Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
While Kvothe was weak as a character, I really like the way Rothfuss writes - not so much the characters and plots but just the way he assembles words one after another is a joy to read. While the plot is lacking overall, I'd still read another book just because I like the way he writes. And it seems like, according to the ARC review posted a bit ago, that he's heard these criticisms many times and is taking steps to remedy them in Wise Man's Fear.

Hell, I'll give it a shot on day one. Even if it's terrible, his mastery of the language will be enough reason for me to read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I follow Brandon Sanderson on Facebook, and he just got his ARC of Wise Man's Fear in today. Apparently it weighs in at 1100 pages, 100 pages longer than Way of Kings. Jesus Christ.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

A Nice Boy posted:

Good point, I guess I'm being optimistic. I've received three emails from Amazon in the last couple of weeks...Those "You might want these books!" emails, and all three have had Lamora 3 listed as coming out on Feb 17th. Here's hoping.

A bit off topic, but I have the first Locke Lamora book, but haven't started it yet due to fear of a GRRM type situation... How pissed off am I going to be if I start reading the series?

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I can't wait for this to come out... less than 3 weeks away! I already have mine pre-ordered with release day delivery too :woop:

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Awesome, I'll be going to the Houston date. Now if only Brandon Sanderson would also include Houston in his tours...

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Maxwells Demon posted:

Wait, is the book coming out in March or November?

March - the book that was pushed back to November was the new Scott Lynch book we got derailed on

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Bizob posted:

http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/02/excerpt-the-wise-mans-fear-by-patrick-rothfuss

Tor just spammed me with a link to an excerpt. Enjoy.

Welp, I recognized 3 characters out of the excerpt, so apparently I should probably re-read Name of the Wind in the next week or so.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
That's weird. I got the shipping notice for my copy on Saturday.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I'm about 250 pages in, got my copy around 7 today. I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

Minor impressions -

Kvothe doesn't seem to be nearly as awesome at EVERYTHING this go around, though he's still ridiculously great at music and sympathy. But at least he's shown to have weaknesses to his peers in other areas.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
500 or so pages in. It's pretty awesome for the most part, but (not really a spoiler so to speak, no plot points just bitching) I think I'm beginning to hate Denna more than Faile, which if you've ever read WoT is rather impressive. This entire series would be infinitely better if Denna wasn't in it. "OH I DONT WANT TO DRIVE HER OFF BUT I LOVE HER SO SHE SMELLS LIKE JEALOUSY IS LIKE A WILD SHY DEER A SHY TWO LEGGED DEER I WANT TO NAIL BUT I MUSTN'T HOLD ON TOO TIGHTLY awww she disappeared again who saw that one coming, time to loving cry about it for two pages" I'll be all into the story of some other poo poo going on, and all the sudden twenty pages of Denna. I hope she's actually Cinder post-sex change operation. It's not even that she's a bad character, it's just that Kvothe is a giant loving babby every time she shows up (or more accurately stops showing up)

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

cuddlefish posted:

I've been enjoying it a lot so far, but I just reached the part with Felurian :barf:. It's like all the creepy nerd fulfillment he'd been holding relatively in check flooded out in one horrible looong chapter.

The Denna fight was also really uncomfortable. He's so in love with her and thinks she's so perfect, but the second he's mad at her he almost calls her a whore. Nothing at all to do with the fight, just him instantly wanting to go there.

I guess what I'm saying is, almost anytime a girl shows up it's still awkward as hell.

Yup. I'm with you on the Felurian point 100%. I actually stayed up too late reading it last night, and that poo poo finally made me put the book down. He had better be going somewhere awesome with this.

Regarding Denna - Well, whilst being an incredibly creepy stalker he did in fact overhear her giving advice to a street urchin on being the best whore she could be, immediately after saying something to the effect of "You remind me so much of me" or "I see myself in you clearer than a mirror". Also, as someone who has a family mostly comprised of redheads, they do have a hell of a temper and WILL go there. I was just so excited to be rid of Denna and then all the sudden this Felurian poo poo starts.

Despite all this bitching, I'm still enjoying the book a hell of a lot. Just not on the level of a new Brandon Sanderson or Jim Butcher book.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I am teetering on the edge of picking this up, and having read the little plot synopsis I have to ask one question.

Does a majority of the book end up with him "learning the ways of love" from the hottest faerie chick on the planet?

If so, that's horrible enough self insertion/wish fulfillment/zapp brannigan that I might wanna actually read just for the laughs. It might just topple the anita blake wereswan sex as the #1 "what in the holy gently caress was the writer thinking?" contender.

Not looking for details, cause god knows I am going to get a shitload of those from the book, but just looking for a yes or no answer.

If you don't want to know the answer to this question do not read this! I don't know about the majority of the book, but yes, he does learn the ways of love from the hottest faerie chick on the planet. And I don't have the book here at my office to check, but it feels like it went on at least 50 pages. And I haven't finished reading that part yet.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I'm going to the Houston signing on Sunday. I may or may not get a chance to ask questions. If I do, anything yall want me to ask him?

Only one on my list currently goes something like "So. Patrick. Felurian. Why exactly?"

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Just finished. It got better after THAT scene, but it really spoiled the book for me. I was really enjoying it up until that point, but it just soured the whole book. I still enjoyed last 200 pages or so, but I don't know that I'm going to feel compelled to re-read this one, at least not until the third one comes out.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Benson Cunningham posted:

Assuming for a moment that Kvothe can't fight anymore, I would have to believe everything he said about his time with the Adem was a lie. You can definitely fall out of practice, but we're lead to believe Kvothe is still built like a brick poo poo house and from personal experience, techniques and movements come back very, very quickly. Alternatively, Patrick Rothfuss has never thrown a punch in his life and everything he knows about martial arts comes from movies. That second thing would actually explain a lot.

I'll take Hollywood martial arts for $500, Alex.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

MarshallX posted:

It's funny how a bunch of goons have taken it from "This part was way too long and the scenes were a bit awkward" to "he is incredibly creepy as far as women go".

He is no more creepy to women than 90% of the men posting here.

Honestly, it wasn't that bad it was just way, way too long for such an irrelevant part of the story. Can we move on?

You know, for me it really was that bad and honestly ruined my enjoyment of the book. I've read worse, I've read creepier, but I don't think I've ever read such a nerdy sex scene in my life outside of terrible NFL erotic fanfics that get posted occasionally in TFF.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Somehow the guy is married with a kid. Who knows.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

AngusPodgorny posted:

Mt first thought about Meluan Lackless wasn't Kvothe's mother but Denna:

Meluan was described at the banquet as "maddingly familiar" and that "[h]er mouth was full and red without the benefit of any paint." The same description had just been used for Denna: “Her lips, as always, were red without the aid of any paint.” (The Kindle edition lacks page numbers, but the Denna description was at 44% and the Meluan description at 46%.)

The connection to Kvothe's mother is clear later on, but that may not be the only one because Kvothe said of Meluan that he "would have thought [he] knew her from the University."

The Jo Walton article also pointed out something I'd missed, that the Lackless box had Yllish writing on it and Denna had Yllish braiding.

Unsubstantiated Dresden Files-Time Travel caliber theory - Kvothe finally nails Denna and they live happily ever after until they find out that Lackless is both of their mothers and they are brother and sister. This revelation drives Kvothe off the deep end, kills everyone, and then swears on his power to never be anything but emo again.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

War Eagle posted:

Ok, from the link above:

I haven't read Wheel of Time in a long time, but isn't this exactly what happened with the desert people and the gypsies in that story?

You are absolutely correct - Aiel and Tuatha'an (Jenn Aiel)

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
He was actually playing a game of chess and he was winning (of course) and instead of saying checkmate he actually took the king off of the board, which caused him to be an outlaw for the rest of his days.

This would be the best possible outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I actually liked Red Seas, didn't really mind the pirate poo poo, mostly because it was awesome to see an author who is ok with their characters being really really bad at something. But the Lies is far and away a better story.

• Locked thread