Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

I really enjoyed Name of the Wind, in fact I've read it twice. A lot of people dislike it as the main character is a bit of a 'perfect rear end in a top hat' with a very strange attitude towards women. I like Kvothe myself and am really looking forward to the next book

Oh, and if you're on that website never ever ask Patrick Rothfuss when the next book is out. Just don't OK?

Edit - I'll admit I stopped checking to see what the release date for book 2 is since it has been announced and the pushed back over and over again.

Dr Scoofles fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

The young Kvoth narrative is, however, just a story told by a washed up innkeeper to a captive audience. Chances are he's going to bullshit to make himself sound bad rear end, I would. Just because old Kvoth says it happened doesn't mean we have to beleive him.

Also, I myself can still really enjoy a story even if the baddy isn't an all powerful Voldemort style figure. Ambrose is an irritating little shitbag, and it's fun to read about irritating shitbags getting 'what's coming to them'. (Thats the only reason I read Sharpe novels, to read how some jumped up officer gets kicked in the bum by a scruffbag round about page 300.)

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

mabbott74 posted:

Yes, and yet people forget that it is a biographical of a guy who grew up in a family of actors and performers.

Also, can you enlighten me, perhaps an example or two, on what you mean by the "awful way Kvothe relates to women?"

Also, book 10 of a trilogy? ;p

I can't answer for Liesmith, but for me his relations to women amount to 'Oh devine feminine goddess how I worship three. Your eyes are like stars, your smile is like the stars, your skin is milky white like the stars etc etc... No women can compare to thine mystical beauty, let me worship at the shrine that is your feet.' and so on.

Even readers of Mills and Boon don't have to put up with that schmultz.

Edit - I still like the book, but I can see why it irritates folk.

Dr Scoofles fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 20, 2010

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Just making a start on Wise Mans Fear and 120 pages in I'm losing any enthusiasm to read it. I'm just re-reading the same old poo poo over and over again. Being poor, getting tricked by Ambrose, playing lute, interviews for admission, borrowing money, making lamps etc etc. It's boring the second time round.

I'm glad to hear it picks up after all this, but I'm not the kind of person that will wade through 100, 200, 300(??) pages to get to new content. Kind of annoyed I paid £15 for this book.

• Locked thread