Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
When this book first came out, I picked it up off the shelf to read a few pages. Based on the intro, I thought it seemed pretty horrible. Now that I know a bit more about the book from these forums, I will most likely never give it a shot. I have no interest in reading a book that makes me roll my eyes every page.

I understand that the character is telling his own story and making himself out to be a bad rear end superstar at everything, but why is that entertaining? Everyone knew that kid when they were younger, the one that would make poo poo up all the time to sound cool and impress people. Nobody wants to hear that kid's stories, so why do I want to know how this dude saved a princess while rocking out a perfect solo on his lute after killing a dragon with a pen knife. It just doesn't seem like I could get into it at all.

A book with a very well done lying first person narrator is The Book of the New Sun, and it is one of my favorites. So I'm not against the idea. It's just that Kvothe seems like nothing more than a Mary Sue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice

Bizob posted:

Dude, really? "I read a few pages of the intro and decided I hate the entire book. Why do all of you people like a book that I haven't rea?."

I didn't say I hated the entire book, I just don't really care to read it at this point. My disdain is clearly based on more than the first few pages. Also, I tend to not pick up a series when it is just starting, especially from an unknown author. So far, this seems like a pretty mediocre one to me. The last series I started at the beginning was Lynch's, and look where that has gotten me. I won't read A Song of Ice and Fire for the same reason, even though I'm pretty sure I'd like it. Bottom line is, I've got a long list of books to read and this one is not towards the front.

Anyway, if another book or 2 comes out (I don't know how long the series is planned to be, or if its length is planned at all) and it seems interesting at that point then I'll give it a shot. Why do people get so butthurt when other people don't like something that they do? I'm just putting my 2 cents into the discussion. I sincerely was asking why anyone would read what I feel like is some washed up old guy bragging about his awesomeness in youth for several hundred pages. The other guys that quoted me added to the discussion, you did not.

I was still slightly interested in trying the book at some point even after the intro turned me off until I read the thread a while back in which someone stated the book is much better when you read it in the voice of Zapp Brannigan, which someone mentioned already.

• Locked thread