Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism
I got the impression that there was a gradual shift in the perception vs. reality dynamic being purposefully set up as the over-arching mechanic of the trilogy. That is to say, book 1 has Kvothe's legend exaggerating his actual deeds while book 2 has his deeds and legend being accurate representations of each other. I've kind of been expecting the third book to go the next step and have the legend influencing his deeds. Explore the idea that other people's perceptions of him start influencing his life in some magical/intrinsic way or affecting his Name - with a capital N - such that he starts losing control of his agency.

I kind of figured that's what happened to the Chandrian and why they're trying to remove all stories of themselves and have Denna introduce reimagined stories into the population's consciousness. Magical PR so they can modify the nature of themselves.

Kvothe swore on his "name, power and good left hand" that he wouldn't try to discover Denna's patron. Then, in the frame story, he seems to be missing his name, power and function of his left hand. A normal person wouldn't be affected by nonsensically swearing on something. At least, that promise wouldn't be magically enforced by fate or the universe or whatever. But someone who was affected by storybook logic might.

The deep magic of the world is Naming; the fundamental essence of a thing represented and embodied by an unpronounceable word. That primal magic system underneath everything is a mechanism to directly change or control the nature of things. I figure the more people know your Name - or at least understand a part of it - through rumor and legend, the more you would be affected by the public perception of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism
I've read both books more than once and I have to admit I initially assumed Denna was sleeping with all the guys she "dated". It took reading some internet discussion and reviews to see that she was a con-artist.

I think my misconception came from the lack of "proper courting etiquette" that's usually bandied about in medieval-ish fantasy. If women aren't portrayed as chaste, shrinking violets, who will only be seen with a gentleman caller in the company of a proper chaperon, then I automatically apply my modern dating standards to the situation which is basically "3 or more dates equals sex".

• Locked thread