Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I enjoyed Name of the Wind, but I find that the frame narrative saps a lot of the tension out of the story. We already know that Kvothe becomes a supremely powerful and famous dude, so a lot of the "formative years" stuff really fell flat for me, especially when he's able to solve his problems so easily. The parts up until the troupe was massacred were really great, but I found myself caring very little for a lot of the parts where he's just wandering around in the wilderness. I found the whole "dragon" bit pretty silly too.

All that being said, this series has a ton of potential. Rothfuss could do a lot of interesting things with the frame narrative to mix things up, and I really, really hope he does so. My guess is that our opinion of Kvothe is going to change a lot as the series progresses.

Personally, I can't wait until he finds out more about the song his dad was writing about Lanre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Megasabin posted:

Now that this is over I find myself wanting more. I've read GRRM and attempted to read Jordan (ugh), but haven't touched Abercrombie, Erickson, or Sanderson's stuff yet. I'm not sure which one to go to next. Are there any other awesome series I should be aware of?

Read Gene Wolfe's Book Of The New Sun. In fact, that goes for everyone reading this thread. Wolfe does the world-building/unreliable narrator thing better than anyone (yes, even Erikson).

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Sequitur posted:

I spent literally all of today reading Name of the Wind, I find myself reading slowing because I almost don't want to finish my story. I'm looking forward to reading Wise Man,
however what will be next? Can I get any good recommendations?

Well, if you want to read a fantasy series with an unreliable narrator that's actually good, check out Gene Wolfe's "Book of the New Sun."

• Locked thread