Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

treeboy posted:

sometimes it's fun to read something for no other purpose than enjoying the story, regardless of the quality. There was nothing outwardly offensive about his structure and the prose is beautiful, he ranks in my top 5 fantasy authors at the moment (assuming his new works are improvements which they hopefully should be)

I totally understand this argument and empathized with it until i read about 20 pages of the transformers 2 thread in Cinema Discusso and saw it trotted out about five million to defend jive-shuckin' robots with TRUCK BALLSs, and realized it can be used to defend the indefensible. You can make the exact same argument in the Animorphs thread (with the exception of the prose, I guess, although at least those books probably don't refer to every loving shade of red as "hearts blood") In conclusion, "hey dude turn your brain off and just enjoy what was your favorite magic spell Kvothe cast ^__^" is a useless thing to post, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

Barbe Rouge posted:

oh for gently caress's sake
I'll read the book, but I can already see myself skipping the cringe-worthy parts which I'm sure there will be a decent amount of :(

Patrick Rothfuss: correcting "putting women on a pedestal" fantasy clichés by moving to "slayin' bitches across the universe" fantasy clichés.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

Oh Snapple! posted:

The post was also a general disagreement with the "It's not good unless it's gritty/dark/pessimistic/nihilistic/etc" mindset. The wish fulfillment of authors like Rothfuss and the awfulness of the worlds and characters of authors like Grossman are just two different extremes of lovely writing (though I'd argue the fascination with the latter as far as readers go is another form of wish fulfillment in some cases).

You are absolutely dead on on this point and I'm fairly eager for the fantasy market pendulum to swing back to the lighter side for a while, hopefully without losing the willingness to bust cliches and the general increase in writing quality.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again
This is kind of tangential but I was reading The Little Book recently, which is a story about a dude who mysteriously time travels from 1988 to fin de siècle Vienna and has some crazy adventures. A nifty concept, only the main character is 1) the biggest rock star in the USA 2) a fantastic pitcher who throws a perfect game with thr best fastball anyone has ever seen 3) a genius who edits a book about Vienna that somehow becomes a best seller (!) and blows Freud's mind with his psychological know-how 4) the worlds greatest lover who bones a 20 year old (he is 40 at the time) and frees her to enjoy the world and 5) a free spirit who heals the heart of the queen of Austria by giving her a frisbee. Also anyone who doesn't like him immediately is a complete dick and also an anti-Semite.

I guess my point is if you are eager to read about what Kvothe's adventures in the real world would be like you should check out this book.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again
It's the most wistful and elegaic depiction of sexing up your grandmother that I've ever read.

• Locked thread