Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Chaglby posted:

When this book first came out, I picked it up off the shelf to read a few pages. Based on the intro, I thought it seemed pretty horrible. Now that I know a bit more about the book from these forums, I will most likely never give it a shot. I have no interest in reading a book that makes me roll my eyes every page.

I understand that the character is telling his own story and making himself out to be a bad rear end superstar at everything, but why is that entertaining? Everyone knew that kid when they were younger, the one that would make poo poo up all the time to sound cool and impress people. Nobody wants to hear that kid's stories, so why do I want to know how this dude saved a princess while rocking out a perfect solo on his lute after killing a dragon with a pen knife. It just doesn't seem like I could get into it at all.

A book with a very well done lying first person narrator is The Book of the New Sun, and it is one of my favorites. So I'm not against the idea. It's just that Kvothe seems like nothing more than a Mary Sue.

Dude, really? "I read a few pages of the intro and decided I hate the entire book. Why do all of you people like a book that I haven't rea?."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

keiran_helcyan posted:

Thought I'd check out Rothfuss' blog to see if he had any info on the upcoming novel and of course the top post was a detailed 3 page argument on the evils of circumcision. He truly is an alpha internet nerd.

Wait, which blog is that? I usually go to http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/ and I'm not seeing anything circumcision related at the moment, just a poo poo load of fundraising stuff.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

King Crab posted:

He's a kid, dude. Kids do stupid things sometimes and then claim that they know everything. That is what happens when you are young.

And he also does do things that demonstrate that he is very talented: earn his pipes on his first try with a broken instrument, gain admission and get the University to pay HIM tuition at an extremely young age, convince the faculty that he shouldn't be bothered to take beginners classes, KILL A DRAGON.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2010/12/worth-waiting-for-patrick-rothfusss-the-wise-mans-fear

Hey, book 2 is actually done and getting reviewed. Weird.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Dramatika posted:

I follow Brandon Sanderson on Facebook, and he just got his ARC of Wise Man's Fear in today. Apparently it weighs in at 1100 pages, 100 pages longer than Way of Kings. Jesus Christ.

Wow, Rothfuss wasn't kidding around about it being longer. Looking forward to getting my copy!

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Eunabomber posted:

Supposedly he has not even turned in a final manuscript, so keep hoping:(

Aww, man, I thought the final had been turned in. drat it.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Ferrosol posted:

Both books are well worth a read though, as long as you do not mind constant flashbacks and a bit of purple prose. And I must say the way they deal with the Bondsmagi at the end of the first book is awesome

"Nice bird, rear end in a top hat."

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
Early reviews of Wise Man's Fear are coming in, and are very positive so far:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-7564-0473-4

quote:

This breathtakingly epic story is heartrending in its intimacy and masterful in its narrative essence, and will leave fans waiting on tenterhooks for the final installment.

http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2011/02/review-the-wise-mans-fear-by-patrick-rothfuss.html

quote:

I have finished The Wise Man’s Fear by Patrick Rothfuss.

The short review: It was everything I hoped it would be.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2010/12/worth-waiting-for-patrick-rothfusss-the-wise-mans-fear

quote:

The Wise Man's Fear was worth waiting for. It's about as good as this kind of fantasy can possibly get.

The only review with more than slightly negative comments (and which was still overall positive) I've seen is from GRRM's bff at Pat's Fantasy Hotlist. http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2011/01/wise-mans-fear.html

quote:

It's also been said that a more sexually active Kvothe was sort of a wish fulfillment thing on Rothfuss' part. It's been compared to that of Guy Gavriel Kay with bearded characters. Keeping that in mind as I read along, I would have to agree on this. For a redhead male, Kvothe sure gets an inordinate amount of action in The Wise Man's Fear. And if you had trouble believing that Archie could have both Betty and Veronica, you may raise an eyebrow on more than one occasion in this second volume. Having said that, it's simply something that will make you smirk from time to time, and it doesn't take anything away from the reading experience.
Oddly enough, what is perhaps the book's most impressive aspect could also be its biggest shortcoming. Rothfuss has an amazing eye for details. His fluid prose and evocative narrative make the story come alive, creating an imagery that never fails to dazzle. And yet, it could be that Rothfuss is too in love with his creation and spends an excessive amount of time describing the minutiae of Kvothe's mundane life instead of focusing on the greater scheme of things. As I mentioned, Rothfuss does it exceedingly well, and it makes the story leap off the page. But overdone, it's simply overkill.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/02/excerpt-the-wise-mans-fear-by-patrick-rothfuss

Tor just spammed me with a link to an excerpt. Enjoy.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Evfedu posted:

It's flawed as all get-out but it's so enjoyable in spite of it. Give it a go, if nothing else the first book is a breeze of a read.

It really depends on what you are looking for. Its more like eating some really good chocolate cake than it is like eating a really well prepared steak.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Benson Cunningham posted:

Also, Bast is a useless loving character. Since he exists in the present day, we are to believe the things he says are exactly what he says. I think I would be sold on Kvothe as an unreliable narrator if Bast, at least once, was like, "You told that story differently like two weeks ago man."

I thought the whole point of the epiloge, with Bast basically threatening to murder Chronicler, was that Bast doesn't care if the story is "true" or not (and actually prefers the story to be less than true in certain respects), but that Bast wants Kvothe to tell a story that makes Kvothe feel better about himself so that he'll stop being a whiny puss and get back to being an awesome magician.

Also re: Denna I wouldn't be super suprised if it turns out she was Speculation Spoiler one of the Chandrian or at least an agent of the Chandrian.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
Another very positive review here although I have no idea if this is a credible source.

quote:

In The Wise Man’s Fear, Kvothe—musician, magician, thief and more—continues to tell the story of his quest to learn more about a group of beings known as the Chandrian (or the Seven) who slaughtered his family when he was still a child. With his second book, Rothfuss proves that his initial success was no fluke. Though in itself longer than many trilogies, The Wise Man’s Fear carries the reader along just as swiftly as its predecessor.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
Got my shipping notice last night, very pumped.

e: drat it, my book is in Hodgkins Illinois. No way it gets to my house in Milwaukee before tomorrow. :(

Bizob fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 28, 2011

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Grawl posted:

I read the first book when it came out, and since then I haven't really thought about this book until I saw the second part came out. Could someone post the important points in the story of the first book? I'd rather want to start with the second book instead of re-reading the first one.

Here you go:

onefish posted:

Rothfuss put up a summary of Name of the Wind in cartoon form for those who don't want to reread the book before the sequel, but need some kind of memory refresher: http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2011/02/our-story-thus-far/

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
I got through the Felurian section last night. It is way too long and very weird. However if that is the price that must be paid for the oracle tree I think it is balanced out. I'm not "only" concerned with the Chandrian, and the above cited section aside I've enjoyed the writing, so I'm enjoying seeing more about how the world works. All in all I'm also liking that Kvothe is shown loving things up because he is such an overpowered rear end in a top hat who doesn't think through the consequences of his actions.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
I finished it last night. I quite liked it, Felurian aside. I feel like it expanded the world and the consequences of Kvothe's actions to the point where he isn't just fighting Ambrose and getting whipped but is killing dozens of dudes, having a profound impact on politics, actively encouraging the spread of his own legend although there didn't seem to be a particular narrative arc, and the story just kind of winds down at the end.

All that said I understand alot of the problems that folks have with Rothfuss' writing style, themes and overall approach to sex. I think the way he approaches some of these things and the "bitter-sweet" tone of the book is attributable to the scope of the influence that Whedonism is having on, for lack of a better word, nerd culture. That can be a good thing, but it can also be a gigglesquee-OMNOMNOM-bad thing. (see the Dragon Age 2 thread in games for more evidence).

Rothfuss loves Whedon, and it shows, but Whedon's own work has some weird themes when it comes to love and sex. Buffy turns her true love into a soulless monster by sleeping with him. One of the main characters in later seasons was a demon whose whole schtick was punishing unfaithful lovers. Not sure how spergy that is of me to know, but there it is.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Lyon posted:

Also, I think Kvothe changed his name or someone else did, Elodin freaks out when he suggests it. Kvothe probably trusted someone (Denna) with his true name and got burned, hard. His name was changed and thus he was changed, stripping him of his power. Or he changed his own name when Denna died without really knowing it. Bast is trying to help him reclaim his true name/destiny/power/etc.
I want to know what's in all the secret boxes.

I think you are on to something. Not only do we know from the last book that he has trouble doing sympathy now, right after he finishes a huge section describing his training and skills as a hand-to-hand fighter, he gets his rear end handed to him by 1 random soldier. Plus, very early in the book, he can't figure out what to call the apple pulp, whereas one of his inherent abilities seems to have been unconciously knowing the true name for things. Somebody figured out his true name and used it against him.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Lyon posted:

I'm not disagreeing with that, I think he caused some major damage to his friends, Denna, the world, or something and may have changed his name without realizing it or as a punishment someone changed his name on him. His inability to perform magic well, fight, etc leads me to believe his name was changed. I'll take wild guesses at how/why but I'm sticking with his true name was changed somehow which has caused him to lose a lot of his power. I think he'll regain it in the next book, I bet we're a lot closer to the story than we're supposed to think and half of the book will be the past, and the rest will be the present.

I wouldn't be suprised if at least some portion of the next book goes from being the autobiography of Kvothe to Chronicler's historical account of events that he witnesses going forward.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

hot pants posted:

This ain't being spoilered, but Manet is the biggest self-insertion character ever.

Haha, you are absolutely right.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Tsvi posted:

Just finished this morning.

Overall, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

While I can see how many people can comment on the sex scenes, I wasn't really bothered. Having read Song of Ice and Fire and Sword of Truth, I can't really say there's much wrong with these for the genre. They weren't overly gratuitous. Its pretty standard to have character's in the genre moon over another character, or bang random harlots.

That said, I was surprised where it left off. From what he said at the beginning of the first book, the overall life accomplishments... the time-line of the character, I just thought it'd be more progressed.

If the innkeeper is 30ish (how I thought of him, and I think he was described), and he's 17 at the end of the book 2, been in the inn for a few years... will book three cover almost 10 years, that's roughly the duration of book 1 and 2. Will we also see any progression once the story is over...or will he just finish the telling his story and the series ends?

I'm pretty sure that by the end of WMF, Kvothe is a bit older than 17. Isn't there some section about how time passes differently in Fae? He spent a few months there, which probably aged him quite a bit.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
A really long dual interview / conversation between Rothfuss and author-bot Brandon Sanderson can be found here featuring this quote about Book 3:

Pat Rothfuss posted:

Here's the deal:

In some ways, I do already have the trilogy written. I wrote all of Kvothe's story all the way to the end back in 2000.

So yeah. In some ways, the whole trilogy is finished.

But really it depends on what you mean by "Finished."

Back in 2000, I thought the story was pretty much done. I thought it was awesome. I thought it was ready to be published.

Since then, I've learned a lot about writing. A lot. When I recently re-read the third book, I could see huge glaring mistakes that weren't obvious to me before. That's a good thing.

The other problem is that the first two books of the series have changed considerably since 2000. I've added characters and plotlines. I've probably added, 250,000 words worth of new material since then. Back in 2000, Devi wasn't in the book. Neither was Auri. Neither was the Draccus.

That's part of what took me so long with book two. I didn't just have to write a sequel. That's would have been hard enough. I had to take a book I'd already written, and re-write it so that it matched up with all the changes I'd made to book one.

I think doing that is harder than starting from scratch. Re-writing the beginning section of The Wise Man's Fear was really, really hard. But adding a 60,000 word subplot later in the book was really easy, because I wasn't revising it, I was creating it all fresh.

Book three is going to take a couple years because now I have to integrate all the changes from TWO books when I'm re-writing. Luckily, now I have a better idea how to do that. I'm a much better writer than I was two years ago, and I'm actually looking forward to digging in and starting on the project.

Lots of interesting stuff from both writers.

Bizob fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 17, 2011

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

onefish posted:

Not to completely derail the making-fun-of-Rothuss train, but there's a really cool speculation post up at Tor.com from Jo Walton, rounding up analysis and deductions from several sources. Lots of spoilers, obviously.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/03/sleeping-under-the-wagon-more-spoilers-for-patrick-rothfusss-the-wise-mans-fear

Holy poo poo, there is alot of very interesting stuff in there. Particularly the very simple interpretation of the lovely song Kvothe's dad wrote. So simple.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

The Gunslinger posted:

I think I'm getting off the train at this stop unfortunately. I finished the book and while I love his prose the story doesn't seem to be going anywhere. By the end of book 2 in a trilogy with these kinds of page counts I would expect to have some proper idea where we're headed. Despite his claims to the contrary this doesn't seem to be planned out in the slightest, WMF felt like he just threw everything at the wall to see what would stick. It's a shame because I love his style of writing but the seemingly directionless story is putting me to sleep.

Says the poster with a Dark Tower avatar. (I kid, I kid)

I can see where you are coming from, I just think this wasn't intended as an "epic" in the sense that most fantasy series are.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

The loose ends of the frame story don't necessarily have to get resolved in the space of the third book, and if he had to rush it, I'd honestly rather he just finish Kvothe's character arc. If he wants to continue the present-day story then he should write another series.

I think the Kvothe character arc is all he ever intended to finish, and I doubt he will confront / kill the Chandrian. He might learn about them, but I wouldn't be shocked if they hand him his rear end and the moral of the story ends up being "even insanely gifted and intellegent savants are no match for 5000 year old creatures of legend and unfathomable power."

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Grawl posted:

at what point did Kvothe become a hostile bastard who liked to murder people? You'd think he just learned to control his inner anger with all the experience he gained.

I think that had less to do with his inner anger than it did with those particular people and what they were doing.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Sophia posted:

In Rothfuss' books, the women that are not seen as "special" are given agency and intelligence and non-devastating flaws just like any other ancillary character. The problem comes into a true love interest character like Denna who is treated most disgustingly by both author and character. This is exacerbated by the fact that in society right now, hating women is not considered acceptable but idealizing them still is, and that goons are among the worst offenders of this "acceptable" misogyny which is maybe why it gets so much discussion around here.

The only thing I really disagree with in your post is the argument that Denna is portrayed as flawless. I think Kvothe sees her that way, but the way she acts in the novels is generally TERRIBLE. She basically uses a series of dudes, is a practiced liar, and has some kind of horrible secret in her past.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Ornamented Death posted:

You know what? No. It's not that unbelievable. Look at how advanced America is, and then look at some of the batshit crazy things people still believe. Rothfuss makes a lot of dumb mistakes in his writing, but having an "advanced" civilization have some silly, backwards beliefs is not one of them. He's just writing from his own experiences.

Keep in mind that he lives in rural Wisconsin.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Ornamented Death posted:

Which only really strengthens my point :v:.

Yeah, exactly. :(

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Ornamented Death posted:

I think this has been the plan all along, honestly. The frame story is about a historian searching for the truth behind the legend of Kvothe and finding it. Once Kvothe finishes telling that story, the Kingkiller Trilogy itself is essentially over and ready to move on to the Kvothe Saves the World trilogy or whatever.

Basically Rothfuss is never going to stop writing about Kvothe and that is tragic because he's talented but will never really accomplish anything if he can't move past his mary-sue character.

He'll probably accomplish making a boatload of money, and given his apparent focus on the importance of making money my guess is he'll be ok with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Hughlander posted:

Given he's teaching english at a state school with less than 10k students, I'd say his focus is not making money. Otherwise he'd be writing full time. Steven King in the 80s was focused on making money, compare the output of the two.

Stephen King was on a TON of coke during the 80s, which at least partially explains is output then.

• Locked thread