Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Bizob posted:

I thought the whole point of the epiloge, with Bast basically threatening to murder Chronicler, was that Bast doesn't care if the story is "true" or not (and actually prefers the story to be less than true in certain respects), but that Bast wants Kvothe to tell a story that makes Kvothe feel better about himself so that he'll stop being a whiny puss and get back to being an awesome magician.

That's the impression I got, as well. I also thought that chapter was pretty awesome and it was a nice end to the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

BananaNutkins posted:

American Gods by Neil Gaiman[/b]

Wrong thread to ask this, but what's the deal with this book? I read the first 150 pages (which is 100 pages more than my normal "get me interested or get the gently caress out" threshold) and thought it was boring and going nowhere.

Seconding the "Way of Kings" recommendation, though.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Am I wrong for liking these books and not caring if the author comes off as a bit creepy?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Calico Noose posted:

That was poorly phrased on my part, i agree that Ambrose is probably going to be the king that Kvothe kills, i was disagreeing with Raposa's hypothesis that Ambrose is Denna's patron, that part doesn't work at all. Although it is possible that the Ambrose succession thing is a red herring, it's worth noting that Kvothes sword in legend is called Poet Killer and they've mentioned that Ambrose writes a lot of poetry.

I finished reading that ridiculously in-depth Rothfuss re-read/analysis series earlier today, and one of the more outlandish theories that I really liked was that the king in question isn't Ambrose, or the Maer, but Simmon. It's not entirely out of the question, he is nobility and somewhere in the line of succession, it's just unlikely.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Danhenge posted:

Ultimately if you have to have every detail explained to you then I suppose Malazan is not for you. I'd argue that, in fact, what makes Malazan better written than most fantasy is that it treats you like an adult as opposed to a child that has to be spoon fed every last detail.

I read the first book all the way through, had no loving idea what I had just read, and put the series down. Then, a few years later, I went back and thought "well, maybe it will make sense the second time through!", and read it again. Nope. I thought at that point, "this series comes so well recommended by so many people, it must be me. Maybe if I read the second book, it'll start to make sense!", so I did. At the end of the second book, I had no loving clue what happened in either book, so I gave up.

I don't mind not having every single detail explained to me in a big expository infodump, but I do mind having nothing explained to me at all and leaving me to try to untangle a bunch of made-up words, locations, races, and historical figures.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

jivjov posted:

Do the arcanum guilders function as a gram?

Yes, that was explicitly mentioned somewhere in the second book.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

SgtScruffy posted:

I'm halfway through the second book, and it seems that most of my criticisms have already been addressed in this thread. When he Gets out of the university and goes to assist the Maer, it was a super big breath of fresh air, because up until then, the plot of the entire series was:

1) Oh no, the new term is about to start and I don't have any money! And my tuition is going to be higher than ever!
2) That Ambrose sure is a jerk!
3) WHERE'S MY LUTE?!
4) Phew! I suddenly came into good fortune which is just enough to pay my tuition!
5) That Ambrose sure is a jerk!
6) MY LUTE'S GONE AGAIN!

And repeat.

You forgot "Obsess over Denna".

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

NightRift posted:

There was a mention somewhere of a writing contest between Martin, Sanderson, and Rothfuss. something about Sanderson and Rothfuss alternating chapters and Martin writing an ending. Of course that means all the characters will die in the end.

Is the joke here that GRRM would actually finish something?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Krakkles posted:

Published author "does (two) typo(s)". It's funny, sorry you can't see that.

Because authors never make typos or post on Facebook from mobile devices?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

the JJ posted:

Yeah, I had the same reaction to the first Abercrombie. I mean, it ends with "and now we have assembled our party and shall venture forth." Like seriously, there's the GM's wizard dude, the barbarian, the inevitable knife chick with a history of sexual violence from the guy who is trying too hard, generic fighter because someone couldn't be arsed to create a more interesting character, and that friend who dropped in last minute with a sheet from a totally different campaign. It really felt like a DnD party getting together. I'm told the next books do better and I trust goons so it's still on my list but it didn't grab me and make it a priority.

The second and third book do a fantastic job of twisting and subverting all of those tropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Martello posted:

By "reminded me of" you meant "is obviously ripped off from," right?

And the Aiel are obviously ripped off of the Fremen from Dune.

• Locked thread