Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robotnik
Dec 3, 2004
STUPID
DICK
I read The Name of the Wind, and will quite likely read the sequel, but I have to parrot the frequent indictment of the main character in this book. His plight and personal man-against-society struggle is wholly uninteresting precisely because never once does he actually come across as in any kind of real danger. He's just so unstoppably smug and brilliant that things will work out in the end, because even the heartless loan shark is just utterly charmed with his feckless self.

There are definitely redeeming qualities about the book. The one that strikes me the most is how it departs from the typical fantasy trope of intense exposition that explains to you the entire arc the plot will follow. I think a lot of authors build their worlds in an analogous fashion to describing a man standing on the edge of a cliff, so that you know he's going to fall. I'm not sure what's going to happen in Kvothe's world, and the curious fantasy addict in me wants to know.

But, again, I don't give a poo poo what actually happens to Kvothe. I'm sure it (his future) will be fortuitous and a total product of his supreme intellect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread