Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Maxwells Demon posted:

Sweet. Thanks for the clarification.

Also who cares if the author is in love with his own character. The story he writes around him is great, and it reads wonderfully.

God drat I could make it to that book event in the DC area any other day than March 14. gently caress YOU PAT

In other news I am super excited for this book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

neongrey posted:

Speaking as someone who has read Wheel of Time, there are harder concepts to swallow.

I almost stopped reading WoT because of that poo poo. Luckily it's toned down later on in the series, but christ it was creepy.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
300 pages in and so far so good.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

tirinal posted:

On the theme of the above, I'd also like to contribute that published authors, nevermind grown men, shouldn't unironically (or ironically) use the word "nekkid."

Please.

But in terms of the character he was speaking to that is perfectly acceptable.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Sophia posted:

I got the impression that when she was asking them how magic worked at the musical bar that she was up to something nefarious on behalf of her patron. My guess is that that was the direction it was going to go in, but I could be wrong.

She also asked if you could make someone do something by writing something or saying something while she was making patterns in the table. Who knows, could just be purposeful misleading but I was positive it would come up before the end of the book and nothing else was said about it.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Sophia posted:

It will be hand-waved away that, in this world, things are controlled via their true name. Without it, your core is lost. That's my guess.

Yeah, I was also like "hey, pay attention to this, it's going to be important" but then it vanished. Since he doesn't seem the type to write something like that with no purpose, it will probably come back in Book 3.

But it's such a tease! Rothfuss does this poo poo all the time, too. I almost want the series to go beyond a third book because I know the next one will end up being filled with silly poo poo punctuated by awesomeness which justifies the existence of the book.

I was praising the poo poo out of NotW and trying to get friends to read it despite the mary-sue/gooniness of Kvothe but now I'm afraid they will take me up on it and get to the Felurian part :ohdear:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

syrup posted:

I went to the book signing in St. Louis and I thought you guys may be interested in some of the things he said.

Someone asked about the editing process and how much was left on the floor (actually this was asked a couple times). Rothfuss mentioned that one thing he ended up trimming out was some Elodin scenes. Elodin is one of his favorite characters to write, and apparently early versions had so many Elodin scenes it really started to drag.

Secondly, he mentioned that his editor pretty much didn't make him take anything out. He would call her up and say "Wow this book is long" and she would say "Don't worry about it!". Finally, she told him that his hard limit was 420,000 words because that's the longest book ever published and the most that can be bound in a paperback novel. So yeah, his editor basically didn't do anything but make sure his book wasn't longer than the longest book ever written.

He very very adamantly stated that this series will be 3 books and only 3 books. He loves the world and there's a lot in it that he hasn't told us, but he has no desire to make it more than three books. He said he might make a game out of it and he might release an annotated version with more information.

If the books were turned into a movie, he said he'd cast Morena Baccarin as Fela and while he wasn't really sure who he'd do for Kvothe or Denna, he threw out Natalie Portman as a possibility for Denna. He made clear that he has absolutely no intention of trying to turn this into a movie, however.

Overall, Rothfuss was pretty much an awesome guy. He was really funny and well-spoken and the event was a lot of fun. The comments he made about the editing process made it very apparent why some of the weird things that happen in Book 2 end up lasting such a huge period of time since it seems like no one was there to tell Rothfuss he was getting lost in his own fantasies.

I wish he had a stronger editor because Rothfuss is a great writer that makes a very compelling book but man could huge swathes of this book have been pruned out.

I find it hilarious that his only limit was to not be longer than physically possible. I still love the poo poo out of his books despite their flaws. They're fun to read so, like, whatever man.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Chachikoala posted:

I feel like the last book is going to make or break the trilogy. There is a fair amount of action that has to happen to fulfill all the legends and foreshadowing.

Maybe he will get kicked out of the university immediately and go on awesome adventures leading up to the present for about 400 pages and the remaining 600 pages will be [/spoiler]him remember who he is and kicking rear end.[/spoiler]

So I want Kvothe to be the real deal and have an awesome final book with a happy ending. Sue me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
The Chandrian ARE the Amyr!!

:aaaaa:

• Locked thread