Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Trammel posted:

The thing that bugs me about the sex-ninjas is that they supposedly speak a tonal language, but really, really quietly and discretely, assisted by hand signals.

Living in the country with the largest number of tonal language speakers in the world, I'm convinced Rothfuss doesn't have a loving clue about tonal languages.

Well, that's the thing. I don't remember hearing much about tonality—the emphasis when he was learning the language was all gestures. When I listened to the audiobook, the narrator gave them a vaguely Russian accent.

Benson Cunningham posted:

So if the POV was from a teen in puberty, it would actually make a lot of sense and be hilarious. Unfortunately, it is adult Kvothe describing his younger self, so the idea doesn't hold up. Given the narrative to date, we are forced to believe these things really did happen.

It would make sense if the special-memory-technique memories that Kvothe formed as a pubescent teen were from his perspective, and he decided to present them sans-interpretation so the audience could better understand his perception of what he was going through.

This thread seems to show a surprising amount of dislike for the plot, which surprised me, but that made me think about it and I realized that what I like most about this book is its setting (the magic system complete with mostly conservation of energy, the role of Arcanists in society, the Lethani, the politics), and even if the plot were hardly more than a device for exploring that setting, that's good enough for me.

I would rather not have had to sit through the sex scenes, but overall any accusation of juvenility is lost on me.

Am I just horribly underexposed to good examples in the genre?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Karnegal posted:

Can't speak to Bacigalupi, but this is a good list. Stinky_Pete, If you love world building stuff, Mieville knocks it out of the park - Perdido Street Station and Embassytown both have pretty fascinating worlds.

Benson Cunningham posted:

Oh, N. K. Jemisin too (One Hundred Thousand Kingdoms)

Bacigalupi wrote The Wind-Up Girl which is beyond radical.

Thanks guys, judging by the Wikipedia articles this stuff sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

The Cthae was probably my favorite part of Wise Man's Fear, and it looks like Perdido Street Station has something similar to that, so I'll start there.

Anyway, to slowly regard some silent things for a moment:

Near the end of The Graceful Way to Move posted:

She knew. She should have moved more gently with the world. She knew the way of things. She knew if you weren't always stepping lightly as a bird the whole world came apart to crush you. Like a house of cards. Like a bottle against stones. Like a wrist pinned hard beneath a hand with the hot breath smell of want and wine...

...Then she saw the pieces, and her heart went sideways in her chest. No. Not shattered. Broken. He had broken.

Suddenly Auri's face broke too. It broke into a grin so wide you'd think she ate the moon. Oh yes, Fulcrum had broken, but that wasn't wrong. Eggs break. Horses break. Waves break. Of course he broke. How else could someone so all certain-centered let his perfect answers out into the world? Some things were just too true to stay.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

1. Auri was raped.
2. Auri being raped, not studying naming, is what made her a snowflake broke her
3. Auri being raped is Right because she should be broken.
4. It's Auri's fault she was raped because she was too careless.

What The gently caress

The exact words are wasn't wrong, which is not the same as right, especially with a capital R. The fact that it's from her perspective has already been addressed, but I would like to add that fault isn't a useful concept in her world. She seems to have a very stoic mentality, i.e. "I only have control over my own actions and the rest of the world is just something to adapt to." I'm not seeing "thank goodness I know my place because of that rape," just "dodging is the way to go because poo poo always breaks when you don't dodge."

Nonetheless, though I like Auri, and don't regret listening to it, I thought Slow Regard was pretty boring, and I was confused why preparing for Kvothe's visit took up so much of her time, but I guess he is the only human being she ever talks to... I dunno. She reminds me of my ex-girlfriend, who was just as timid and cryptic. I had to break it off because she was incapable of saying no and the relationship was getting unhealthy. :smith:

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

anilEhilated posted:

Don't. Ever. Compare. PSS. To. Rothfuss.

Alright, let's just say I was contrasting those elements, then ;)

• Locked thread