Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

Beans posted:

I don't know if this is taboo or not, but here is another excerpt (not the one released by Tor) from Wise Man's Fear that appeared ~2008

http://www.zimbio.com/member/pat5150/articles/3711983/Exclusive+excerpt+Patrick+Rothfuss+WISE+MAN

I think the series would be a bit bitter if the unreliable narrator hypothesis is true. This quote from that excerpt gives me a lot of hope:

quote:

But between these two extremes lay a great many students. Most minds don’t break when put under the Arcanum’s stresses, they simply crack a little. Sometimes these cracks show themselves in small ways: facial ticks, stuttering. Some students became forgetful, others remembered things that hadn’t happened at all. Some students heard voices, others grew sensitive to light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

Kvothe's box: I was under the impression that this box was different from Lackless's, since hers wasn't described as having keyholes or being made of the same roah wood his was (it was made of some other magic wood rich in metal content or something). I figured it was just a box he made, locked with his magic powers, and can't get back open now that he is incompetent. Maybe that's where his shadow cloak went.

Kvothe's helplessness: I haven't read Name of the Wind in a while, but I think I remember Kvothe claiming he had to kill an angel or somesuch to accomplish some goal. I always guessed that to mean that killed Denna (possibly related to the face that her patron may be a Chandrian - see Ash/Cinder theory) or let her die and the trauma from that ruined him mentally.

Felurian: I didn't have as much of a problem with this as most people did. The sex scenes weren't as common as I expected during the 60-page Fae vacation, and most of the super-sex techniques were only mentioned in one paragraph (except for repeated mentions of the Hundred-Hand Slap or whatever it was called). The STI-free/free-love/man-mother thing the Adem had going on was pretty goony though.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

Hollis posted:

Does anyone else find Bast's reactions and generally feelings toward Kvothe very strange to the point of creepiness. I kind of think he's his son/ related to him some how

Anything is possible, of course, but Bast was specifically introduced as "Bastas, son of Remmen, Prince of Twilight and the Telwyth Mael." Someone brought up that same theory in the Tor.com re-read of this series that now exists for some reason. Although now that I think about it, the phrase I just quoted doesn't specify whether Bast or Remmen is the Prince; Remmen might turn out to be the Queen, which would make her vulnerable to whichever supernatural powers allow Kvothe to seduce every woman he happens across.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

With all of the Gentleman Bastard talk, maybe we should re-title this the "Goony Wisconsin Fantasy Author Thread." Anyway, here's Lynch's Bondsmagi explanation from his FAQ:

Scott Lynch posted:

If the Bondsmagi are so all-powerful, why don't they rule the world?
Well, who says they don't? As if they'd be open about it.
I've gotten this one in an accusatory tone several times, as though overtly ruling the world is the only possible thing the magi could want to do with their time. I'm being a bad little author by expounding on this, especially since many things about the magi will be made quite clear in The Republic of Thieves, but consider-- if they don't rule the world, what might be holding them back? Is their power perhaps not as omnipotent as they'd have others believe? Or do they suffer from internal strife concerning the destiny of their organization?

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

To be fair, the Felurian thing didn't really focus on the sex beyond Kvothe's... uh... entrance to the Fae and the "lessons." The whole thing probably just seemed longer because it was written awkwardly, which I don't necessarily mind at times, as a 16-year old boy probably would randomly start staring at a girlprimal lust goddess's boobs while she's trying to have a serious discussion with him. A lot of the scenes in the Fae do devolve into sex (or have some of it going on in the background), but most of them add elements to the plot in the meantime.

Fae spoilers: Immediately before she starts teaching him goofy sex moves, they have a name-off in which his sleeping mind awakens and he uses her true name. He implausibly manipulates her into letting him go. He uses her odd behavior to draw contrast between humans and Fae creatures, and adds some world building elements to emphasize the strangeness of the Fae. They spend (what seemed like) way too much time making him a magic shadow cloak (more Kvothe-legend stuff). They have a discussion about what's going on with the moon (which will almost certainly tie into the narrative later). He wanders off and gets mind-raped by a smug tree monster. That's pretty much it. The real problem with the Fae scenes isn't the quantity of sex, but the way it's written and incorporated into the narrative. I'd actually be a little surprised if he did get kidnapped by a sex faerie and they didn't mention the sex after the first few pages (although that doesn't necessarily justify the sex faerie's existence in the first place).

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

I wonder if someone asked Rothfuss if he was cutting back on writing book 3 to be a "creative consultant" on these movies/miniseries/video games if he would get very offended and lay down a rant about how his readers don't own him.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

Of course he would be right that he's under no obligation to his fans to write his book series. At the same time, I think it's pretty funny when a writer's popularity explodes, they cut back on writing to attend conventions and publicity events, and then they become very defensive and self-conscious when people ask how the next book's going.

It's kind of like a paradox. He's popular mostly because he's a writer but he can't write very much because he's popular.

Donkey fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 2, 2015

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

I can't really blame him if he's not writing because he wants to spend time with his newborn-ish children or indulge in his newfound fame. Not a lot of people have opportunities like he has now, so it makes sense that he'd want to take advantage of them while they're still available. I certainly prefer that theory over the theory that he's not writing because he can't figure out a satisfying way to end his trilogy because he's a terrible hack (the theory most people in this thread seem to ascribe to).

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

Seconding Gladstone recommendation, his stuff is amazing. Also, his books are mostly standalone with one exception - Full Fathom Five more or less requires knowledge of Three Parts Dead and Two Serpents Rise. It's honestly best to read them in the publication order.

Part of me thinks that reading Last First Snow before Two Serpents Rise would be a good idea, but it seems like either order would have some benefits. In any case, I'm thirding the Gladstone recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, you probably won't appreciate Last First Snow without knowing what's going to become of those characters.

The big reason I was leaning towards reading Last First Snow before Two Serpents Rise was that I though it lost a bunch of tension since I already knew the fate of almost all of the characters (in the same way that I can kinda extrapolate what happens to Kvothe based on his condition in the framing story). For all I know, there might be other problems with reading it in chronological order, though. Either way, I agree about reading Three Parts Dead first and Full Fathom Five last.

• Locked thread