the deeper failure of the book, where the confusion of signifiers conceals a lack of meaning.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Part 5: “’If I seem to wander, if I seem to stray, remember that true stories seldom take the straightest way.’”

In Chapter 6, “The Price of Remembering”, we begin the story proper. Chronicler has recovered, and reveals he knows Kvothe through a mutual acquaintance. Kvothe is intent on staying in hiding, while Chronicler wants to set down his story.

quote:

“You don’t get it, do you?” Kote shook his head, stuck between amusement and exasperation. “That’s the whole point. People don’t look for you when you’re dead. Old enemies don’t try to settle scores. People don’t come asking you for stories,” he said acidly.

Chronicler refused to back down. “Other people say you’re a myth.”

“I am a myth,” Kote said easily, making an extravagant gesture. “A very special kind of myth that creates itself. The best lies about me are the ones I told.”

While the myth of Kvothe is central to the narrative, it is never properly explained, and in fact acknowledged as lies and half-truths:

quote:

The stories are saying ‘assassin’ not ‘hero.’ Kvothe the Arcane and Kvothe Kingkiller are two very different men.”

Kote stopped polishing the bar and turned his back to the room. He nodded once without looking up.

“Some are even saying that there is a new Chandrian. A fresh terror in the night. His hair as red as the blood he spills.”

Stories and storytelling are recurring motifs. Stories are told, stories hold truth, stories lie, and so on. The story of The Kingkiller Chronicle is Kvothe recounting his life and adventures. What’s odd is the hero-worship of Kvothe: every effort is made to emphasise that Kvothe is exceptional, which is why he’s the subject of the story. I’ve explained what inescapable problem this presents to the narrative, and I’ll return to it later. For now, the narration establishes that Kvothe is exceptional, even when it contradicts his present characterisation. Kvothe embodies no ideal that sets him apart: he is merely an angry and bitter man in hiding. This is not used to create interesting contrast between the man and the legend, and the narration instead states Kvothe to be exceptional as he is now:

quote:

Kote turned. “What can any of them know about her?” he asked softly. Chronicler’s breath stopped when he saw Kote’s face. The placid innkeeper’s expression was like a shattered mask. Underneath, Kote’s expression was haunted, eyes half in this world, half elsewhere, remembering.

Chronicler found himself thinking of a story he had heard. One of the many. The story told of how Kvothe had gone looking for his heart’s desire. He had to trick a demon to get it. But once it rested in his hand, he was forced to fight an angel to keep it. I believe it, Chronicler found himself thinking. Before it was just a story, but now I can believe it. This is the face of a man who has killed an angel.

This is utterly ridiculous. It's also again is in that uncomfortable middle ground between realism and fantasy, the result of an inconsistent tone and style. Robert E. Howard can handle something as ludicrous by keeping an elevated tone throughout his stories:

The People of the Black Circle posted:

‘The king dares not trample a worm in the road? Little fool, do you not realize that your royal pride is no more than a straw blown on the wind? I, who have known the kisses of the queens of Hell! ...”

It is bombastic and ridiculous, but that is the appeal of the Conan stories.

The other way Rothfuss underlines Kvothe’s sheer exceptionalism is with constant references to his physical features, primarily his eyes and hair. Sometimes changes in expressions constitute dramatic action, even.

quote:

Chronicler’s serious expression returned. “Three days is quite unusual. But then again—” Some of the self-importance seemed to leak out of him. “Then again,” he made a gesture as if to show how useless words were. “You are Kvothe.”

The man who called himself Kote looked up from behind his bottles. A full-lipped smile played about his mouth. A spark was kindling behind his eyes. He seemed taller.

“Yes, I suppose I am,” Kvothe said, and his voice had iron in it.

By the end Kvothe reluctantly agrees to tell his story and tell “truth of things”, which will take three days. In Chapter 7, “Of Beginnings and the Names of Things,” the framing story is finally giving way to the main narrative. While preparing, Kvothe reveals his mental abilities by decoding Chronicle’s system of short-hand. While this again is supposed to characterise Kvothe as exceptional, it is too mechanical to register as impressive.

quote:

“Wonderfully efficient system,” Kvothe said appreciatively. “Very logical. Did you design it yourself?”

Chronicler took a long moment before he spoke, staring at the rows of characters on the page in front of Kvothe. Finally, disregarding Kvothe’s question, Chronicler asked, “Did you really learn Tema in a day?”

Kvothe gave a faint smile and looked down at the table. “That’s an old story. I’d almost forgotten. It took a day and a half, actually. A day and a half with no sleep. Why do you ask?”

Chronicler nodded solemnly, trying to imagine the mind that could break apart his cipher in a piece of an hour. A mind that could learn a language in a day.

Kvothe has a bombastic speech to start his story. It includes his list of names, which was soundly trashed on the very first page of this thread. I don’t feel the need to add more than what a goonsay does, except for one small observation: we are never told what the story of Kvothe is about. Obviously Kvothe is the subject, but what does Kvothe represent in the larger scheme of things? Heroism? Exceptionality? Multiplicity? It's a self-referential nightmare.

This would be the most obvious moment for the story to smuggle in its programmatic statement. There is no mention of a central theme, a matter of no small concern. The closest is the implication that Kvothe restlessly moves through different roles, but this is not a theme as much a motif, and not one used in the story.

Umberto Eco’s Baudolino, on the other hand, does not hesitate to justify itself and its themes The framing story is set during the sack of Constantinople in 1204, which provides the perfect thematic impetus for a search of meaning in chaos. Baudolino, the hero, has rescued statesman and historian Niketas Choniates, and desires to tell his story as the world has fallen apart.

Baudolino posted:

“You will tell me what you remember. I receive scraps of events, fragments of actions, and I extract a story from them, woven by a design of Providence. In saving my life you have given me what little future remains to me and I will repay you by giving you back the past you have lost…”

“But maybe my story has no meaning.”

“There are no stories without a meaning. And I am one of those men who can find it even where others fail to see it. Afterwards the story becomes the book of the living, like a blaring trumpet that raises from the tomb those who have been dust for centuries…Still it takes time, you have to consider the events, arrange them in order, find the connections, even the least visible ones.

Baudolino posted:

“Master Niketas, the problem of my life is that I’ve always confused what I saw with what I wanted to see.”

“That happens to many people.”

“Yes, but with me, whenever I said I saw this, or I found this letter that says thus and so (and maybe I’d written it myself), other people seemed to have been waiting for that very thing. You know, Master Niketas, when you say something you’ve imagined, and others then say that’s exactly how it is, you end up believing it yourself. So I wandered around Frascheta and I saw saints and unicorns in the forest, and when I came upon the emperor, without knowing who he was, I spoke to him in his language. I told him that Saint Baudolino had said he would conquer Terdona. I said that to please him, but it suited him for me to say it to everybody, and especially to the delegates from Terdona, so they would be convinced that even the saints were against them. That’s why he bought me from my father. It wasn’t so much for the few coins, but because it was one less mouth to feed. And so my life was changed.”

In both quotes we can discern the theme of the story: the nature of meaning. Now I don’t actually consider Baudolino to be the greatest novel ever written despite the impression I may have given, but I wholeheartedly recommend it. And here the novel is doubly important because it reads like a deliberate response to Kingkiller. The connections will be explored more as our read-along proceeds. For now we can take another look at the quotes again. Eco’s dialogue is decidedly unrealistic, but he uses it to his advantage: the characters can speak freely of themselves and their ideas. In Kingkiller, on the other hand, characters speak fast and rough, but still need to communicate their characters, ideas, and themes. Then we reach Kvothe’s monologue, which characterises him as self-obsessed and vainglorious.

quote:

I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

You may have heard of me.

ROTHFUSSIAN ATTRIBUTES

quote:

Inside the Waystone, the light fell across Chronicler’s face and touched a beginning there, a blank page waiting the first words of a story. The light flowed across the bar, scattered a thousand tiny rainbow beginnings from the colored bottles, and climbed the wall toward the sword, as if searching for one final beginning.

But when the light touched the sword there were no beginnings to be seen. In fact, the light the sword reflected was dull, burnished, and ages old. Looking at it, Chronicler remembered that though it was the beginning of a day, it was also late autumn and growing colder. The sword shone with the knowledge that dawn was a small beginning compared to the ending of a season: the ending of a year.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 5, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Oxxidation posted:

The participle phrases in this man's dialogue attributions are overlong and overwrought, and it discomfits me.

What about the adverbs?

Patrick Rothfuss posted:

“Imagine my relief,” Kote said sarcastically.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
DISCLAIMER

I don't actually hate D&D.

Part 6: "My father made a face. 'Not a very good play.' I shrugged. 'They won’t know the difference.'”

In chapter 8, “Thieves, Heretics, and Whores,” the story proper begins. Kvothe begins narrating with his childhood in a band of gypsy performers. And when I say “gypsies,” I mean no slur. They are romanticised outsiders by the way of Romani people. Here we can start discussing Kingkiller's bizarre positions on class and race:

quote:

Contrary to popular belief, not all traveling performers are of the Ruh. My troupe was not some poor batch of mummers, japing at crossroads for pennies, singing for our suppers. We were court performers, Lord Greyfallow’s Men. Our arrival in most towns was more of an event than the Midwinter Pageantry and Solinade Games rolled together.

quote:

Now you have to understand that twenty pennies might be a good bit of money for some little ragamuffin troupe living hand-to-mouth. But for us it was simply insulting. He should have offered us forty to play for the evening, free use of the public hall, a good meal, and beds at the inn. The last we would graciously decline, as their beds were no doubt lousy and those in our wagons were not.

quote:

That was the hardest part of growing up Edema Ruh. We are strangers everywhere. Many folk view us as vagabonds and beggars, while others deem us little more than thieves, heretics, and whores. It’s hard to be wrongfully accused, but it’s worse when the people looking down on you are clods who have never read a book or traveled more than twenty miles from the place they were born.

Several factors combine to create this baffling portrait of “gypsies”. First, there is the traditional romantic view of the “gypsy” lifestyle as free and full of wonders. Second, there is the removal of anything to mark “gypsies” as outsider or cultural Others besides their employment as itinerant performers. Thirdly, there’s the removal of anything to mark the “gypsies” as a marginalised class, because this band is styled after an Elizabethan/Jacobean acting troupe that looks down on parochial villagers.

Rothfuss’s failure in portraying a marginalised group is that he insists on making them modern and liberal, which means removing any conflict save for between liberalism and parochialism. Kvothe’s mother is, in fact, a former noble seduced by Kvothe’s father to join the “gypsy” lifestyle! Kvothe is also insistent on how his father and mother were not married because they felt themselves free to decide about their own lives. The gypsy band also includes occasional tag-alongs. This again confuses “gypsy” communities with traveling performers. In contrast, kinship and marriage ties are hugely important parts of real Romani cultures.

Kvothe’s troupe has arrived in a town whose mayor is trying to turn them away, but Kvothe’s father threatens him with the name of their lordly patron. They triumph over the bullying mayor and are allowed to stay in the town. But the town officials also try to turn away Abenthy, or Ben, a travelling wizard who in response scares them by controlling the wind:

quote:

“Shut your clepper, you old poo poo-fire,” the constable said. He snatched at the arcanist’s arm as if he were sticking his hand into an oven. Then, when nothing happened, he smiled and grew more confident. “Don’t think I won’t knock you a good one to keep you from working any more of your devilry.”

“Well done, Tom,” the mayor said, radiating relief. “Bring him along and we’ll send someone back for the wagon.”

The constable grinned and twisted the old man’s arm. The arcanist bent at the waist and gasped a short, painful breath.

From where I hid, I saw the arcanist’s face change from anxious, to pained, to angry all in a second. I saw his mouth move.

A furious gust of wind came out of nowhere, as if a storm had suddenly burst with no warning. The wind struck the old man’s wagon and it tipped onto two wheels before slamming back down onto four. The constable staggered and fell as if he had been struck by the hand of God. Even where I hid nearly thirty feet away the wind was so strong that I was forced to take a step forward, as if I’d been pushed roughly from behind.

“Begone!” the old man shouted angrily. “Trouble me no longer! I will set fire to your blood and fill you with a fear like ice and iron!” There was something familiar about his words, but I couldn’t put my finger on it.

Both the mayor and the constable turned tail and ran, their eyes white and wild as startled horses’.

This is again inconsistent tone, where dull realism (“poo poo-fire”?) and whimsy are forced to occupy the same passage. Contrast the simple brutality of the constable bullying the wizard and the wizard’s overblown threats. Kvothe observes this and joins the wizard. Kvothe’s and Ben’s meeting is the first example of :siren:actually good writing:siren: so far:

quote:

I brought my hand out of my pocket. “Can you sell me anything for a penny?”

He seemed stuck between amusement and curiosity. “What are you looking for?”

“I’d like some lacillium.” We had performed Farien the Fair a dozen times in the last month, and it had filled my young mind with intrigue and assassination.

“Are you expecting someone to poison you?” he said, somewhat taken aback.

“Not really. But it seems to me that if you wait around until you know you need an antidote, it’s probably too late to pick one up.”

“I suppose I could sell you a penny’s worth,” he said. “That would be about a dose for a person your size. But it’s dangerous stuff in its own right. It only cures certain poisons. You can hurt yourself if you take it at the wrong time.”

“Oh,” I said. “I didn’t know that.” In the play it was touted as an infallible cure-all.

Abenthy tapped his lips thoughtfully. “Can you answer me a question in the meantime?” I nodded. “Whose troupe is that?”

“In a way it’s mine,” I said. “But in another way, it’s my father’s because he runs the show and points which way the wagons go. But it’s Baron Greyfallow’s too, because he’s our patron. We’re Lord Greyfallow’s Men.”

The old man gave me an amused look. “I’ve heard of you. Good troupe. Good reputation.”

I nodded, not seeing any point in false modesty.

This is a good back and forth - dialogue. There’s a contrast of fanciful ideas and reality, an interesting character relationship, and the clarifications serve as comedy. “Filled my young mind with intrigue and assassinations” and “touted as an infallible cure-all” are all excellent phrases. If it was trimmed to flow better, it could have come out of Jack Vance’s pen:

Cugel’s Saga posted:

The clerk returned. He started to go to his ledger, then noticed Cugel. "Did you want something?"

"I also require a few words with Soldinck," said Cugel haughtily. "Your methods are incorrect. Since I entered the chamber first, you should have dealt first with my affairs."

The clerk blinked. "The idea, I must say, has an innocent simplicity in its favor. What is your business with Soldinck?"

"I want to arrange passage by the quickest and most comfortable means to Almery."

The clerk went to study a wall map. "I see no mention of such a place."

"Almery lies below the bottom edge of the map."

[...]

The clerk led the way to the end of a hall and pushed his head through a pair of hangings. "A certain 'Cugel' is here to see you."

There was a moment of strained silence, then Soldinck's voice came in response: "Well then, Diffin: what does he want?"

"Transport to a possibly imaginary land, as best I can make out."

Kvothe, intrigued, wants to study under Ben and invites him into their troupe. It’s only later that Kvothe understands that Abenthy was wielding “the name of the wind”. So the central motif of the book is thus mastery, the ability to control one’s environment, which is at odds with the story so far. The imagery of mastery and controlling the wind imply power, authority, and hubris, while Kvothe is primarily an outsider-figure. His character exemplifies anger and bitterness, but not towards himself. This is because the book doesn’t exploit the metaphorical power of this device properly: as we learn, controlling the primal forces of nature is a skill, like short-hand. It's treated with only the bare minimum of mysticism, even if the logic behind it is quite intriguing in principle. This, again, speaks of the influence of D&D, where magic is mechanical and quantifiable. This in turn was appropriated from the Dying Earth stories of Jack Vance (hence the term “Vancian casting”), where magic becoming a series of strict, quantified rote actions was used to show how decayed and impoverished the world was.

Rather fitting, I suppose.

In Chapter 9, “Riding in the Wagon with Ben,” we’re treated to an explanation of what makes a wizard such as Ben different. Ben was trained to become a wizard at the University, which qualifies him to dismiss petty conjurers and frauds:

quote:

He took a deep breath. “Just because someone knows a trick or two doesn’t mean they’re an arcanist. They might know how to set a bone or read Eld Vintic. Maybe they even know a little sympathy. But—”

“Sympathy?” I interrupted as politely as possible.

“You’d probably call it magic,” Abenthy said reluctantly. “It’s not, really.” He shrugged. “But even knowing sympathy doesn’t make you an arcanist. A true arcanist has worked his way through the Arcanum at the University.”

[...]

Ben continued. “The people you see riding with caravans—charmers who keep food from spoiling, dowsers, fortune-tellers, toad eaters—aren’t real arcanists any more than all traveling performers are Edema Ruh. They might know a little alchemy, a little sympathy, a little medicine.” He shook his head. “But they’re not arcanists.

One might assume at first that such class pretension from an itinerant salesman is meant to characterise him as a blowhard, but Ben’s pride is not satirical. Kingkiller also treats the notion of an academic degree in sorcery very seriously. The Harry Potter series always treated its magic school with satire and whimsy. The fabled Scholomance was a hidden and forbidding place. For medieval scholars it was a tradition of fraud. But for Kingkiller, academic magic is not satirical or fantastical at all. There’s also a brief discussion of how people may be born with mutant abilities that are magic. Ben begins teaching Kvothe, who starts on his road to becoming a polymath:

quote:

This was levels beyond the simple memorization I had practiced for the stage. My mind was learning to work in different ways, becoming stronger. It felt the same way your body feels after a day of splitting wood, or swimming, or sex. You feel exhausted, languorous, and almost Godlike. This feeling was similar, except it was my intellect that was weary and expanded, languid and latently powerful. I could feel my mind starting to awaken.

I seemed to gain momentum as I progressed, like when water starts to wash away a dam made of sand. I don’t know if you understand what a geometric progression is, but that is the best way to describe it. Through it all Ben continued to teach me mental exercises that I was half convinced he constructed out of sheer meanness.

Chapter 10, “Alar and Several Stones,” is brief and shows Kvothe learning a technique to hold two beliefs simultaneously, which is necessary for practicing magic. The problem is that this completely spurious exercise is part of a novel that tries to be realistic.

quote:

He also taught me a game called Seek the Stone. The point of the game was to have one part of your mind hide an imaginary stone in an imaginary room. Then you had another, separate part of your mind try to find it.

[...]

I remember one time I looked for the stone for almost an hour before I consented to ask the other half of me where I’d hidden it, only to find I hadn’t hidden the stone at all. I had merely been waiting to see how long I would look before giving up. Have you ever been annoyed and amused with yourself at the same time? It’s an interesting feeling, to say the very least.

Another time I asked for hints and ended up jeering at myself. It’s no wonder that many arcanists you meet are a little eccentric, if not downright cracked. As Ben had said, sympathy is not for the weak of mind.

ROTHFUSSIAN WISDOM

quote:

I learned the sordid inner workings of the royal court in Modeg from a…courtesan. As my father used to say: “Call a jack a jack. Call a spade a spade. But always call a whore a lady. Their lives are hard enough, and it never hurts to be polite.”

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 9, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BananaNutkins posted:

Is this Rothfuss's failure to use good attribution, or did you accidentally forget to hit enter before "I nodded"?

It's how it reads in the e-book edition I have.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BananaNutkins posted:

What are your feelings on it?

It's a stylistic choice, but again is indicative of a larger problem rather than the problem in itself. Rothfuss emphasises certain things to visualise a scene, which smells of writing classes.

I was busy this weekend, will update later.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Part 7: "I think making you sit and listen to the rest of my story should be punishment enough."

Chapter 11, “The Binding of Iron,” is where Ben start teaching magic to Kvothe. First their teacher-student relationship is explored with some fictional history:

quote:

I ignored him as best I could. “They controlled the only plentiful and easily accessible source of metal for a great distance and soon they were the most skilled workers of those metals as well. They exploited this advantage and gained a great deal of wealth and power.

“Until this point barter was the most common method of trade. Some larger cities coined their own currency, but outside those cities the money was only worth the weight of the metal. Bars of metal were better for bartering, but full bars of metal were inconvenient to carry.”

Ben gave me his best bored-student face. The effect was only slightly inhibited by the fact that he had burned his eyebrows off again about two days ago. “You’re not going to go into the merits of representational currency, are you?”

Two things to take away from this chapter: first, despite characters talking about representational currency as part of the fantasy world, this is not satirical or humorous.

Second, like mentioned in the discussion, Rothfuss visualizes characters too much. Every gesture, shift in expression, and physical movement is described whenever possible.

quote:

“Good enough,” Ben broke in, startling me. “So these two drabs,” he held a pair out for my inspection, “Could have come from the same bar, right?”

“Actually, they probably cast them individually….” I trailed off under a glare. “Sure.”

“So there’s something still connecting them, right?” He gave me the look again.

I didn’t really agree, but knew better than to interrupt. “Right.”

I suspect this is a straitjacket of English classes or fiction writing courses. Characters must act constantly, and speak and tend to speak in short lines unless outright lecturing. There’s little room for abstracted action or monologues. This would imply a story where every minute detail was relevant, but the main story of Kingkiller is about remembrance. The story should abstract and summarise more, and focus on the themes and ideas it presents in Kvothe’s development.

Mika Waltari does exactly so in The Egyptian. Like Kingkiller and Baudolino, The Egyptian uses the same device of the protagonist recounting their life. Notice how the descriptions always underline what’s most important about the character and the situation:

The Egyptian posted:

“There will never be war again,” declared the heir to the throne. Horemheb laughed.

“The lad’s daft! War there has always been and always will be, for the nations must test each other’s worth if they are to survive.”

“All peoples are his children—all languages—all complexions—the black land and the red.” The prince was gazing straight into the sun. “I shall raise temples to him in every land, and to the princes of those lands I shall send the symbol of life—for I have seen him! Of him was I born and to him I shall return.”

“He is mad,” said Horemheb to me, shaking his head in compassion. “I can see he needs a doctor.”

After this the nature of magic is explained: the first brand of magic is named after the principle of Sympathy, coined by George Frazer in The Golden Bough. To sum it up, wizards create a mental connection between to similar objects, and can then manipulate them by affecting one of the objects. The second brand is Naming, which involves controlling something by knowing it's "true name".

quote:

I was rather disappointed. At least as disappointed as I could be in the Heart of Stone. I lifted the coin in my hand, and the coin on the table lifted itself in a similar fashion. It was magic, there was no doubt about that. But I felt rather underwhelmed. I had been expecting…I don’t know what I’d been expecting. It wasn’t this.

The intention is here is to reveal a prosaic truth behind magic by making it a scientific discipline. In contrast, Naming is “true” magic in the sense that it’s a mysterious, liminal force. Yet it’s also an academic subject, and ends up being as prosaic as Sympathy for reasons that I described in the previous part.

There’s a clumsy segue into Kvothe singing a song that offends his mother, which shows that his childhood was sometimes rough even before his family was murdered by a band of supervillains. The reason it was inserted is that it’s very likely foreshadowing about Kvothe’s mother’s identity. What really sticks out is that Rothfuss uses the words “sexual innuendo” in this novel, which Is a stretch for even satire (which Kingkiller isn’t).

quote:

It seemed mostly nonsense rhyme. But when I ran it back through my head, I saw the rather obvious sexual innuendo.

Chapter 12, “Puzzle Pieces Fitting,” involves Kvothe’s parents more. I haven’t talked about them too much, mostly because they’re uninteresting aside from the stuff I’ve mentioned. He’s a dramatist, she’s a runaway noblewoman, they have a playful relationship, and they’re called Arliden and Laurian respectively. Arliden is gathering material about the Chandrian, legendary boogeymen whose true nature is shrouded in mystery (yet which I have inferred and will reveal later on). The Chandrian are a complete mystery, a group of seven demonic figures who perpetrate atrocities seemingly at random, and without “rhyme or reason”. Superstitions about them exist for a reason, and even Ben hesitates to mention their names.

Then the scene shifts to everyone talking about how intelligent, capable, and in every way exceptional Kvothe is. Ben wants for him to go the University to get a degree in wizardry.

quote:

“If he decides to become an arcanist, I bet he’ll have a royal appointment by the time he’s twenty-four. If he gets it into his head to be a merchant I don’t doubt he’ll own half the world by the time he dies.”

My father’s brows knitted together. Ben smiled and said, “Don’t worry about the last one. He’s too curious for a merchant.”

Ben paused as if considering his next words very carefully. “He’d be accepted into the University, you know. Not for years, of course. Seventeen is about as young as they go, but I have no doubts about…”

I missed the rest of what Ben said. The University! I had come to think of it in the same way most children think of the Fae court, a mythical place reserved for dreaming about. A school the size of a small town. Ten times ten thousand books. People who would know the answers to any question I could ever ask….

Chapter Thirteen, “Interlude—Flesh with Blood Beneath,” per its name returns to the present of the Waystone Inn. It also has three revelations. Chronicler meets Bast, who he reveals to be a Fae creature by using iron. Chronicler, in turn, is also revealed to be a wizard who can control iron. This is an incredibly prosaic way to introduce supernatural elements.

Kvothe gets angry with the two, and is revealed to be twenty-five years old or at least look twenty-five.

quote:

Kvothe’s voice grew quiet, “If you do not stop this foolishness, you may both leave now. One of you will be left with a slim sliver of story, and the other can search out a new teacher. If there is one thing I will not abide, it is the folly of a willful pride.”

Something about the low intensity of Kvothe’s voice broke the stare between them. And when they turned to look at him it seemed that someone very different was standing behind the bar. The jovial innkeeper was gone, and in his place stood someone dark and fierce.

He’s so young, Chronicler marveled. He can’t be more than twenty-five. Why didn’t I see it before? He could break me in his hands like a kindling stick. How did I ever mistake him for an innkeeper, even for a moment?

If this is true, any hope for authenticity in Kingkiller is lost, because Kvothe being a figure of legend and subject of a thousand stories recounted across the world is simply at odds with him also being twenty-something.

Here, for example, Kvothe is supposed to a menacing and authoritative because of his dark and violent past, but he is also twenty-five years old. And in general Kvothe the innkeeper is written as a bitter and world-weary old man. His youth simply does not fit his characterization.

There is repeated emphasis on how dangerous Kvothe seemed for a moment:

quote:

Kvothe poured something from the green bottle into the glasses. This simple gesture changed him. He seemed to fade back into himself, until there was little left of the dark-eyed man who’d stood behind the bar a moment ago.

[...]

Chronicler watched him covertly, finding it hard to believe that this man humming to himself and cutting sausage could be the same person who had stood behind the bar just minutes ago, dark-eyed and terrible.

The dramatic action in this scene is anything but. Chronicler remains a thin character, while Bast’s true nature is revealed in a wholly prosaic manner.

quote:

As Chronicler gathered his paper and quills, Kvothe studied the angle of the sun through the window, a pensive look on his face. Eventually he turned to Bast. “How much did you manage to overhear?”

“Most of it, Reshi,” Bast smiled. “I have good ears.”

“That’s good. We don’t have time to backtrack.” He drew a deep breath. “Let’s get back to it then. Brace yourselves, the story takes a turn now. Downward. Darker. Clouds on the horizon.”

JUST ROTHFUSS THINGS

Remember this part from Part 5?

quote:

Chronicler found himself thinking of a story he had heard. One of the many. The story told of how Kvothe had gone looking for his heart’s desire. He had to trick a demon to get it. But once it rested in his hand, he was forced to fight an angel to keep it. I believe it, Chronicler found himself thinking. Before it was just a story, but now I can believe it. This is the face of a man who has killed an angel.

For some reason Rothfuss slips it in again:

quote:

Then he saw Kvothe’s eyes. They had deepened to a green so dark they were nearly black. This is who I came to see, Chronicler thought to himself, this is the man who counseled kings and walked old roads with nothing but his wit to guide him. This is the man whose name has become both praise and curse at the University.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 2, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Oxxidation posted:

Does aggrandizing a character to this extent ever end well? I haven't seen a case this severe since the Drizzt Forgotten Realms books (I was eleven and I got them out of my dad's attic, don't judge).

I've cut out most of it, even when discussing it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Part 8: “There was an outcry and a great deal of complaining, but everyone knew they had been lucky to hear as much as they had.”

In chapter 14, “The Name of the Wind,” Kvothe is intent on discovering the “name of the Wind” from Ben. They debate on how to get a bird down out of the sky, and Kvothe ends up almost killing himself trying to mimic Ben. It’s not an effective scene because the scene emphasises Kvothe being reticient and pragmatic compared to Ben, and then moves into him making a mistake because he couldn’t really think it through. There’s not proper continuity here. The scene is also suffers from Rothfuss being unable to summarize, so you get a detailed scene of Kvothe almost choking to death.

quote:

I sensed he might be ready to finally tell me the secret he had been keeping all through the winter months. At the same time I was struck with an idea.

I drew in a deep breath and spoke the words to bind the air in my lungs to the air outside. I fixed the Alar firmly in my mind, put my thumb and forefinger in front of my pursed lips, and blew between them.

[...]

Terror screamed through my mind, drowning out any thought. I began to claw at my throat, ripping my shirt open. My heart thundered through the ringing in my ears. Pain stabbed through my straining chest as I gaped for air.

[...]

In hindsight, what I had done was glaringly stupid. When I bound my breath to the air outside, it made it impossible for me to breathe. My lungs weren’t strong enough to move that much air. I would have needed a chest like an iron bellows. I would have had as much luck trying to drink a river or lift a mountain.

This is followed by a domestic scene with Kvothe’s parents, and this again is thematic discontinuity. There’s no reason to Kvothe narrate it when he can simply summarise and detail it elsewhere. And consider the register Rothfuss uses for a scene of adult intimacy. it changes from exposition to irony and philosophy to slight comedy without ever properly bridging them. Arliden’s and Laurian’s dialogue seems like it’s from two different conversations:

quote:

“It’s an old name for loden-stones,” my mother explained. “They’re pieces of star-iron that draw all other iron toward themselves. I saw one years ago in a curiosity cabinet.” She looked up at my father who was still muttering to himself. “We saw the loden-stone in Peleresin, didn’t we?”

“Hmmm? What?” The question jogged him out of his reverie. “Yes. Peleresin.” He tugged at his lip again and frowned. “Remember this, son, if you forget everything else. A poet is a musician who can’t sing. Words have to find a man’s mind before they can touch his heart, and some men’s minds are woeful small targets. Music touches their hearts directly no matter how small or stubborn the mind of the man who listens.”

My mother made a slightly unladylike snort. “Elitist. You’re just getting old.” She gave a dramatic sigh. “Truly, all the more’s the tragedy; the second thing to go is a man’s memory.”

Ben is regretting teaching Kvothe so fast, even if he is an exceptional prodigy, and Kvothe has dialogue completely unfitting for a twelve-year old, prodigy or not.

quote:

Realization started to dawn on me, and I closed my eyes. “More, much more. I understand, Ben. Really I do. Power is okay, and stupidity is usually harmless. Power and stupidity together are dangerous.”

In Chapter 15, “Distractions and Farewell,” the troupe stops in a town where Ben is seduced by a widow woman who wants him to run her brewery. This is all recounted in a few short paragraphs. It’s also kvothe’s birthday, and the narration emphasises how bittersweet this is. There’s also emphasis on how happy and joyous everyone is, but it’s also very abbreviated, which again is inconsistent. Why is this so summarised when so many words were dedicated to exposition about magic “systems”? The other members of the troupe are at best sketches of characters. Despite all this magic and storytelling, the setting itself remains strikingly non-fantastical in both form and content.

quote:

I remember the evening as a wonderful blur of warm emotion, tinged in bitter. Fiddles, lutes, and drums, everyone played and danced and sang as they wished. I dare say we rivaled any faerie revel you can bring to mind.

I got presents. Trip gave me a belt knife with a leather grip, claiming that all boys should have something they can hurt themselves with. Shandi gave me a lovely cloak she had made, scattered with little pockets for a boy’s treasures. My parents gave me a lute, a beautiful thing of smooth dark wood. I had to play a song of course, and Ben sang with me. I slipped a little on the strings of the unfamiliar instrument, and Ben wandered off looking for notes once or twice, but it was nice.

Ben opened up a small keg of mead he had been saving for “just such an occasion.” I remember it tasting the way I felt, sweet and bitter and sullen.

quote:

I don’t remember starting out that morning, but I do remember trying to sleep and feeling quite alone except for a dull, bittersweet ache.

Kvothe’s father also presents part of the historical play he’s been researching in a dreadful bit of poetry:

quote:

“Sit and listen all, for I will sing
A story, wrought and forgotten in a time
Old and gone. A story of a man.
Proud Lanre, strong as the spring
Steel of the sword he had at ready hand.
Hear how he fought, fell, and rose again,
To fall again. Under shadow falling then.
Love felled him, love for native land,
And love of his wife Lyra, at whose calling
Some say he rose, through doors of death
To speak her name as his first reborn breath.”

When Kvothe wakes up in the morning, Ben has left a book as a present, with an encouragement for him to join the University. Kvothe is conflicted over leaving the troupe, which would be more pressing if this whole sequence had focused on fleshing out the troupe instead of exposition.

In Chapter 16, “Hope,” the troupe is slaughtered by the Chandrian.

quote:

It was my habit to wander away from the troupe in the evenings. I usually had some sort of errand to run while my parents set up for dinner. But it was just an excuse for us to get away from each other. Privacy is hard to come by on the road, and they needed it as much as I did. So if it took me an hour to gather an armload of firewood they didn’t mind. And if they hadn’t started dinner by the time I came back, well, that was only fair, wasn’t it?

I hope they spent those last few hours well. I hope they didn’t waste them on mindless tasks: kindling the evening fire and cutting vegetables for dinner. I hope they sang together, as they so often did. I hope they retired to our wagon and spent time in each other’s arms. I hope they lay near each other afterward and spoke softly of small things. I hope they were together, busy with loving each other, until the end came.

It is a small hope, and pointless really. They are just as dead either way.

Still, I hope.

[...]

I would pass over the whole of that evening, in fact. I would spare you the burden of any of it if one piece were not necessary to the story. It is vital. It is the hinge upon which the story pivots like an opening door. In some ways, this is where the story begins.

So let’s have done with it.

The Chandrian are otherworldly and demonic. The problem with the scene is that it focuses too much on their bickering instead of what Kvothe does or thinks. This of course could work as a device to show how Kvothe tries to downplay the terror of these memories, but the narrative is completely subsumed by high-fantasy nonsense. Avoidance becomes a moot point. Kvothe becomes an object of secondary interest in the story about his development.

quote:

He was two dozen feet from me, but I could see him perfectly in the fading light of sunset. I remember him as clearly as I remember my own mother, sometimes better. His face was narrow and sharp, with the perfect beauty of porcelain. His hair was shoulder length, framing his face in loose curls the color of frost. He was a creature of winter’s pale. Everything about him was cold and sharp and white.

Except his eyes. They were black like a goat’s but with no iris. His eyes were like his sword, and neither one reflected the light of the fire or the setting sun.

He relaxed when he saw me. He dropped the tip of his sword and smiled with perfect ivory teeth. It was the expression a nightmare wore. I felt a stab of feeling penetrate the confusion I clutched around me like a thick protective blanket. Something put both its hands deep into my chest and clutched. It may have been the first time in my life I was ever truly afraid.

quote:

“Is this your parents’ fire?” he asked with a terrible delight in his voice.

I nodded numbly.

His smile slowly faded. Expressionless, he looked deep into me. His voice was quiet, cold, and sharp. “Someone’s parents,” he said, “have been singing entirely the wrong sort of songs.”

“Cinder.” A cool voice came from the direction of the fire.

His black eyes narrowed in irritation. “What?” he hissed.

“You are approaching my displeasure. This one has done nothing. Send him to the soft and painless blanket of his sleep.” The cool voice caught slightly on the last word, as if it were difficult to say.

The leader of the Chandrian, Haliax, disciplines Cinder for toying with Kvothe.

quote:

“I am a tool in your hand, Lord Haliax,” Cinder amended as he crumpled, trembling, to his knees.

“Who knows the inner turnings of your name, Cinder?” The words were spoken with a slow patience, like a schoolmaster reciting a forgotten lesson.

Cinder wrapped shaking arms around his midsection and hunched over, closing his eyes. “You, Lord Haliax.”

“Who keeps you safe from the Amyr? The singers? The Sithe? From all that would harm you in the world?” Haliax asked with calm politeness, as if genuinely curious as to what the answer might be.

“You, Lord Haliax.” Cinder’s voice was a quiet shred of pain.

“And whose purpose do you serve?”

“Your purpose, Lord Haliax.” The words were choked out. “Yours. None other.” The tension left the air and Cinder’s body suddenly went slack. He fell forward onto his hands and beads of sweat fell from his face to patter on the ground like rain. His white hair hung limp around his face. “Thank you, lord,” he gasped out earnestly. “I will not forget again.”

Haliax senses something and the Chandrian run off with no time to dispose of Kvothe. After the tense build-up, the Chandrian are decidedly disappointing. They act according to a vague but menacing agenda, and speak like comic book supervillains. Thematically, they seem to represent oblivion that threatens stories, so there’s a meta-aspect to their vagueness. This is squandered because the book is occupied with trivialities like the complexities of its magic “system”. Despite quite explicitly being the hinge of the story, the conflict and themes it presents are not given even a cursory treatment. The Chandrian are ultimate evil, but what is that evil? Even if it is a mystery, there is still no proper establishment of theme and conflict. They're a complete outside element to the story, and not in a constructive manner.

Chapter 17, “Interlude—Autumn” has Bast and Chronicler reconcile while Kvothe is absent, and reveals that telling the story is breaking Kvothe’s uncaring facade

quote:

As he continued to load the barrow, he moved slower and slower, like a machine winding down. Eventually he stopped completely and stood for a long minute, still as stone. Only then did his composure break. And even with no one there to see, he hid his face in his hands and wept quietly, his body wracked with wave on wave of heavy, silent sobs.

JUST ROTHFUSS THINGS

quote:

All the flames were tinged with blue, making the scene dreamlike and surreal.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 31, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Oxxidation posted:

I'm just going off the excerpts, but it seems to be this weird half-and-half situation where he wants magic to have the typical wizardy mystique but also a firm empirical basis and winds up with neither. My only thorough experiences with the fantasy genre were Discworld, where the question of "what is magic" is usually met with a glare and an answer like "something you don't muck about with if you know what's good for you," and the Bas-Lag series, where it's approached with an earthy blue-collar attitude that emphasizes the weirdness of the setting instead of making it more prosaic ("oh yeah those are just the little fat water goblins making a liquid into a solid, it's a thing they do, handy for dockworkers, best not get too close").

it is partly intentional:

quote:

It would be wrong to say that I was disappointed with sympathy. But honestly, I was disappointed. It was not what I expected magic to be.

It was useful. There was no denying that. Ben used sympathy to make light for our shows. Sympathy could start a fire without flint or lift a heavy weight without cumbersome ropes and pulleys.

But the first time I’d seen him, Ben had somehow called the wind. That was no mere sympathy. That was storybook magic. That was the secret I wanted more than anything.

But I've already mentioned that the actual storybook magic is also without mystique.

e: Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell is the only successful instance of this that I can recall.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 23, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I meant it in the sense that there's a system of magic which tries to explain it in a technical, scholarly manner, while still retaining a sense of mystique. Tolkien and Gaiman don't really do that.

Interlude - The True Nature of the Chandrian

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 24, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ohvee posted:

What are the chances of having this chronicled (:v:) outside the forums on a blog or something like that? I'd like to share this takedown.

Rather small, I prefer to contain my shitposting in one place.

Part 9: “The next span was an ordeal.”

Chapter 18, “Roads to Safe Places,” begins with Kvothe reciting fictional pseudo-psychology about the “four doors” that allow humans to cope with pain. It’s not particularly insightful or poetic.

quote:

First is the door of sleep. Sleep offers us a retreat from the world and all its pain. Sleep marks passing time, giving us distance from the things that have hurt us. When a person is wounded they will often fall unconscious. Similarly, someone who hears traumatic news will often swoon or faint. This is the mind’s way of protecting itself from pain by stepping through the first door.

Second is the door of forgetting. Some wounds are too deep to heal, or too deep to heal quickly. In addition, many memories are simply painful, and there is no healing to be done. The saying “time heals all wounds” is false. Time heals most wounds. The rest are hidden behind this door.

I gather that it’s a poetic metaphor, but there’s no charm in it. Just look at sentences like “when a person is wounded they will often fall unconscious”. This is just dull. The third and fourth doors are madness and death, and just as dull. As a device to illustrate Kvothe’s detachment it deflates rather than distances. It would have been better if it hadn’t been explained and the allusions afterwards could have been kept.

We return to young Kvothe, wandering in the wilderness. He falls asleep and has a dream about the things he was taught in his troupe, but it’s rather too profound. The troupe’s death was so overshadowed by the Chandrian that it reads like an attempt to balance it out. It’s not terrible, but I think it should have been moved forward to emphasise the troupe’s absence.

After this, there’s an almost good scene where Kvothe forages and prepares shelter. The prose illustrates his shock and despair well: it reflects how mechanical and spiritless he is in is actions, but the prose relies on sentences that are too short and frequent to flow well, and too long and frequent to be laconic.

quote:

Rather than refreshing me, all my drink did was make me aware of how hungry I was. I sat on the stone by the edge of the pool. I stripped the leaves from the stalks of motherleaf and ate one. It was rough, papery, and bitter. I ate the rest, but it didn’t help. I took another drink of water, then lay down to sleep, not caring that the stone was cold and hard, or at least pretending not to care.

[...]

I took another drink of water and sat on the stone. I felt a little light-headed and wondered if it was from hunger.

After a moment my head cleared and I chided myself for my foolishness. I found some shelf fungus growing on a dead tree and ate it after washing it in the pool. It was gritty and tasted like dirt. I ate all I could find.

I set a new snare, one that would kill. Then, smelling rain in the air, I returned to the greystone to make a shelter for my lute.

Chapter 19, “Fingers and Strings,” underlines this by talking about how he acted like an automaton. Kvothe spends his days in the wilderness playing his father’s lute. It’s good imagery, but gets overwrought towards the end.

quote:

Somewhere in the third month I stopped looking outside and started looking inside for things to play. I learned to play Riding in the Wagon with Ben, Singing with Father by the Fire, Watching Shandi Dance, Grinding Leaves When it Is Nice Outside, Mother Smiling….

Needless to say, playing these things hurt, but it was a hurt like tender fingers on lute strings. I bled a bit and hoped that I would callous soon.

The strings of the lute break one by one, and Kvothe decides to set off, avoiding villages and towns for fear of people. On a road a wagon ridden by an old man and his son, comes up upon him. Kvothe joins them, and eats bread for the first time in six months.

You didn’t misread that. Everything I summarised just now, two short chapters, described six months of time.

In Chapter 21, “Bloody Hands into Stinging Fists,” we return to that old problem that this story is decidedly not fantastical. This is how Rothfuss describes an entry into a great city:

quote:

IT WAS AROUND NOON when the wagon turned onto a new road, this one wide as a river and paved with cobbles. At first there were only a handful of travelers and a wagon or two, but to me it seemed like a great crowd after such a long time alone.

We went deeper into the city, and low buildings gave way to taller shops and inns. Trees and gardens were replaced by alleys and cart vendors. The great river of a road grew clogged and choked with the flotsam of a hundred carts and pedestrians, dozens of wains and wagons and the occasional mounted man.

There was the sound of horses’ hooves and people shouting, the smell of beer and sweat and garbage and tar. I wondered which city this was, and if I’d been here before, before—

Again, as a device to illustrate Kvothe’s detachment it’s lacking, because it’s not even a sketch of a scene. It’s not used to illustrate Kvothe’s state of mind at all. Actual description will follow, but it’s established in a vacuum:

quote:

Tarbean is big enough that you cannot walk from one end to the other in a single day. Not even if you avoid getting lost or accosted in the tangled web of twisting streets and dead end alleys.

It was too big, actually. It was vast, immense. Seas of people, forests of buildings, roads wide as rivers. It smelled like urine and sweat and coal smoke and tar. If I had been in my right mind, I never would have gone there.

A more skilled author would have begun with the menace, fear, and alienation a city presents to a solitary child. First impressions are everything. The whole setting remains a confusion. That this is not an artistic device can be gleaned when we skip further and observe how Rothfuss describes another settlement:

quote:

The University lay at the heart of a small city. Though truthfully, I hesitate to call it a city at all. It was nothing like Tarbean with its twisting alleys and garbage smell. It was more of a town, with wide roads and clean air. Lawns and gardens were spaced between small houses and shops.

But since this town had grown up to serve the peculiar needs of the University, a careful observer could note small differences in the services the town provided. For instance, there were two glassblowers, three fully stocked apothecaries, two binderies, four booksellers, two brothels, and a truly disproportionate number of taverns. One of them had a large wooden sign nailed to its door proclaiming, NO SYMPATHY! I wondered what non-arcane visitors might think of the warning.

Simply, Rothfuss doesn’t describe a city, but what’s in it. Like the rest of the setting, it seems more like a bare stage for the story, instead of a way to further the story. Compare to Dickens sets the scene in something as prosaic as Barnet:

Oliver Twist posted:

Early on the seventh morning after he had left his native place, Oliver limped slowly into the little town of Barnet. The window-shutters were closed; the street was empty; not a soul had awakened to the business of the day. The sun was rising in all its splendid beauty; but the light only served to show the boy his own lonesomeness and desolation, as he sat, with bleeding feet and covered with dust, upon a door-step.

By degrees, the shutters were opened; the window-blinds were drawn up; and people began passing to and fro. Some few stopped to gaze at Oliver for a moment or two, or turned round to stare at him as they hurried by; but none relieved him, or troubled themselves to inquire how he came there. He had no heart to beg. And there he sat.

Not in his right mind, Kvothe departs hastily from the men who helped him, and wanders aimlessly through the city of Tarbean. He’s ambushed by street children, and this is where the prose drifts back into brutish realism:

quote:

“I’m looking for the Woodworks,” I muttered, slightly stunned.

Pike’s expression turned murderous. His hands grabbed my shoulders. “Did I ask you a question?” he shouted. “Did I say you could talk?” He slammed his forehead into my face and I felt a sharp crack followed by an explosion of pain.

“Hey, Pike.” The voice seemed to come from an impossible direction. A foot nudged my lute case, tipping it over. “Hey Pike, look at this.”

Pike looked down at the hollow thump as the lute case fell flat against the ground. “What did you steal, Nalt?”

“I didn’t steal it.”

One of the boys holding my arms laughed. “Yeah, your uncle gave it to you so you could sell it to buy medicine for your sick grandma.” He laughed again while I tried to blink the tears out of my eyes.

While not bad in principle, the problem with Rothfuss’s portrayal of poverty is that there’s not much nuance or insight in it.

There’s a fight, which is enjoyably visceral if needlessly extended for a street scuffle between children, and Kvothe’s lute ends up broken. Rothfuss also retcons the previous two chapters:

quote:

After my troupe was murdered, there were times when I would dream of my parents, alive and singing. In my dream their deaths had been a mistake, a misunderstanding, a new play they had been rehearsing. And for a few moments I had relief from the great blanketing grief that was constantly crushing me. I hugged them and we laughed at my foolish worry. I sang with them, and for a moment everything was wonderful. Wonderful.

But I always woke up, alone in the dark by the forest pool. What was I doing out here? Where were my parents?

Then I would remember everything, like a wound ripping open. They were dead and I was terribly alone. And that great weight that had been lifted for just a moment would come crushing down again, worse than before because I wasn’t ready for it. Then I would lay on my back, staring into the dark with my chest aching and my breath coming hard, knowing deep inside that nothing would ever be right, ever again.

When Pike threw me to the ground, my body was almost too numb to feel my father’s lute being crushed underneath me. The sound it made was like a dying dream, and it brought that same sick, breathless ache back to my chest.

This didn't occur at all during the previous two chapters, even when there was all the time in the world to describe it. This is not a reminder, as these events are mere pages behind.

There is no special vocabulary of criticisms for such instances of bad writing. It’s just bad.

A member of the City Guard intervenes, and rifles through Kvothe’s pockets while he’s unconscious. Kvothe tries returning to the wagon, but it’s left since. The pathos is pretty effective, but it’s beset by the same problems of tone and setting I’ve mentioned repeatedly throughout these entries.

quote:

I thought of leaving, but it would take me hours of walking in my current condition. Besides, there was nothing waiting for me on the outskirts of the city except miles upon miles of harvested farmland. No trees to keep the wind away. No wood to make a fire. No rabbits to set traps for. No roots to dig. No heather for a bed.

I was so hungry my stomach was a hard knot. Here at least I could smell chicken cooking somewhere. I would have gone looking for the smell, but I was dizzy, and my ribs hurt. Maybe tomorrow someone would give me something to eat. Right now I was too tired. I wanted nothing more than to sleep.

The cobblestones were losing the last of the sun’s heat and the wind was picking up. I moved back into the doorway of the bookshop to get out of the wind. I was almost asleep when the owner of the shop opened the door and kicked at me, telling me to shove off or he’d call the guard. I limped away as quickly as I could.

After that I found some empty crates in an alley. I curled up behind them, bruised and weary. I closed my eyes and tried not to remember what it was like to go to sleep warm and full, surrounded by people who loved you.

That was the first night of nearly three years I spent in Tarbean.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 26, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Oxxidation posted:

Is this some colloquialism known only in your heathen herring-stained native tongue, because even Google doesn't know what to make of it.

I'm terrible at proofreading anything I write myself.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Thoren posted:

BravestOfTheLamps will you give your thoughts on the interlude chapters as well? Very curious to read them.

I've only examined one of them in detail. I chalk them up as another instance of narrative confusion, because they're not used to mimic oral story-telling. They're almost cinematic, with clear "scene breaks," like in the the film version of Princess Bride. But that movie uses narration to unify the story. With Kingkiller you have to parallel stories that interrupt each other.

This is an example of how an "interlude" is handled in Baudolino. It's in the form of two paragraphs at the end of a chapter:

quote:

“And so,” Niketas said, “this was your first journey to Byzantium. I wouldn’t be surprised, after what you saw, if you considered what’s happening now a purification.”

“You see, Master Niketas,” Baudolino said, “purification, as you call it, has never appealed to me. Alessandria may be a miserable town, but where I come from, when someone in command arouses our dislike, we say good-bye to him and choose a new consul. And even Frederick, choleric as he may have been, when his cousins bothered him, he didn’t castrate them, he gave them another duchy. But this isn’t the story. I was aleady at the extreme confines of Christendom, I could have continued towards the east, or to the south, and I would have found the Indias. But by then we had spent all our money, and to be able to go to the Orient, I had to return to the Occident. By then I was forty-three. I have been on the trail of Prester John since I was sixteen, or even younger, and once again I was forced to postpone my journey.”

You can also see the movie Amadeus for how this is handled cinematically. The Egyptian never interrupts its first person narrative, because Sinuhe can comment on his past as the narrator.

What's common with Baudolino, The Egyptian, and Amadeus is unity of narration. When the Princess Bride movie interrupts its story, it's a clear separation. Kingkiller has the same principle, with two parallel narratives that influence each other. But it loses the benefits of unity in narrative, and since the frame story is and will remain incomplete, there is no clear benefit to it existing.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 29, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Part 10: “Oh, the pieces of the pageantry were all the same.”

The memorious among you may recall that Kvothe is a “gypsy”. And you may have noticed that I have not mentioned any instances of Kvothe trying to seek out his people for shelter and protection.

I do not recall Kvothe ever trying to seek out his own people, even if it is an obvious course for the character and the story to take. Granted, I haven’t re-read very far ahead, so my own memory might have failed me.

The obvious question is why this course hasn’t been taken. The equally obvious answer is that the story is supposed to continue with Kvothe as a street urchin. But there is not even a token effort to stop Kvothe from joining other gypsies. The possibility is completely ignored as far as I recall.

The ultimate conclusion is that Rothfuss is completely ignorant when it comes to race and class, even of the idea that somebody might seek out their own kin-group when left alone in the world. I've already observed how Rothfuss does his best to confuse the concept of a "gypsy" and to portray itinerant performers as educated liberal cosmopolitans. It seems that Rothfuss is afraid to portray Kvothe in any way as a foreign figure to a modern Western audience. It's a pivot in Kingkiller's strange politics.

In Chapter 21, “Basement, Bread and Bucket” Kvothe is trying to survive by begging, and the prose takes a detour into Lankhmarian:

quote:

It was just after lunchtime. Rather, it would have been after lunchtime if I’d had anything to eat. I was begging in Merchant’s Circle and so far the day had profited me two kicks (one guard, one mercenary), three shoves (two wagoneers, one sailor), one new curse concerning an unlikely anatomical configuration (also from the sailor), and a spray of spittle from a rather unendearing elderly man of indeterminate occupation.

And one iron shim. Though I attributed it more to the laws of probability than from any human kindness. Even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while.

I had been living in Tarbean for nearly a month, and the day before I had tried my hand at stealing for the first time. It was an inauspicious beginning. I’d been caught with my hand in a butcher’s pocket. This had earned me such a tremendous blow to the side of the head that today I was dizzy when I tried to stand or move about quickly. Hardly encouraged by my first foray into thievery, I had decided that today was a begging day. As such, it was about average.

The shift into high register is obviously for comedic effect, but again, it’s a case of inconsistence in tone. I’ve mentioned how Rothfuss seems to struggle between literary influences. I’ll tentatively identify them as “high” and “low”. Note that this isn’t a judgement on any works that influence Rothfuss, just a way to describe their literary styles. “High” literary influences are works like The Last Unicorn and classic fantasy which employs elevated or poetic registers, and more abstracted form. The prologue, for instance, is Rothfuss using a poetic register and more abstract as opposed to realistic form. “Low” literary influence is the province of modern literature and fantasy, which employs more realistic form and visceral registers. Scenes like Kvothe’s fight with other street children are one example.

Kingkiller vacillates between these two influences, but not for any artistic purpose. It’s no death sentence on a novel, but it simply leaves an impression that Rothfuss is never quite sure what he is writing. Three Men in a Boat features a similar problem where Jerome’s comedy is jarring next to his sentimental passages. On the other hand many writers successfully switch between high and low registers. I recommended Hillary Mantell’s Wolf Hall earlier:

Wolf Hall posted:

Inch by inch. Inch by inch forward. Never mind if he calls you an eel or a worm or a snake. Head down, don't provoke him. His nose is clotted with blood and he has to open his mouth to breathe. His father's momentary distraction at the loss of his good boot allows him the leisure to vomit. ‘That's right,’ Walter yells. ‘Spew everywhere.’ Spew everywhere, on my good cobbles. ‘Come on, boy, get up. Let's see you get up. By the blood of creeping Christ, stand on your feet.’

Creeping Christ? he thinks. What does he mean? His head turns sideways, his hair rests in his own vomit, the dog barks, Walter roars, and bells peal out across the water. He feels a sensation of movement, as if the filthy ground has become the Thames. It gives and sways beneath him; he lets out his breath, one great final gasp. You've done it this time, a voice tells Walter. But he closes his ears, or God closes them for him. He is pulled downstream, on a deep black tide.

Kvothe follows other beggar children, who somehow have found plenty of bread in a suspicious basement of a burnt-out building. Entering the basement, he finds it housing a number of children:

quote:

There were six cots in the room, all occupied. Two children that were hardly more than babies shared a blanket on the stone floor, and another was curled up in a pile of rags. A boy my age sat in a dark corner, his head pressed against the wall.

One of the boys moved slightly on his cot, as if stirring in his sleep. But something was wrong with the movement. It was too strained, too tense. I looked closer and saw the truth. He was tied to the cot. All of them were.

He strained against the ropes and made the noise I had heard in the hall. It was clearer now, a long moaning cry. “Aaaaaaabaaaaaaah.”

For a moment all I could do was think about every story I had ever heard about the Duke of Gibea. About how he and his men had abducted and tortured people for twenty years before the church had gone in and put an end to it.

The moment is successfully deflated with poorly-timed world-building. The basement is actually a Russian orphanage and the restrained children are all disabled. The caretaker has had help from street children, and Kvothe carries water in exchange for bread. Kvothe recalls medical know-how from his past, and there’s an odd use of more modern medical terms.

quote:

Palsied, crippled, catatonic, spastic, Trapis tended them all with equal and unending patience. I never once heard him complain of anything, not even his bare feet, which were always swollen and must have pained him constantly.

This is almost a good scene. That this is an uplifting scene is delightfully grim. I say “almost” because Rothfuss still struggles with prose, and... well, whatever good one finds in Kingkiller ends up highlighting its flaws. In this case, the entire Tarbean sequence is flawed because it is narrative and thematically pointless beyond providing some exposition.

In Chapter 22, “A Time for Demons,” has started to adjust life on the streets, and even has a hiding-place for his meagre possessions. It’s also time for the ‘Midwinter Pageantry,’ which was first mentioned when Kvothe was disparaging the less educated. It’s a religious holiday of the ‘Tehlin’ faith, where perfomers dress as demons to harass passers-by. Kvothe tries begging at an upscale neighbourhood, but after some success he’s assaulted by a hired guard. Like the other street scuffles, it’s a delightfully visceral scene, but there’s something disjointed about it.

quote:

I hardly noticed. The air hummed before his club cracked against my leg. He snarled at me, “Don’t come Hillside, understand?” The club caught me again, this time across the shoulder blades. “Everything past Fallow Street is off limits to you little whore’s sons. Understand?” he backhanded me across the face and I tasted blood as my head careened off the snow-covered cobbles.

I curled into a ball as he hissed down at me. “And Mill Street and Mill Market is where I work, so you never. Come. Back. Here. Again.” He punctuated each word with a blow from his stick. “Understand?”

I lay there shaking in the churned-up snow, hoping it was over. Hoping he would just go away. “Understand?” He kicked me in the stomach and I felt something tear inside of me.

I cried out and must have babbled something. He kicked me again when I didn’t get up, then went away.

When I say that these kinds of scenes are delightful, I’m not being facetious. These are the most affecting parts of the book. Kvothe digs through snow bare-handed and bleeding for his money, and it’s good.

Kvothe is saved from freezing to death by two of the demon performers. He watches the pageantry alone, and eventually finds an inn with sympathetic servants. Kvothe insists on staying away from them after getting inn because he still wishes to avoid people. But this insistence begins to feel hollow. For the reader, mind you, not Kvothe.

quote:

She looked at me. “You can have a corner by the fire in here if you want it.”

The younger girl nodded quickly. “Nattie won’t mind.” She took a step and reached out to take my arm.

I jerked away from her, almost falling. “No!” I meant to shout but it came out as a weak croak, “Don’t touch me.” My voice was shaking, though I couldn’t tell if I was angry or afraid. I staggered away against the wall. My voice was blurry in my ears. “I’ll be fine.”

The younger girl started to cry, her hands hanging useless at her sides.

“I’ve got somewhere to go.” My voice cracked and I turned away. I hurried off as fast as I could. I wasn’t sure what I was running from, unless it was people. That was another lesson I had learned perhaps too well: people meant pain. I heard a few muffled sobs behind me. It seemed a long while before I made it to the corner.

[...]

The first swallow of wine burned my mouth like fire where it was cut. But the second didn’t sting nearly so much. The bread was soft and the turkey was still warm.

I woke at midnight when all the bells in the city started ringing. People ran and shouted in the streets. The seven days of High Mourning were behind us. Midwinter was past. A new year had begun.

ROTHFUSSIAN ATTRIBUTES

quote:

His voice was old and tired around the edges, but at its center it was patient. Patient as a heavy stone or a mother cat with kittens. Not the sort of voice I expected a Duke-of-Gibea type to have.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 2, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

HELLO LADIES posted:

The problems with Rothfuss's writing are fundamentally down to his personality and character as a human being, not any technical flaw. The prose is bad, but it's not the problem. His gooniness is the problem.

The technical flaws make for good discussion as opposed to Two Minutes Hate.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Interlude - The Reviewers

ChickenWing posted:

I think the problem is that a whole lot of you are coming at this from a very high-minded eng lit sort of perspective.

For Joe Average (me), these books are a very entertaining read. Doors of Stone could be qualitatively identical to NotW and WMF and they would still be released to massive sales. Rothfuss's writing is certainly better than average, if only because the worse writers tend to write more.

There's not much different between an average and trained reader, and little that would stop them from enjoying book the other enjoys. I have the same experience reading Kingkiller that everyone else does, I simply have the vocabulary to discuss it better.

Who does "Joe Average" represent here? Who are the people enjoying the books?

SFF World review posted:

Rothfuss is working from a bottomless well of raw talent. You don't have to get much more than half a dozen pages in before acknowledging that you're looking at a natural born writer. His ease with language and unpretentious, flowing prose are a joy to behold. Such craft makes this lengthy novel fly by. Indeed, his writing is so good that unattentive readers may overlook a few glaring plot flaws, as well as the fact that at the end, quite literally nothing is resolved. Of course, in series fiction, one expects much to be left open for resolution in subsequent books. That's the point. But I have this kooky idea that good series novels still ought to work in the same way good stand-alone novels do. Each book ought to have its own set of conflicts that achieve narrative closure, the resolution of which acts as the springboard for the next book's conflicts. A great example would, as usual, be Martin (with the general exception of A Feast for Crows). The unforgettable climactic battle in A Clash of Kings settles that book's major plot issues, but opens up all new conflicts for A Storm of Swords. Gemmel's Troy: Lord of the Silver Bow resolved its narrative, and Shield of Thunder built its narrative upon that. Et cetera. There's no closure to anything at all, really, in The Name of the Wind. It's all a 660-page preamble.

[...]

Yet Rothfuss's absorbing writing carries him through. As the book moves into its second half, a number of genuinely intriguing mysteries are introduced, building your investment in the story as Kvothe inches closer to the secret of the Chandrian and his hoped-for vengeance. Happily, any fear the the University scenes might be overly reminiscent of Rowling's Hogwarts are quickly nullified, even though some familiar tropes put in appearances. Kvothe finds himself with both loyal friends and a bitter, vindictive rival. There is also a love interest in Denna, an enigmatic girl with a penchant for appearing and disappearing at whim. Frankly I didn't like her much. She comes across as a plain old cocktease. But it's dead obvious Rothfuss has something up his sleeve where she's concerned. Late in the story there is a tragic event at which Kvothe is surprised to find Denna present, as there is no good reason for her to be there. So we know something's up. It's all a matter of seeing if Rothfuss skirts predictability in his reveal

Top review on Goodreads posted:

As for the characters and their growth, I am so impressed and so in love I will no doubt do a bad job of expressing it. While Kvothe's story is told in his voice, first person, the present day interludes are told in third person omniscient, but usually from certain characters' points of view. You get a mix of other people's impressions of characters, and a gentle showing that tells us even more. The genius is in how Kvothe is portrayed: while telling the story, himself as a young boy, already having experienced tragedy and sorrow and despair, and already feeling the weight of worldly concerns, but still with a lot to learn, comes across strongly. This is counter-balanced with Kvothe as a man, having been through all that and more and had it shape him into something subtly different, yet still very much the same person. If it had been written poorly, there would have been discord between the two Kvothes, but there isn't. He has so much charisma, and is such a complex sort, that I really felt for him. I may even have a bit of crush, actually. He's not good or evil, but he's suffering from a conscience: he's very human, and lonely, despite the friendship of Bast. At the same time, he's a god-like figure, an amazing musician, a skilled fighter, and a powerful magician. One moment he's commanding and chillingly masterful, the next he's doing Bast's bidding and fetching food and cutting wood for others. I expect it's his contradictions and complexities that draw me to him.

Onion AV Club review posted:

The Name Of The Wind is quite simply the best fantasy novel of the past 10 years, although attaching a genre qualification threatens to drat it with faint praise. Say instead that The Name Of The Wind is one of the best stories told in any medium in a decade. Author Patrick Rothfuss teaches English at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, and he describes himself in self-deprecating terms as a perpetual student, role-playing geek, and connoisseur of rejection letters. That's all about to change. His debut novel combines the intricate stories-within-stories structure of The Arabian Nights with the academic setting of the Harry Potter series, and transforms it all into a brooding, thoroughly adult meditation on how heroism went wrong. More entries in the series, dubbed "The Kingkiller Chronicle," are promised; they can't appear fast enough.

[...]

Fantasy is often considered an adolescent medium, but there's nothing juvenile about Kvothe or his story. Not only does Rothfuss sprinkle in the occasional vulgarity (in one bracing moment, Kvothe's beloved blurts out "it's a goddamn huge dragon and it's going to come over here and eat us"), but the aura of tragedy that hovers over this bright, crowded coming-of-age tale conveys a fully mature world-weariness and loss of hope. Shelve The Name Of The Wind beside The Lord Of The Rings, The Deed Of Paksenarrion, and The Wheel Of Time—and look forward to the day when it's mentioned in the same breath, perhaps as first among equals.

These are all interesting, because the reviewers don't actually seem to enjoy the books in themselves. It seems like the opposite of enjoyment, because each has their own fantasy around the book that's the main draw. The first reviewer is convinced that there is a special relationship between them and the author. The second is attracted to imaginary people. The third spents a quarter of the review talking about how clearly monumental and mature the book is. Critical discussion is mostly limited to plot summaries.

Are these "Average Joes"? I doubt it. These people are nerds. Your Average Joe will probably put the book down as nerdy crap, because that's what it is.

Even in this thread, the goons who like the book seem awfully reticent to actually say why they enjoy the books. Even in perfunctory way. Instead they just say they like it, Kvothe is awesome, etc. Anyone can talk about why a book is good, you don't need training in critical reading to do that (anyone can do a critical reading). Anyone can point to the writing and say what parts they enjoy. So why won't they?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 5, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"I have a read a book ten times, yet I am unable to say anything substantial about it."

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Reading something mechanically and passively for 10 times isn't enjoying something. In fact, it's only reading in a technical sense. "The right way of reading" indeed shows that the books are bad, because there is and has always been only one way of reading: active as opposed to passive.

The pleasure ascribed to Kingkiller is merely a synonym for "distraction". There is little enjoyable in the books themselves.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 28, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 18, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

I enjoy the fictional history Rothfuss created; he commits fully to the concept of a living world; mundane things like currency conversions, folktales, or the difference of customs from one kingdom to the next are brought up. This makes the world feel less sterile and artificial than some fantasy I've read. I enjoy learning about various corners of the world.

The magic "systems" are great too. Sympathy occupies a fun niche between magic and science; giving Kvothe (and others) opportunities to cleverly employ their talents without pulling unknown abilities out of thin air.

Rothfuss' prose flows effortlessly; I quite frequently would just lose hours to reading with no awareness of passage of time due to just how well the writing flows. His use of metaphor is also highly enjoyable, such as the opening and closing "silence of three parts" bits. His writing is incredibly evocative and intuitive.

There. Have I managed to justify myself to you yet? Is the great and powerful GodKing of Enjoyment, forums poster BravestOfTheLamps willing to admit that I was not lying when I professed to enjoy a book I have read? Or will you continue to be a ruthless dictator; hellbent on telling me what my feelings and emotions are?

Most what you've described is paraphernalia. What's enjoyable about Kingkiller is reading about a man narrating his life and exploits. Currency conversion is only interesting in how it furthers that.

The rest (like the prose) can be chalked up to simple bad taste.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

Again, you do not exist in my head; you cannot tell me what I enjoyed.

On the contrary my friend, you are making your thoughts and emotions clear through this very discussion. According to you, the Kingkiller series are containers for objects you appreciate. You enjoy the prose by how you don't notice it, and it distracts you from the real world. "Silence of three parts" is no metaphor; how may you enjoy Rothfuss's metaphors if you do not know what they are? Again, you cannot express the unitary pleasure that comes from reading.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
When it comes to genre fiction I remember enjoying this snippet from Joe Abercrombie's Red Country:

quote:

Sworbreck had come to see the face of heroism and instead he had seen evil. Seen it, spoken with it, been pressed up against it. Evil turned out not to be a grand thing. Not sneering Emperors with world-conquering designs. Not cackling demons plotting in the darkness beyond the world. It was small men with their small acts and their small reasons. It was selfishness and carelessness and waste. It was bad luck, incompetence and stupidity. It was violence divorced from conscience or consequence. It was high ideals, even, and low methods.

jivjov posted:

Are you seriously this loving dense? YOU. CANNOT. TELL. ME. WHAT. I. ENJOY.

I have no power over you save for what you have now granted to me.

jivjov posted:

Is that in small enough words and presented clearly enough for you to understand? You're the self-proclaimed goddamn expert of reading things so properly. You are not me. You enjoy different things than I do.

Correct, I enjoy different things, like reading Kingkiller.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Oxxidation posted:

I dunno, the sentiment's pedestrian and while I like the use of repetition I've seen it done better elsewhere. Though my genre-fiction...genre...of choice is horror, not fantasy/sci-fi, so our standards probably differ.

It's true that I'm more forgiving when I find resonance in the ideas. Here's something more refined from one of the greatest works of fantasy ever written, John Crowley's Little, Big:

quote:

Striving like the Meadow Mouse to disbelieve in Winter, Smoky gorged himself on the summer sky, lying late into the night on the ground staring upward, though the month had an R in it and Cloud thought it bad for nerve, bone, and tissue. Odd that the changeful constellations, so mindful of the seasons, should be what he chose of summer to memorize, but the turning of the sky was so slow, and seemed so impossible, that it comforted him. Yet he needed only to look at his watch to see that they fled away south even as the geese did.

On the night Orion rose and Scorpio set, a night as warm almost as August for reasons of the weather’s own but in fact by that sign the last night of summer, he and Sophie and Daily Alice lay out in a sheep-shorn meadow on their backs, their heads close together like three eggs in a nest, as pale too as that in the night light. They had their heads together so that when one pointed out a star, the arm he pointed with would be more or less in the other’s line of sight; otherwise, they would be all night saying That one, there, where I’m pointing, unable to correct for billions of miles of parallax. Smoky had the star-book open on his lap, and consulted it with a flashlight whose light was masked with red cellophane taken from a Dutch cheese so its bightness wouldn’t blind him.

[...]

The menagerie of heaven, racing as from a zoo breakout through the lives of the men and women, gods and heroes; the band of the Zodiac (that night all their birth-signs were invisible, bearing the sun around the south); the impossible dust of the Milky Way rainbow-wise overarching them; Orion lifting one racing foot over the horizon, following his dog Sirius. They discovered the moment’s rising sign. Jupiter burned unwinking in the west. The whole spangled beach-umbrella, fringed with the Tropics, revolved on its bent staff around the North Star, too slowly to be seen, yet steadily.

Smoky, out of his childhood reading, related the interlocking tales told above them. The pictures were so formless and incomplete, and the tales, some at least, so trivial that it seemed to Smoky that it must all be true: Hercules looked so little like himself that the only way anyone could have found him was if he’d got the news about Hercules being up there, and was told where to look. As one tree traces its family back to Daphne but another has to be mere commoner; as only the odd flower, mountain, fact gets to have divine ancestry, so Cassiopeia of all people is brilliantly asterized, or her chair rather, as though by accident; and somebody else’s crown, and another’s lyre: the attic of the gods.

The interplay of celestial and mundane is terrific. Like how the awkwardness of pointing out a star is associated with "the billions of mile of parallax," and becomes a symbol of the vast chasm between all people. The vast sky of stars is perfect to illustrate the confusion of meaning, where the trivial and the divine are intertwined.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 28, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ulmont posted:

Oh, what the hell. A nonexhaustive list of bits Ulmont liked from chapter 2:

This is again the problem of describing a book as a container for things you like instead of appreciating reading the book as whole. Anyone can gather up bits up from the book that are effective - but this is missing the forest for the trees.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 29, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

RentACop posted:

I enjoy your posts but I'm unsure what example could satisfy your criteria at this point

Showing why the main body of The Name of the Wind or Wise Man's Fear is enjoyable, and preferably also why that can't be chalked up to bad taste. For an example of not just picking apart a list of things, I'm bringing up passages and sequences in preparation for a final thesis.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 29, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Nakar posted:

Or perhaps nothing will satisfy him. I dunno.

You're correct except for this. People can prove that they find reading Kingkiller to be enjoyable. it's however a Catch-22, because unless you enjoy critically reading something bad, being entertained by Kingkiller requires a measure of bad taste.

Fans of Kingkiller have contributed to this discussion with what they like, but it's rather disjointed. They're entertained by aspects of the novels, but struggle to say anything meaningful about them. They liked the little touches, they liked that conversation, you don't notice the flow of time for how well prose flows. None of them have actually said what Kingkiller is about and how that might make it good and enjoyable. I suggest this is because even Kingkiller is not sure what it's about.

jivjov posted:

He's pre-ordained that Rothfuss' novels are Objectively Bad and anyone who enjoyed them is Reading Wrong or whatever.

That Rothfuss's novels are bad is my subjective opinion - but just because it's a subjective opinion doesn't stop it from being completely and totally right. Subjectivity is not at all incompatible with truth.

That Rothfuss's novels are bad is not objective reality - it is truth.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ulmont posted:

I'm not understanding your asserted problem here. I enjoyed the Name of the Wind in the same way I enjoyed Baudelino (or The Book of the New Sun); I can't say as I've ever read a book without finding portions that were less powerful or entertaining than others.

Further - your commentary is, unsurprisingly, picking and choosing portions of the text to emphasize or criticize; suggesting that people can't do the same for portions they enjoy seems disingenuous.

You've already begged the question here, of course, but I question what definition you are using of bad, other than "things BravestOfTheLamps doesn't like."

I confess, I've been unfair with this. So I'm going to try to illustrate what makes some books enjoyable and good. With "enjoyable" I mean entertainment-value, and with "good" I broadly mean the literary merits that elevate them above simple distraction.

Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and Gray Mouser stories are enjoyable because they're satirical adventures of thieves in a world both close and dream-like. They're good because they're as cunning as fantasy gets, as the satire will suddenly reveal something dark and abyssal within it.

Mika Waltari's The Egyptian is enjoyable because it's a stunning epic, filled with anecdote and adventure that covers the breadth of human experience without ever straining. It's good because this epic scope allows for a profound meditation on human folly.

George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire was enjoyable because it's a complex and lurid story of intrigue and war, always kept moving by something new and exhilarating. It was kind of good because it's polyphony and pithy wit made it authentic.

Zadie Smith's NW is enjoyable because it's account of London life crackles with the anxieties of class, race, and urbanity. it's good because it gives voice to the fears of the working class, the limitations of the middle classes, and to the brutal street criminal that we fear and hate despite our liberal pretences.

But what can one sum up as being enjoyable and good about Patrick Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicle?

ulmont posted:

This is an odd criticism. Kingkiller is a coming of age story so far. It has hints that it might turn into something better - or worse - but, to date, we have a child growing up into an adult. Call it Harry Potter, Magicians, or Taran Wanderer if you want; there doesn't need to be more than that. There are only two stories, after all; this one is a man goes on a journey.

It's not odd at all - Kingkiller has no proper story beyond "things happen to Kvothe that made him exceptional". It's no coming-of-age story or Augustinian confession, because Kvothe starts the the story as fully developed and mature as he is ever going to get (there are no psychical differences between Kvothe as a child, Kvothe as a teenager, and Kvothe as a young adult playing at being a bitter old man). It's no journey through a fantasy world, because the setting isn't used to tell a story; it's simply there to provide impressive motifs and environments (which is why a secular university coexists with the Inquisition). It's no adventure because there is no plot.

One might then say that Kingkiller is a bold post-modern story that exploits and defies storytelling conventions to create something new... but it's still about a scrappy hero trying to track down Voldemort and his Death Eaters while bedeviled by Draco Malfoy and Professor Snape (and that's a generous description).

It's story is neither epic nor focused, neither fantastical or realistic, and it's too conventional to be subversive. All that remains is that the story is about Kvothe. But what does Kvothe represent? Nothing but his own exceptional nature.

Granted, the series hasn't completed yet. If the third book is against all odds released and reveals what the story is, Kingkiller is, if nothing, else one of the most impressive feats of legerdemain ever conceived. What else can you call hiding the story for two whole books?

Nakar posted:

In theory, a person who hates some work of great importance (pick your favorite here) could do a textual analysis of it in some depth and conclude that for as much as that critic loathes the work for moral or philosophical reasons or for the way characters think and behave, there is something of merit in the construction of the work and what it sets out to do that justifies the conclusions it reaches even if the critic disagrees with them.

You have encapsulated my position perfectly. e: But it goes the other way around too, doesn't it?

What I enjoy in Kingkiller, incidentally, are the occasional elements of brutal realism and grim satire.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 1, 2016

• Locked thread