Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So we're all in agreement that Kvothe changed his real name and thats why he sucks at magic and everything now right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Boing posted:

I haven't read The Slow Regard, but I found myself getting frustrated with Rothfuss and his obsessive over-description of every single thing that happens in a scene, every word spoken and every action made, which is made all the more ludicrous by it nominally being a framing story told from person to person. He seems to have a stubborn reluctance to zoom out and describe anything at a larger scale. There's a scene in the first book where Kvothe haggles with a horse dealer to buy a horse and it could easily have been a sentence or two about how he bought a horse and rode to Treybin. I really wanted him to work on his pace and know when to leave the little details alone, but then I realised that if he did that there would be nothing left of the book. His writing is almost entirely comprised of minutiae. So it sounds like he's going totally the wrong way.

Thats not fair. Remember, he skipped over a trial that launched Kvothe into modern myth, a pirate attack at sea, surviving a ship wreck, etc.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Benson Cunningham posted:

Dear Pat,

Please write a really dark and depressing book about the rise of the Chandrian. Don't even finish the Kingkiller series. Hopefully Kvothe turns out to be an amusing footnote in the list of people the Chandrian just straight murder.

Thanks,
Benson Cunningham

P.S. If you want to write a whole book about the Cthaeh that would be really cool too. It is the single neatest idea you've had to date.

We're about 2000 pages into a story about a boys search for the truth behind the Chandrian who murdered his parents and we have had maybe 5 pages of Chandrian talk total. Its amazing how little story has been told in two gigantic books.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And the most interesting character of the series was scared to death that Kvothe spoke to it. I'm hoping that the entire next book is nothing but interesting story telling, but a large part of me knows it's gonna begin with Kvothe getting thrown out of school and then 800 pages of his money struggles/playing a lute.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So did anyone else read the Bast short story? I really enjoyed it. Seeing him sort things out his own way and internalize how he is changing being in the human realm was pretty cool. Not to mention the little bit of Kvothe we got where he actually is treating him like a student.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kvothe and Denna are far and away the least interesting characters in the books. A tree that had one paragraph is more interesting than two characters that have had several hundreds of pages dedicated to them. Hell, even Kote is more interesting than Kvothe.

\/\/agreed\/\/

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 19, 2014

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I took her conversation with the young girl to be about maintaining all the control in the grist and determining for yourself who to sleep with and for much more money in the long run than just being a straight up prostitute.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dienes posted:

I have a feeling both of these refer to killing the same guy. A Poet-King, if you will.

It's gonna be Sim. He writes poetry and is royalty. It would just be too convenient for it to be Ambrose.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

WastedJoker posted:

I had wondered if Kingkiller was going to tie in with avenging his family's death but I'm starting to think that Rothfuss will catch us up to present day, Bast will kick Kvothe out of his emo status and then we pick up the tale of Kvothe's final journey of justice.

I'd be fine with that so long as he finishes it. Then I could tell people to skip the first three books and just read the last three or whatever. Or just give them a summary like, "Kvothe's parents die, then he's homeless and gets really good at the lute, then he meets a girl and joins wizard school, then he fights bandits and gets a king married, and then he gets thrown out of wizard school and gets all his friends and the girl killed and he killed a king or something. Now the world is messed up. Enjoy the next few books!"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Effigy posted:

I figure next book is gonna have one of the Adem show up at the tavern with a baby with red hair. Drama!

"Kvothe, you are NOT the father!"
*Adem woman hand gestures wildly

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Not to mention all the girls he dates once he's back at school.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Does GRRM fall under the keep escalating? Though I guess the only deaths anyone cares about, certain snakes not withstanding, are still people in the original family everyone is rooting for.

He dialed it way down. No one of importance has died since book 3. And one of them even came back to life.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

calandryll posted:

That guy is the real deal because he has the lute. The other one is just a poser.

Maybe it's a spoiler from the next book. There's gonna be 700 pages describing how Kvothe taught himself how to play the guitar to impress Denna, thus solidifying him as the most realistic portrayal of a teenaged boy in literary history.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I agree. Bast's story is pretty great, and really fleshed out his character for me. His thought processes and schemes are fun to follow.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We can cut right to the chase and just discuss how much money Kvothe has at any given time since that's what 70% of the book will inevitably be about.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think we are going to be freed of that disaster since he has achieved some measure of income by the end of book two.

Well, until he gets thrown out of the school. Then fun with funds can start again. Hopefully peppered with musings about Denna. Maybe if there's time left we can get to that whole king killing or Chandrian hunting stuff.....if there's time.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ha, saw a bunch of replies and got excited. Should have known it would be metal music discussion.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He should just write short stories about Rast.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bartlebyshop posted:

There's at least one. I guess he was tired of answering letters about whether the Ring is the H-bomb or not.

He could have solved that by just not answering the letters.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Video games usually have less inventory management than these books.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

As interesting as I find the books I just don't think they'd translate well into a show. But who knows, maybe Cinemax will pick it up and make it like a medieval Banshee.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

esn2500 posted:

Haha well i do like the sexy time, but I can't imagine this as a big complaint of the book.. or is it??

:ninja:

I actually enjoyed the second book more than the first, but like the entire second half drags on. If Rothfuss didn't use incredibly stupid names for absolutely everything I think I would have been able to put up with it more. Sentences like: "I lowered myself into Heart of Stone, then countered Flying Fists with Lily of the Tiger" are used to describe every single thing, from magic, to sex, to fighting.

There's some interesting stuff in there, but it seems to get blown over pretty quickly to more mundane boring garbage. I'd say read a synopsis of it and if it sounds interesting then go ahead and read the whole thing. Honestly, there is nothing surprising at all in the book.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Really he should just write books about Rast. Rast did far more interesting poo poo in one novella than Kvothe did in two massive books.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

For one, Pratchett wrote basically nonstop until that disease took him away from it. Rothfuss is struggling to put out a third book. Like others have said, I'm really hoping the third book is better than the first two, but I'll be just as happy if it is a total garbage heap and he just abandons Kvothe and just writes a bunch of new novels about different characters in the same world. I find it pretty interesting and his writing style might be better if he focuses on interesting things like the tree whose name I forget and the fight in the woods against the Chandrian and bandits.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Guys! Kvothe wants to tell his story the way he sees it! Not like the many interesting and heroic and cool stories that everyone in the world knows and loves! Its better this way.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Slithery D posted:

Goons, show me on this doll where Kvothe touched you.

I took the doll from The Slithery D in one smooth motion using Leaf Turning in Air. Grabbing it firmly I gestured to the spot where Kvothe had touched me. It was a gesture in two parts.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pentyne posted:

Yeah, I don't get Rothfuss's crazy insistence that he's some sort of feminist.

It's so he can write flat uninteresting female characters and not be called out on it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I really like WMF except for the last half of the book. And sort of the first quarter. Vintas was really interesting and I enjoyed the hunt for the bandits. Then he got sex romped for like 500 pages and it fell completely apart and the 3 interesting paragraphs in the entire ordeal are about a future seeing malevolent tree. It could have summed up in like 2 chapters with a time skip. Same with the Adem, the only neat thing with the sex ninjas is the naming process when we find out he has some really bad meaning real name and names his sword something more to what its true name is.

The third book is hopefully gonna start with a bang and just keep sprinting to the finish. He needs to rescue princesses, and fight burrow kings, and kill a king. I wouldn't have any problem reading 1000 pages of book as long as its somewhat interesting, but my eyes would glaze over during the Adem and Felurian(sp?) sections.

SO let's talk about what king he's gonna kill. Most people are thinking its gonna be Ambrose somehow, but I like the idea that it could be Sim. Sim is minor royalty, does poetry, and would be a way better twist than generic bad guy douche.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ulmont posted:

More the latter. This bit (kindle reports it as pages 774 and 777) probably sums it up as well as anything:

So his ninja teacher is also boning him regularly.

Yup, then he starts boning the hotter, smaller, deadlier ninja girl once his training is drawing to a close. Also, if they get pregnant thats not the guys fault in their culture. Also, they don't like music, but he changes at least one of their minds because he's so good at it. Also, their leader respects him for his cleverness. Also, he passes one of their hardest tests and says the most cleverest answer to their final test question because he's awesome. All but one of them love him being around and respect him. Kvothe rules the sex ninjas in everything but combat.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I think that's a deliberate hint that they used to be the same group a long time ago. In addition to the "Ademre=Edemaruh" thing, the story that lists the chandrian's true names and signs mentions that the Adem used to be nomads.

For some reason I just read the Slow Regard of Silent Things for the first time, and I'm angry. First, because the whole thing is worthless bullshit. But more importantly, because one of the sections says that:

1. Auri was raped.
2. Auri being raped, not studying naming, is what made her a snowflake broke her
3. Auri being raped is Right because she should be broken.
4. It's Auri's fault she was raped because she was too careless.

What The gently caress

I haven't read it, but could it just be her rationalizing everything to herself? I had a friend that sort of did that until she got some therapy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

True, but he still hosed a sex goddess better than she has been hosed before and hosed sex ninjas while learning their fighting skills. And also got patroned by a king-ish dude, got his schooling paid for by said king, found a way to make extra money off his king patron, and literally call lightning from the sky to smite an Chandrian. Where as in the first book he learned to play a lute because he was homeless and had nothing better to do, cheated on his exams to get into Hogwarts, stumbled rear end backwards into naming, and just barely beat a big drug addicted lizard with sympathy.

It just seems like first book him was lucky and second book him was getting almost omnipotent. I can only imagine that in book 3 he will be literally flying, shooting laser beams out of his eyes, and maybe, just maybe, finally rescue that damned princess from the barrow king damnit!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well stated.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Torrannor posted:

Why is Avshalom in this thread, has somebody mentioned Ariel Sharon?

So like George Martin?

Do we have a release date for the third book? At least there will be a new Sanderson book next month, but it would be nice to finally finish Kvote's story.

I doubt we'll get a conclusion to Kvothe's story even when the third book comes out.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

More Bast is just fine by me. That short story of his may be the most interesting story that has come out of all the Kingkiller Chronicles to date. Then again, Kote making cider is more interesting than Kvothe learning to love and how to sword things.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Not in a world where Denna is still alive. Kvothe has told us over and over again about how awesome and special she is compared to him. So when do you think Kvothe is going to rename himself? I'd say its gonna be right after he accidentally kills/causes Denna's death.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

You're forgetting VIDEO GAMES.

I'm not. Finally a medium that has the ability to fully capture the inventory management I got to read about over several thousand pages!

edit:
*press X to check money

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I liked the Bast story though. So he does have good writing in him. Maybe he's burned out on the Kvothe thing and we can just look forward to several books about the Fae and Bast's Zany Adventures of Murder and Romance.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's like if I tell you I'm taking you to Disney World for your birthday, and then I give you socks. If I just gave you socks, that's one thing. But, I unfairly planted the seeds of something much better in your mind.

To be fair, he already sort of did this to us with WMF.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Its like he googled "How to look like a fantasy writer" and just ran with it. Isn't he in his early 40's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

He used a Monkey's Paw to wish he could be like GRRM. He got both the fame and the looks, apparently.

And the inability to publish a book in any reasonable amount of time! HEEEEYYYYYOOOOOHHHH!!!!

• Locked thread