Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mabbott74
Mar 13, 2006

Chaglby posted:

I didn't say I hated the entire book, I just don't really care to read it at this point. My disdain is clearly based on more than the first few pages. Also, I tend to not pick up a series when it is just starting, especially from an unknown author. So far, this seems like a pretty mediocre one to me. The last series I started at the beginning was Lynch's, and look where that has gotten me. I won't read A Song of Ice and Fire for the same reason, even though I'm pretty sure I'd like it. Bottom line is, I've got a long list of books to read and this one is not towards the front.

Anyway, if another book or 2 comes out (I don't know how long the series is planned to be, or if its length is planned at all) and it seems interesting at that point then I'll give it a shot. Why do people get so butthurt when other people don't like something that they do? I'm just putting my 2 cents into the discussion. I sincerely was asking why anyone would read what I feel like is some washed up old guy bragging about his awesomeness in youth for several hundred pages. The other guys that quoted me added to the discussion, you did not.

I was still slightly interested in trying the book at some point even after the intro turned me off until I read the thread a while back in which someone stated the book is much better when you read it in the voice of Zapp Brannigan, which someone mentioned already.

Obviously people have a problem with you hating the book without even reading it. If you can't figure that out, then your opinion should be ignored.

You remind me of a friend of mine who hates things just because they are popular and other people rave about it.

About the book. After reading the book I had to go back and confirm that this is Pat's first novel. I have read a quite a few author-first novels and this one is several steps above those. His grasp of the English language astounds me as I found myself using the kindle dictionary quite often.

I don't know why people have a problem with Kvothe being so good at everything. He is known by many and there is a reason why. You don't get famous by being an idiot who is mediocre at best in 3 or 4 things. I mean, who wants to read a book about some guy who struggles through life never amounting to anything? If there were a huge audience for that kind of thing, then I would write and autobiography and make millions. Seems some people can't just read a book and enjoy it for being a work of fiction that has no relevance to real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabbott74
Mar 13, 2006

Liesmith posted:

Kvoth isn't good at stuff in a heroic way. He's good at stuff in a mary sue no one can ever be better than me at anything way. His challenges basically amount to other people being jealous because they don't measure up, or other people not recognizing his innate brilliance and virtue. If you can't understand why people have a problem with that then that's on you. Just accept that not everyone loves a smug hero for whom everything is a cakewalk.

It's interesting that you say that you could hardly believe that this was Rothfuss' first novel. For me it was the opposite. I liked the book, and wherever I ran into the major flaws (in particular the awful way Kvothe relates to women) I said to myself "this is a first novel, it's OK that he makes missteps." If this was book 10 of the Kvoth trilogy or whatever I'd be a lot less forgiving.

Yes, and yet people forget that it is a biographical of a guy who grew up in a family of actors and performers.

Also, can you enlighten me, perhaps an example or two, on what you mean by the "awful way Kvothe relates to women?"

Also, book 10 of a trilogy? ;p

mabbott74
Mar 13, 2006

anathenema posted:

I take some issue with this.

All fiction has relevance to real life. Not always a lot, not always clearly, but it's there. In fact, I think the fact that a lot of people are suspecting that Kvothe is actually a depressed burnout who just happens to be a talented liar is proof enough of that. They are relating to the book in a way that's not explicitly direct, thus suggesting it has at least enough relevance to them to look beyond the initial pages.

Which is also what a lot of people are complaining about. They see it as having no relevance to real life. I can't help but agree that Kvothe just sort of gets everything his way with no real problems or conflicts. It'd be one thing if he was good at everything and had to triumph over adversity to get it, but that doesn't really seem to be the case in a lot of the story. It winds up being an awesome guy being awesome with no one trying to stop him except the stupid and ugly. If that were the case, then it would have no relevance, because no one has that problem.

And my issue is that everyone forgets that this is a book that is a biographical. Not only a biographical, but one of a person who was raised by actor/entertainers. Of course the people he hated are going to be represented as stupid and ugly. Of course he is going to be 10x smarter than anyone around him. It's his perspective!

And his obsurd view of women? He is a 15 year old virgin. I know at that age I put women on a pedistal and thought of them as Gods.

mabbott74
Mar 13, 2006

treeboy posted:

im starting to feel like im either stupid or a bad person for really liking his book and eagerly anticipating a sequel :(

Some people just seem that they go into books with the thought "ok, how can I bash this popular book to make myself seem like some iGenius."

You and I read a story and realize that is exactly what it is. Although it seems that a lot of people get character developement mixed up with character arc.

mabbott74
Mar 13, 2006

King Crab posted:

He's a kid, dude. Kids do stupid things sometimes and then claim that they know everything. That is what happens when you are young.

This is my biggest problem with some comments. People seem to forget that it is a story of a 15 year old who has zero experience with women. It is also told in first person by a person who was raised by elite performers; and is, apparently, washed up. It is possible to be a genius but completely naive.

One example that sticks out is when he goes to the archives and the guy at the counter offers him a candle. My first thought was 'why the hell would they allow open flames around stacks of books and scrolls that are one-of-a-kind?' I had thoughts of the Royal Library of Alexandria going up in flames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabbott74
Mar 13, 2006

Penfold the Brave posted:

This was me, and I stand by it - there's one line in particular that I remember laughing so hard on the train that people were looking at me. It was something like:

"Sometimes my mind is so clean and sharp I have to be careful not to cut myself."

I couldn't write a more Branniganesque line if I tried.

Kvothe is an insufferably smug protagonist and I can't believe people are trying to defend him by saying he's an unreliable narrator. He isn't. Old washed up Kvothe learns a complicated form of written language in two minutes flat while the man who invented it sits by astonished. He almost breaks his assistant's arm without realizing it because he's so cool and strong and badass and unaware of his own incredible strength. He isn't narrating these parts! This is a pretty strong indicator that Kvothe is a perfectly reliable narrator - I'm happy to be proven wrong though, so if anyone can provide any evidence of this besides all of the women in his story being beautiful I'd love to hear it.

I was definitely able to see some merit in his writing style, which flowed well and created some good imagery - I liked some of his descriptions and ideas, but Kvothe sucks and Rothfuss definitely came across as a big fat goony goon with some of his themes whether he is aware of it or not - oh look, Kvothe is white knighting a girl in an abusive relationship and now she wants to sleep with him. Oh look, Kvothe is putting a bully in his place. Oh look, Kvothe's daddy is banging on for three pages about how proud he is of his son before dying tragically.

Oh god, that part. That's exactly how I felt as I read it, it was just so loving creepy and the part where he's having his smug inner monologue about how she belongs to him and once her boyfriend is out of the way he'll still be there made my skin crawl. He's the ultimate self-appointed "Nice Guy" McGoonygoon. Maybe it's more obvious to female readers, I don't know.

I honestly do think Rothfuss has a talent for the written word and despite Kvothe I read and enjoyed some aspects of the book, but I really hope he learns some things about character development as he continues the series.

Ah, I see now. Stories aren't allowed to have superheros anymore. Check.

• Locked thread