Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

A Nice Boy posted:

Good point, I guess I'm being optimistic. I've received three emails from Amazon in the last couple of weeks...Those "You might want these books!" emails, and all three have had Lamora 3 listed as coming out on Feb 17th. Here's hoping.

Supposedly he has not even turned in a final manuscript, so keep hoping:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

Dramatika posted:

Welp, I recognized 3 characters out of the excerpt, so apparently I should probably re-read Name of the Wind in the next week or so.

I'm pretty sure the only characters from the excerpt that we've seen before are Elodin Kvothe and Fela.

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

Justaddwater posted:

Hopefully both.

From the tone at the end of the book I'm thinking that most of his friends from the University will be killed.

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

Bizob posted:

Holy poo poo, there is alot of very interesting stuff in there. Particularly the very simple interpretation of the lovely song Kvothe's dad wrote. So simple.

Yeah, if Rothfuss did that on purpose I'm ready to forgive quite a bit of the creepy sex scenes.

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

BananaNutkins posted:

Maybe we can get Rothfuss to read this thread and his confidence will plunge, his psyche will shatter into a million pieces a la Scott Lynch, and we will never get to read book three, also like Scott Lynch.

New topic: on the goon scale, Scott Lynch is like an eleven, whereas Rothfuss tops out at an Aspergerian 9er.

Lynch named his character in homage of a final fantasy character.

Lynch lives in the Midwest with his parents and disappears for years at a time. One of his last blog posts was outrage about the Blizzard Real ID program.

Lynch's books talk endlessly about a girl the reader never meets, as if she is so perfect that to see her would ruin her. I have a feeling this is why the third book is taking so long--Lynch realized he would have to put her in at some point, but can't bear to put into words his idealization of the perfect fantasy women.

Lynch started a weekly serialized novel on his website something like two years ago and has since then posted 6 updates. I think he started it in desperation when his royalty checks were not quite enough to keep him in the cheetos. There is a gratuitous paypal link to donate in order to keep the serialization going, but I guess no one was interested.

I actually love Scott Lynch, minus that second book I think we can all just forget about.

Don't forget the WoW addiction and divorce and crippling depression.
Also, I enjoyed the pirates in RSURS. So there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

Khoryos posted:

I love how people are calling misogyny on a feral kid imprinting on the first woman of his own age he meets, and not mentioning the fact that the only female Amyr gained her position courtesy of being the first rape victim.
Stay classy, guys.

Wait, when do we find out about the female Amyr?

• Locked thread