Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003
Just finished the second book. I enjoy the series at times it's really entertaining others though it reads like fan fiction. Some of the prose is cringe worthy. I realize that you have to give some allowance for Kvothe being 15 but his friends are all older and are just as silly while supposedly being very wise not to mention this is all a retelling by narration of a supposedly wiser and more mature Kvothe yet none of this is actually reflected in the text. The second book definitely reads at times like author masturbation. And Kvothe is definitely a Mary Sue: at times he's brilliant and others he's incredibly dumb for plot reasons. The world is also not very fleshed out relying on fantasy tropes to get readers to identify with the world which works but isn't a hallmark of great writing.

This is definitely guilty pleasure reading comparing this to Jordan or Martin is blasphemy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003
Think you're taking the use of blasphemy too literally. I mean that they're much better writers than Rothfuss.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Habibi posted:

I wouldn't say that Jordan is a much better writer than Rothfuss, but it definitely took him longer (like book 4) before he started making the huge steps backward that WMF was compared to NotW. Both guys have a LOT of immaturity in their writing styles, and interestingly, a lot of it for both of them has to do with their female characters. But other than that, they have similarly large faults but in different areas.

Rothfuss is on his second book, Jordan had written for 30 years as a professional writer. Jordan's characterization of women may not be to some people's tastes but his writing is much more consistent in form and word choice than Rothfuss. I'm not saying that one is more creative than the other but just in terms of the quality of writing you can tell one is more polished than the other.

• Locked thread