Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dismiss
Oct 17, 2004

Benson Cunningham posted:

When he talks about the machinery beneath the University, I have this fear that we're going to find out that the current world is built on the ruins of a high tech world! Woooo, never heard that story before!

I saw Pat speak and do a reading of his other book, The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle, last summer. He also gave us a very early sneak preview of Wise Man's Fear.

One of the questions that came up had to do with how he develops his characters and whether they're based on people he actually knows. I always liked Auri in the first book, and I guess she is very roughly inspired by a guy named Tunnel Bob from Madison, WI who practically lives in the steam tunnels under the university. So, I think all the stuff under the university in the book has more to do with Pat's interest in the idea of someone living and exploring a cool underground place rather than being a major plot point.

My copy of Wise Man's Fear arrived today. I'm only 50 pages in, but so far I'm really enjoying it. When I read the first book I was really turned off at first by Kvothe seeming like such a perfect and amazing hero (the whole "You may have heard of me" thing especially). So far, nothing like that in the second book, and it gets right back into the main story right away, which is nice. I did enjoy the part where Kvothe tried to convince the young kid not to join the army but just got laughed at. It seems like a good response to all the exaggerated lore surrounding Kvothe, here he is just pretty much a regular guy, or at least fooling everyone into thinking so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread