Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

Yeah, I really don't think SyFy has it in them to make their own, original space-opera franchise, or even science-fiction in general. Most of their good to great stuff was all based on something else.

I really wish they'd do some more miniseries based off of sci-fi books, because some of their past ones have been pretty good. Their Dune miniseries was great and I think alot better, and more accurate, than the Lynch movie. Children of Dune was great too, and Brian Tyler's music for that was beautiful. That's the kind of stuff they should be doing, cut off some of the movie-of-the week stuff and do some more mini-series. It doesn't have to even have to have that good of special effects as long as the writing is decent. I mean, the Dune miniseries effects were pretty bad, but it worked. Hell, even their movie of the week stuff would be somewhat better if they treated the scripts seriously. And we all saw what happened when they re-did BSG (Of course, like said earlier, that can backfire like with Flash Gordon).

In short, more stuff like Dune/Children of Dune and less crap-movie-of-the-week. And I'm not going to mention wrestling. I pretent SyFy is another channel for the time that wrestling is on. Like Spike2 or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Anyone else watch Face Off last night? I thought it was decent. I think as a competition it was structured fairly well. The "reality" show faux conflict was kept to a minimum, mainly coming from two guys who happened to already know each other and another guy who was a loud mouth and got called on his behavior.

I was also impressed with the winning team's animal-human hybrid design. It looked professional and was a lot more impressive than some of the others.

Teek fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 27, 2011

Recycled Reader
Mar 19, 2005

These books are made for walking
The promo commercials for Faceoff really didn't do the show any justice. I caught it last night out of curiosity and I really enjoyed it. Sure it follows the same exact "reality competition" formula thats been done to death, but its at least an original concept.
There seemed to be a pretty big divide in talent though, the good teams were good and the bad teams were train wrecks, so I hope we get awesome quality like the Vader Beetle for the rest of the show

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Scalp Fancy posted:

The promo commercials for Faceoff really didn't do the show any justice. I caught it last night out of curiosity and I really enjoyed it. Sure it follows the same exact "reality competition" formula thats been done to death, but its at least an original concept.
There seemed to be a pretty big divide in talent though, the good teams were good and the bad teams were train wrecks, so I hope we get awesome quality like the Vader Beetle for the rest of the show

I just worked on a movie with Tom from this show. He's a fuckin' super cool dude. He did a full body werewolf/yeti-ish suit for us. Pretty sweet.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
45 minutes into Mega Python vs. Gatoroid there is a musical montage of the gator fed super steroids growing and a giant python growing even larger after eating its eggs and it is the trippiest most amazing thing ever, even as their original movies go.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Sanctuary got renewed for a 4th season :dance:

I've been PLOWING through this starting from Season 1 (ow my bandwidth). This excites me greatly.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Wasn't really impressed with any of the alien creatures this third episode of Face Off. The one that won had some nice work on the head, but they kinda cheated by covering up 80% of the model with the gown.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

What do you get when you team up Houdini, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and a female cop?

http://www.deadline.com/2011/02/syfy-developing-series-about-harry-houdini-and-arthur-conan-doyle-solving-mysteries/

Guess we'll find out.

Sounds good in theory, not exactly high on the "it'll have steampunk!" thing, as I think that's getting a bit played out, but it seems like it could be the basis for a good series. Focus on spiritualism and the occult, throw in some Aleister Crowley for good measure.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
So tonight Syfy was running the triple feature of Splinter (their one really good "original" that they partially funded), Eyeborgs (a cheesily awful direct to video commentary on terrorism and the modern surveillance state that somehow managed to get both Adrian Paul and Danny Trejo), and Iron Invader (their latest Syfy original).

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
A place to talk about Face Off? Thank christ.

I love this show. I've always had a fascination with special effects makeup, and now that I work in the Haunted House business, I am even more acquainted with it.

Thank god, the douche king Frank got the axe last week. Christ, I have never wanted to punch someone as much as I did with him.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
After the first two episodes of Face Off I thought it was really nice there was a competition reality show actaully about the skills on display, but then the third and fourth had all that stuff about flirty crushes and the group splitting into two camps. Whether I end up liking the show depends on whether that stays around. I'm still glad to see how the artist are willing to drop their stuff and pitch in when disaster strikes someone else.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

The "two camps" thing strikes me as a bit fake, it really seems like it's just three people. Megan and Conor, and then the clueless ears chick who seems to have problems with Megan. Everyone else is doing their own thing but annoyed by the BS between Megan and Jo.

I really like some of the villains last night. Conor's demon was generic as hell. The teddy bear thing and the big head guy were pretty awesome. I would be interested to see how the big head guy would turn out with more time to work on it.

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 17, 2011

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Teek posted:

The "two camps" thing strikes me as a bit fake, it really seems like it's just three people. Megan and Conor, and then the clueless ears chick who seems to have problems with Megan. Everyone else is doing their own thing but annoyed by the BS between Megan and Jo.

I really like some of the villains last night. Conor's demon was generic as hell. The teddy bear thing and the big head guy were pretty awesome. I would be interested to see how the big head guy would turn out with more time to work on it.

I wanted to punch Jo right in the face the entire episode last week. Megan has an ego that doesn't match her work, sure, but goddamn Jo is just making her a villain for no goddamn reason, and I can imagine it will only get worse now that they voted Marcel off (who was a cool guy, goddamnit :( ) instead of Megan.

My current favorite is that Sam girl who is always, always in the middle safe ground. She's really loving talented.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I wanted to punch Jo right in the face the entire episode last week. Megan has an ego that doesn't match her work, sure, but goddamn Jo is just making her a villain for no goddamn reason, and I can imagine it will only get worse now that they voted Marcel off (who was a cool guy, goddamnit :( ) instead of Megan.

My current favorite is that Sam girl who is always, always in the middle safe ground. She's really loving talented.

Connor has the most experience and best opinions as of right now. Megan should have been the one to get kicked off. I'm almost certain they kept her just so they could keep the "drama." Motionless big bloody mouth should not have beaten 70's roller derby slasher with a poor paint job.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I just wanted to say that I love the title of this thread, and someone should make a Bob and David megathread at some point

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I may do that in the next week if someone else doesn't.

In other news, Sffy announced premiere dates for some returning and new series:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/live-feed/syfy-announces-sanctuary-stargate-universe-160094

Hollywood Reporter posted:

The third series in the Stargate franchise will return for its last 10 episodes on Monday, March 7 at 10 p.m.

Sanctuary, starring Amanda Tapping, returns to finish out its third season Friday, April 15 at 10 p.m.

Marcel’s Quantum Kitchen, a new series following Top Chef Marcel Vigneron, debuts Tuesday, March 22 at 10 p.m.

Destination Truth returns with a live St. Patricks Day episode on Thursday, March 17 at 9 p.m. for its Season 4.5 premiere before moving to Tuesdays at 9 p.m. beginning March 22.

The second season of Fact or Faked: Paranormal Files has been set for Wednesday, March 23 at 10 p.m., following a new episode of Ghost Hunters.

Syfy will also premiere several original movies, including Battle of Los Angeles on Saturday, March 12 at 9 p.m., the day after the Battle: Los Angeles film is released in theaters. Scream of the Banshee, about a college professor and her students who hear the horrifying scream of a Banshee, premieres Saturday, March 26 at 9 p.m. Ferocious Planet is slated for Saturday, April 9 at 9 p.m. and Roadkill premieres Saturday, April 23 at 9 p.m.

Syfy also picked up the rights to re-air Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles starting April 7th:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/02/22/syfy-sarah-connor-chronicles-exclusive/

Teek fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 22, 2011

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Tonight's Face Off was the best show.

I thought Ve Neil was going to laugh herself to death. And Jo got booted, which is the best outcome (even though Megan better step the hell up. She got lucky this week)

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

I thought Ve Neil was going to laugh herself to death. And Jo got booted, which is the best outcome (even though Megan better step the hell up. She got lucky this week)

I'm really hoping for a Tate win at the end, although I like Gage and Sam a lot too (and Marcel got robbed). They're all pretty great artists, but I also love them for staying far far away from the stupid love-connection Jo/Megan/Conor/Tom drama. Anthony's ok (if a little too woe-is-me), but that meltdown with Frank in front of the judges was just unbelievable.

And Jo, well, Jo is 21 and very obviously so. Stay classy, babe.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Jo was more affected by the love triangle than anyone else. I love how she delivered an ultimatum to Megan and then walked out giving her the finger.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Magnus Condomus posted:

Jo was more affected by the love triangle than anyone else. I love how she delivered an ultimatum to Megan and then walked out giving her the finger.

I am mixed on Megan. I really hated Jo from the first episode, and her going all super-bitch on Megan and Connor was dumb as hell. Megan isn't a great artist, and will have to do her own work if she's going to survive (I don't think she'll last next week) but Jo isn't that talented either. Her best work was under Connor who again, did more than his share of the work. The double standard is hilarious. The drama was not.

Jo's biggest mistake was reacting to Megan and Connor's judging. If she had just kept her mouth shut, I think the judges would have booted Tom instead.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

I am mixed on Megan. I really hated Jo from the first episode, and her going all super-bitch on Megan and Connor was dumb as hell. Megan isn't a great artist, and will have to do her own work if she's going to survive (I don't think she'll last next week) but Jo isn't that talented either. Her best work was under Connor who again, did more than his share of the work. The double standard is hilarious. The drama was not.

Jo's biggest mistake was reacting to Megan and Connor's judging. If she had just kept her mouth shut, I think the judges would have booted Tom instead.

It didn't really seem to me that Jo was the one who started things, though. At first, she was just reacting to Megan going all crazy-stare because someone dared to be assigned to a team with the guy she wanted to bone so badly. After that, though, she did go super high-school, yeah. And agreed on her not being a great artist, though a lot of that's probably just lack of experience (Megan too).

Tom's a pretty good artist, but goddamn did he jump right into the middle of the drama (that didn't even involve him) as soon as it presented itself. I think I can make a guess as to why Gage left his studio.

Notgothic fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 26, 2011

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's zombie night on Face Off, and it looks like it's going to rock.

They even got motherfucking Greg Nicetero in on this poo poo.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

I can see why they booted Anthony (his was definitely the weakest this week), but I think I would've kept Tom over Megan. Have there really been a lot of "run over by a car" zombies, that this is an unoriginal thing? Because I can't remember any off the top of my head, and I've watched kind of a lot of zombie stuff. Not that "zombie plastic surgery patient" isn't original too, but Tom's execution was definitely better.

This was the first week where Sam's work didn't really impress me, though Tate was owning poo poo as usual. I would've put Gage in the top two with him instead of Conor, though.

IveMadeSnacks
Feb 6, 2004

mew!!
I want Megan to be kicked off so I never have to see her stupid Ugg boots again. That and she's done the least amount of work of anyone on the show, not including Frank.

I also think Tom did a much better job. But, you know, drama, ratings, etc.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Tom was absolutely robbed, that really doesn't help the show's reputation that Megan remained.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Conor giving that cake to Megan must have seemed like manna from heaven to the producers. "Praise the lord, we can kick that rear end in a top hat Frank out of here! We've got a LOVE PLOTLINE!"

IveMadeSnacks
Feb 6, 2004

mew!!
Pretty much. I feel bad for Conor, because he seems sweet, if not totally clueless. She's just got Life Crushing Bitch Potential written all over her.

That, and the 20 year age difference. I JUST WANNA SEE COOL MAKEUP.

Vilthuril
Mar 30, 2004
I want to enjoy this show and they don't need to manufacture the drama bullshit!

It is cool as hell to hear about how these people actually do their work, I don't give a poo poo about budding romance or teen drama! And I can only assume Megan is being kept on for drama.

Being a fan of 'Drag Race' I thought her bride attempt was laughable, and I'm shocked the judges thought it was anything other then crap.

I wonder if by next season they will dump the stupid 'help the judges as a prize.' The judges obviously don't care.

Vilthuril fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 4, 2011

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

In regards to Megan, I just have to assume that the work done on the face didn't translate across on TV. It looks like it had some nice work, but all the blood red really didn't let us see much in the way of detail which may have been good.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

El_Matarife posted:

The problem is, SyFy channel is already scraping the bottom of the barrel for filming locations. A lot of their original movies are being shot in dirt poor places in Eastern Europe. At some point, the returns from going into cheaper and cheaper places are getting offset by having to fly in American English speaking actors. And the dollar is plunging which makes the whole situation worse.

They're probably considering using green-screen more and more. Supposedly that's how the next BSG series is going to do all of the shipboard scenes on Galactica.

EDIT: Alternately, maybe they'll just go whole hog, give the Hollywood guilds the finger, and just do everything overseas with non-union labor. Wonder what kind of a shitstorm that would kick up.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Vilthuril posted:

I want to enjoy this show and they don't need to manufacture the drama bullshit!

It is cool as hell to hear about how these people actually do their work, I don't give a poo poo about budding romance or teen drama! And I can only assume Megan is being kept on for drama.

Being a fan of 'Drag Race' I thought her bride attempt was laughable, and I'm shocked the judges thought it was anything other then crap.

I wonder if by next season they will dump the stupid 'help the judges as a prize.' The judges obviously don't care.

Yeah, I'm enjoying how they've been talking more about the process now that the scrubs are all cleared out. That's a lot of the reason I like the show so much: I don't know a drat thing about being a model or a bachelorette or any of that, but I can look at these guys' makeup work and say whether or not it impresses me. Usually I can sort of see why the judges are bitching about things (except Tom, what the hell were they smoking :mad:).

Speaking of, do they really have to intro the judges that many times in every episode? Once in the opening credits, ok, fine, it's the opening credits. But at least once in the actual show, sometimes twice? Is that really necessary? There are much more interesting things they could be using that time for.

You could make a drinking game out of "Glenn does a fake-out 'rarrgh I am angry at your obviously good work - (commercial) - jk, you did great'", I hope they don't think they're fooling anyone at this point.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I think Glenn acts like a dick because a) every show needs a "Simon" which is mega-dumb and b) because he feels he needs to puff himself up to match the other judges. I mean, Ve Neil has MULTIPLE Oscars for great makeup. Patrick designed the monsters for Stargate, Independence Day, the American Godzilla and all three Underworld movies...Glenn? Does stuff on Buffy and X-Files. I can't name a single thing Glenn has done that I remember. Looking at Ve and Patrick I can name tons.

Yeah.

Also, I gave Megan a lot of rope, and she hung herself with it. Seriously, what the poo poo was her makeup this week. The chest piece was well done, but the face totally negated all the sculpting work she did. It looked like fake blood with tissue paper glued onto the edge to create skin. I've done better at my haunted house gig in October with just liquid latex and grease paints.

And I don't know what kind of Drama they think they can keep going at this point. Everyone pretty much likes each other now, so why the gently caress keep Megan around when it won't stir much of a pot?!

Wow. Way too much spergin about a reality show. as someone else said I WANNA SEE COOL MAKEUP.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

I think Glenn acts like a dick because a) every show needs a "Simon" which is mega-dumb and b) because he feels he needs to puff himself up to match the other judges. I mean, Ve Neil has MULTIPLE Oscars for great makeup. Patrick designed the monsters for Stargate, Independence Day, the American Godzilla and all three Underworld movies...Glenn? Does stuff on Buffy and X-Files. I can't name a single thing Glenn has done that I remember. Looking at Ve and Patrick I can name tons.

I have a really tough time taking him seriously, because he looks a lot like the magician we had at the haunted house I used to work at. Apparently Optic Nerve did the makeup work on Babylon 5, which is pretty cool (though I have no idea how much involvement he had).

Speaking of looks, I've really been enjoying it when they bring in people like Michael Westmore or Sean Cunningham. Not just because it's nice to have qualified judges, but it's also fun to see people who look totally normal because they're from back before "makeup artist" was a lifestyle in addition to a career.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

They're probably considering using green-screen more and more. Supposedly that's how the next BSG series is going to do all of the shipboard scenes on Galactica.

Ugh, the paper's going to have to be round.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Face Off is seriously a good loving show. I've been trying to get everyone I know to watch it. They keep making stupid movie jokes about it, and I gotta keep prodding them. I'm not sure how many seasons worth of makeup artists are out there, but hopefully enough for at least another season. Some of these people are really freaking good.

I'm really not sure why Tom got removed in the last episode. His zombie looked pretty amazing, and the tire indent looked surreal. I'm still not sure how he pulled that off, the guy must have had his gut sucked in almost the entire time or something.

God I love this show.

My favorite episode so far I think was the nude body painting one. The burnt guy with the slab of real skin showing is something I'd frame and put on my wall. I thought a few of those easily surpassed what the expert judge himself did.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 5, 2011

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Yeah. Tonight's challenge on Face Off loving owns.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

"This is terrible... terribly good I mean har har de har" gently caress you, Glenn.

I still think Tate's going to win this; Conor's good in execution but too conservative in his ideas. Sam and Gage are, I'd say, neck-and-neck just above him. Gage's acting and body language must've been great, though, because that makeup left something to be desired.

Notgothic fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 10, 2011

tere
Oct 26, 2010
The only time i watch syfy is for chrono crusade and the other anime they show. I'm sure you're asking "tere, why not torrent it?" The reason is simple I have a gay 5gig cap since AT&T is the only thing worth a drat out here.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Glad that Megan was finally sent home, she was terrible tonight, furthering cementing that Tom was screwed last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Notgothic posted:

"This is terrible... terribly good I mean har har de har" gently caress you, Glenn.

Literally the first thing out of my mouth. loving jackass.