Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Lottery of Babylon posted:

You say that as though present-day Rothfuss's prose is any better. Say what you will about Name of the Wind, at least it isn't Slow Regard.

Well, hypothetically if Rothfuss had the maturity to let go of this old story then he'd also be mature enough to improve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Art is nebulous by definition and doesn't stand up to stringent standards. Nothing about art can be "proven" like a chemistry experiment.

"People always ask me how we can charge so much for what amounts to gradations of white. I tell them it's not about the artist's name or the skill required. It's not even about the art itself. All that matters is...how does it make you feel?"

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

ulmont posted:

What is it about books that leads to this suggestion? I don't see nearly the same number of calls for people to stop watching Archer and watch Masterpiece Theatre, to give Zoolander 2 a miss in favor of Kate Plays Christine, or to abandon Fallout 4 for Papers, Please. But Jesus, you read one airplane book, and...

Dude I don't know what world you live in that people are never huge snobs about movies or tv shows or games but I would love to live there.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

jivjov posted:

Hold up; have you even been to the amiibo thread, or he other Nintendo threads? I'm one of the most coherent posters in there.

It's time to stop posting.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Genre authors have a terrible track record with sex scenes in general, mostly because they're like the excerpt BotL posted: they're completely about the protagonist's ego and give way too much insight into what the author finds hot. And most of the time that's pretty repellent.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Also when sex scenes rely on metaphors, then that's just straight purple prose. Read Danielle Steele if that poo poo is your jam. Don't try to pretend it's good writing.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Kvothe is just so tedious and drab, I don't understand the appeal of following the adventires of someone that makes killing a dragon (via LSD treesap if I remember correctly) so boring.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
It's so weird how Rothfuss manages to absorb all this media and yet doesn't understand what makes it work. He attends writing workshops and yet only goes through the process without understanding what the process is trying to teach him. "Destroy the world" indeed.

I am more and more amazed that a publisher looked at this, that an editor was put on this book, and that it was published as it was.

As a first or second draft I can understand this kind of confusion within the material but it's baffling that no one tried to correct this.

Or maybe Rothfuss refused?

I hope someone publishes some behind the scenes material someday explaining what the gently caress happened.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I think it's worth pointing out that Lamps is loving with the thread by being deliberately obtuse.

But jivjov, don't bring anecdotes to a lit fight. Show your work by quoting specific passages and then breaking down why you think those passages are good, even if it's something really basic like appreciating the grammar.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
BravestoftheLamps is right though. Rothfuss may have wanted to present Kvothe in a certain way but he failed to do so and instead managed to make a bratty little jerk that no one likes.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

jivjov posted:

Because it has never been my experience that a webform is an appropriate venue for scholarly writing. The tone around here is much more conversational.

I myself have a film review thread over in CineD, and I try to always make it very clear that what I am stating it my own opinion, I am not trying to "convince" anyone, I am trying to share my thoughts.

He probably isn't going to change any time soon, why keep coming back if Lamp's reviews just make you angry?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Talk about the books you retards

Please return this thread back to its true path and insult NotW some more

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

jivjov posted:

I never thought of it before; but that might be a deliberate stylistic choice, given the framing device is that Kvothe is orally narrating to Chronicler.

It's too late for this one.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

SatansOnion posted:

edit: Come to think of it, those scenes Lamps has quoted, like in the Medica, felt really visually oriented to me. I mean, most of the description is all about what you see, like moving around the room or whatever a character's eyes are doing. That might be part of why reading it felt kind of lacking in descriptive power despite being so meticulous in detailing the state of the Master Healer's eyes and such :v:

I was thinking about this today and realized that the problem goes back to the comic book fanart posted a few pages back. Comic books can be literary but literature cannot be comic books, and Rothfuss's primary media consumption has primarily been tv, movies, manga, and superhero comics. He thinks completely in visual terms and doesn't read enough high-brow literature to understand how the English language works in a literary way, so all the dialogue fits into speech bubbles.

That's why these books feel like a DnD campaign, he's just describing what people are doing in cinematic terms which is how you get poo poo like "a grin that was nothing like a smile" or whatever.

Hm.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

jivjov posted:

Remember that Kvothe grew up around musicians, and then when they were all brutally murdered he used music as a coping mechanism for depression and insanity. He quite clearly has an unhealthy level of attachment to the ability to make music.

But this is not how a traumatized musician would react to hearing music after making traumatic associations with it. It just doesn't quite make sense.

Like this line:

quote:

The everyday lack of my music was like a toothache I had grown used to. I could live with it. But having what I wanted dangled in front of me was more than I could bear.

This is the reaction someone has to not having access to their iPod. This someone who passively listens to music and wants to listen to it all the time. A mindless consumer, an aural glutton.

Musicians can make their own music wherever they go, even if it's just humming. In fact a musician will likely be a person who constantly taps rhythms, hums songs, recalls lyrics out of no where, and actively seeks out other musicians to learn from them. (Source: I've been a singer for 15 years and I do all of this.)

If Kvothe was as musically literate as Rothfuss wants him to be then music would be something he makes as an unconscious act. If you've been raised on it, as a child, then it's a part of you and you don't just stop making music because you're traumatized. It's totally internalized, music ceases to be a product you make and becomes something that lives inside your bones. You can't stop doing music just because your parents died. It would be impossible. Music lives inside you, it takes you over, it grows inside you like a tree, even if you don't take care of it. You inhale music and breathe it out.

The only conclusion I can draw from this is that Rothfuss is a musical illiterate that thinks listening to an mp3 player is any way comparable to the act of making music. It isn't.

HIJK fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 30, 2016

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Trammel posted:

This single sentance, injected into the narrative is interestingly at contrast to the rest of the passage. It's all descriptive of Auri, but breaks in to the authors voice, and then returns to description. In the descriptions of Auri we read; her physicality, her language and her behaviour, they are all those of a child/non-adult. But, within 2 sentances of introducting the character, Rothfuss/Kvothe feels it necessary to interject, and say, "No, no, she's totally legal, in fact, she was older than me!". I do wonder if it was the editor, or his own good sense that told him to add that line?

Rothfuss does not appear to have good sense if the legends about book 2 are true. I'm guessing editor.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Nakar posted:

Legends about what, the editing process on the publisher's end? There's probably a lot of dirty laundry I'd love to hear about from publishers on a lot of things.

I've never read book 2, so everything I know about the sex ninjas and the sex fairy is apocrypha/legendary. I don't have any stories about the editing process though I wish I did.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
The things Rothfuss doesn't know has filled two books and one novella/vignette.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Patrick Rothfuss guest starred in the most recent episode of Hello From the Magic Tavern. He was a pretty decent guest too. So check that out if you like?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

You seem to be operating under the misapprehension that this is a fan thread.

It's Rothfuss news, I figured some people would be interested...even if it's only jivjov.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
So what he actually wanted to do was be a cook with glass measuring cups.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
It's like poetry, it rhymes.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Grenrow posted:

I love that Rothfuss had to have Kvothe's sycophants stand off to the side and explain the joke during the battle of wits dialogue. Even if the joke was funny to begin with, having the idiot friends stand around and jaw about how funny it was would have killed any pacing or rhythm in the scene.

But what kind of shonen anime would it be if there wasn't play by play commentary from the audience? Not a very good one!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

BananaNutkins posted:

At a convention, I met Kvothfuss and heard him speak. He mentioned that he has "literally" hundreds of beta readers, but he had a rule for offering feedback, and the rule is thus: Don't offer advice on the sentence or paragraph level. That's his wheelhouse. He's spent "literally" hundreds of hours pouring over every line so the read goes smoothly "like water rushing over river stones".

Messing with his prose, he said, was a "slapping offense" and a quick way to get you dropped from his exclusive circle of readers.

Then he read articles from his blog and the crappy school newspaper he wrote for for eight years.

:wtc: No wonder his prose is so bad the piece of poo poo.

That reminds me of the speech Gurm gave where he whined about how mean editors are and how stupid and evil they are to his precious work and how they get in the way of his VISION

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
He's hanging out in the Nintendo 3DS thread I think. Or the Zelda thread. The two are interchangeable.

The point is he's in Games.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I mostly feel sorry for him because he'll never grow as a writer.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I found Valente kind of pedantic. I gave up on Deathless halfway through because nothing was happening.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
We're getting into deep meta territory now

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Flattened Spoon posted:

Yeah think it's called the road to levinshire. Still don't understand why he copy pasta'd it into the book though. And why do I even know that :saddowns:

Well, Rothfuss's MO is to stitch together old bits and pieces of writing and hope it comes out coherent, right?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
It sounds like he needs to visit a therapist to be honest. Imposter's syndrome is a heck of a drug.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Rothfuss has a lot of weird fetishes.

The worst part is how scifi/fantasy lit culture encourages creators to overshare this poo poo.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

At the risk of fueling the Rothfuss hate cult even more, isn't he still an educator? Why the hell is he acting like that in public?

If those tweets posted in the thread are any indication, he's prone to self sabotage.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
He'd have an easier time if he got someone to ghostwrite it for him.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

BananaNutkins posted:

He didn't elaborate, unfortunately. But he delivered it in a very serious tone, then moved on to the next question. It might have been "slapping" offense. It involved some form of smackery.

Hitting assistants is bad, Patrick

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Jordan wasn't a great writer of women but at least he tried. Rothfuss just writes bad anime characters and goes "IMMA FEMINISTA"

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I hope not the child molesters that Kvothe had to deal with when he was a kid....

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Rothfuss's lack of command over made up language matters. Just because someone is uneducated on a subject does not mean that he won't realize the product is poo poo. Rothfuss's made up words are just like everything else he writes - an artificial Christmas tree that is hollow and not even close to a passable imitation of the real thing.

Tolkien stands out even to the uneducated layman because of his mastery of words, the amount of hard work he put to the craft, and his natural talent. None of these are qualities Rothfuss possesses. And it shows.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Benson Cunningham posted:

Edit: Finally, I think Rothfuss himself has grown older and wiser, and recognizes a number of his own flaws. This more than anything, and this is just a guess, is what's causing the delay in the third book. I don't think he sees a way to chisel out the story he wants to tell from the one he actually did.

If Rothfuss stopped firing people for correcting his bad grammar he would have a writer's group to brainstorm options with.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Let's not forget the Old Crone Who Knows Medicine Better Than Anyone in the village Kvothe's rescued rape victims (including one he caresses after drugging) are from.

Didn't Rothfuss at some point mention he has zero music background? Or am I just projecting that because of the fact he knows gently caress-all about music? Like his tortured description of Kvothe hearing a song and hating that he couldn't join in (or whatever) and was upset because that's how musicians are when that isn't how anyone other than a loving prima donna acts.

I played instruments up through college and Rothfuss writes about music like someone who wants to believe they know what they're talking about and thinks they can convince others that they're right.

He hasn't. He's only gotten worse over time because now he has two best sellers and a totally not up his own rear end novella. And his garbage story was picked up by Lionsgate(?) to make a movie and/or TV show.

Someone mentioned upthread that one of his blog posts bemoans his lack of musical background or something.

I just know he's a loving jackass that doesn't understand the connection between music and poetry and that he's an insufferable idiot that can't do research. I bet he didn't even talk to any musicians to get a feel for the topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
There's nothing wrong with men being feminists. It's gratifying when men stand with us.

The problem with guys like Rothfuss is that they raise the wrong profile especially when they don't demonstrate a good understanding of women's issues. And then everyone looking at Rothfuss isn't looking at the feminists who are actually saying the worthwhile things. And then it snowballs and people think being a feminist means endorsing writers who put out rapey stories where male heroes grope child sex slaves.

My point is that being a guy feminist is great. It's just that Rothfuss destroys everything he touches and is terrible. If you want to be a feminist just do everything opposite of Rothfuss.

• Locked thread