Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
I remember reading half of this book when it came out due to the suggestion of a friend. If you like the fantasy genre you'll probably like it.

I think someone mentioned earlier how similar some of the concepts are to A Wizard of Earthsea, which is an absolutely beautiful book and much more intelligent and engaging than this book was. This guy really did lift whole concepts wholesale from Earthsea and it is kind of grating.
So if you are in doubt as to whether you will like this, don't read it and read Le Guin instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
The movie was pretty pathetic; spitting in the face of the author's blatant attempt to create non-white characters for kids to identify with.

Just stating my opinion about the book, not trying to attack people for liking it.
The main character seems like your typical socially inept creeper. Interesting way to go and I suppose people like that need heroes too. I guess it kinda works in tying in with the main character being raped in the streets as a child. I suppose someone like that would be skittish with intimacy.

• Locked thread