Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Jack the Lad posted:

I also kinda think Denna might be the moon. The moving around and disappearing lines up with the story about the moon having to go back and forth, and the constantly changing her name thing might be because her real name is locked up in the Lackless Box.

The whole series has been building up to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vr9xPqGD8o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

jivjov posted:

Not everyone writes at the same speed, and to paraphrase Neil Gaiman, authors don't exist solely to funnel you the content you want at the rate you want it. If someone wants to take 7 years to write a novel, let them. It's their book, not yours.

Fans don't exist solely to lavish endlessly praise on authors. If someone wants to call a previously productive author slow, let them. It's their opinion and they're entitled to it.

Seriously though, while I would love it if every author had the demonic work ethic of Sanderson, quality is more important than quantity. The last 3 books in the Dark Tower series pretty clearly showed what can happen if a series' conclusion is rushed.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Hand Row posted:

I didn't realize both he and Scott Lynch live in western Wisconsin. Add in the Bon Iver dude and you got some weird poo poo going on up there. And neckbeards.

Neil Gaiman lives in Menominee too. Something about Rural loving Wisconsin must put you in the proper frame of mind to write fantasy. I'd guess it's the long winters and binge drinking.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

CaptCommy posted:

Also really, really horrible with women. Specifically Denna. He's pretty much a huge, jealous prick and incredibly self-centered in their relationship. Dude has a lot of flaws.

Denna and Kvothe really is the perfect "nice guy" relationship. He buys her stuff and acts like a true friend to her, but she won't sleep with him! In fact she keeps going back to abusive relationships. Kvothe, fantasy Men's Rights Activist.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

SgtScruffy posted:

Poop.

Are there any generally accepted theories as to what are behind the mysterious doors in The Archives? It sounds like the working title of the third book is something involving them, but are there any theories? Maybe that's where they keep any written record of the Chandarian?

http://kkc.wikia.com/wiki/Iax

Felurian mentions the guy who stole the moon was locked behind doors of stone. My guess is those doors are the doors in the Archives, and Kvothe through wacky adventures will accidently set him free.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Kvothe was friendzoned from day one. I eagerly anticipate him founding a group of Men's Rights Activists/Pick Up Artists next book.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

If the scam is really nothing more than [Bursar and Kvothe steal money from the Maer, neither the Maer or the University check the math], then why do the song and dance routine? Even if Kvothe's tuition was low, the Bursar could still inflate the fake bill to whatever he wanted and pocket the difference from the Maer.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

So Kvothe's tuition is basically a Milo Minderbinder business plan.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Rothfuss you are a loving weirdo.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Maybe we can help Pat out by giving him endings:

Kvothe doesn't have enough money to afford enough fancy clothes and art supplies at wizard college. He gets in another fight with the one teacher that is a sexist pig and scores a sick burn on him, but gets expelled from the school in the process. He does something badass and lays down a great quip, then pops a wheelie and leaves the school in his dust. He feels bittersweet about this because some of the girls at wizard college were loving him.

Kvothe has sex with lots of women who compliment him on how good he is at having sex. He also learns a new anime attack from a group of noble savages who have sex with him. He is sad however because Denna still will not have sex with him. Denna is now in a hosed up abusive relationship with Ambrose for some reason, also Ambrose is now king for some reason. Kvothe definitely watches them bang at some point. Denna refuses to leave Ambrose and Kvothe carries a printer for her across the entire poorly defined fantasy realm.

Kvothe plays the most beautiful song ever about his weirdo crush on Denna, and Denna finally agrees to have sex with Kvothe. But Tragedy! Ambrose kills Denna and then Kvothe kills Ambrose, and Kvothe is sad about this turn of events and can't magic properly anymore. The Chandrian just sort of wander through the background in one scene and express no interest in Kvothe.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Lynch finally escaped Wisconsin and its soul crushing winters?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Benson Cunningham posted:

Man I liked The Magicians. Books are allowed to be depressing. Protags are allowed to be lovely and self centered. Quentin is a continuous fuckup who can't get over his own hangups, so it doesn't matter if magic is real or not, he's still going to be unhappy. For a book filled with possibilities for dues ex machinas (in some cases literally), they resort to using them to advance the plot infrequently (and when they do, there are significant consequences). I also liked the way it played with genre tropes, and how bumble gently caress the main characters are when they finally get to Fillroy. Like a bunch of 20 year olds are going to have any idea what to do in a magic, separate universe without loving everything up.

That said, "this book is depressing" is a fair critique if you're reading solely for escapism. The series is more often maudlin than it is blithe.

The book had some interesting threads but it felt like it was too determined to beat you to death with its message. Yeah, human beings in general are miserable self-destructive shits and having access to "magic" probably wouldn't make us any less so. Deconstructing the settings and flaws inherent in the illogical worlds of Potter and Narnia, silly fantasy books literally designed for the amusement of children, just didn't strike me as particularly clever. Also everyone and their cat seems to be piling on the "what if whimsical fantasy settings were actually more realistic and adult?" bandwagon nowadays. and CS Lewis is now a pedophile who stole his stories from the kid he was molesting. edgy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Well it sounds bad, but how's the prose?

It was well written. The main problem is the story. For about half the book it actually has a plot pushing things along (standard listless smart boy goes to wizard school and experiences interesting things, scary things, and makes friends), but then it gets obsessed with beating its readers over the head with its theme. Almost every chapter in the later half will have the main character have an internal monologue about how magic isn't making him happy, have one of his friends imply magic doesn't make them happy, have a mentor/friend straight up tell the protagonist that magic won't make them happy, or relay a story about a third party who experienced tragedy in their life related to magic.

• Locked thread