Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Slamhound posted:

I really disliked Vagrant Queen at first, but stuck with it for some reason and it grew on me. I was sorry to see it go.

Yeah, Vagrant Queen was surprisingly strong -- and you have to respect a show that decides to put on a colourful galaxy spanning adventure on a tiny, tiny budget. They just really went for it, mad props.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

How many episodes take place in a Canadian rock quarry?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GreenNight posted:

How many episodes take place in a Canadian rock quarry?

Literally none. They filmed in South Africa.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Does South Africa have rock quarries?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

GreenNight posted:

Does South Africa have rock quarries?

Yep

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The description of Surreal Estate makes me think of the Ghost Realtor episode of Nathan for You, and even if it doesn't live up to that, that's enough to make me want to give it a try.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Chairman Capone posted:

The description of Surreal Estate makes me think of the Ghost Realtor episode of Nathan for You, and even if it doesn't live up to that, that's enough to make me want to give it a try.

I did like the one B-plot of the rear end in a top hat horror writer wanting a "real" haunted house.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I'm sticking with Surreal Estate but it's still kinda janky. Maybe it actually wants to be a spooky Hallmark Channel kind of show, I dunno.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

I am enjoying SurrealEstate as a distraction, it's enjoyable but nothing mind blowing. However, seeing Timothy Mizon without his Doc Holliday 'stache and wet leopard growl? That is mind blowing.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Okay, Surreal Estate, that's a cold open!

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I binged Van Helsing over the last few months and finally finished it Friday. Great show, just what I needed this year. Axel (not to mention Julius) was just the best.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I started out liking Van Helsing but got annoyed after the first couple of seasons when they shifted the focus entirely over to the vampire mythology which I thought was the worst part of the setting.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I mostly switched off whenever the vampire mythology/Vanessa was onscreen. I just dug the show for the random adventures of Axel, Julius and Flesh, although it was a delight whenever Sam turned up, mainly for the sheer creepiness of his character. Props to the actor who played him.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
:siren:Hi All. Just jumping in the thread to remind everyone that our 2021 edition of the TVIV Poll is now open for submissions. We'd love to hear about your favourite shows of the year, and you might discover a new favourite while you're there. You can find the 10th Annual TVIV Viewers Poll there.

Didn't watch much 2021 TV? Never fear! To celebrate the fact that the poll has been going for 10 years, we're also running a Best TV shows of the last decade poll as well. Whether you lament the current TV landscape, just don't have time to watch much TV these days, or just love talking about your favourite shows, please jump in the thread and provide your lists.

The more people we have participating, the better it is for everyone! Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions.
:siren:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Resident Alien is back this Wednesday. Also Syfy has ordered a new series from Dean Devlin and Jonathan Glassner. Titled "The Ark" the show is going to be about a literal ark space ship that leaves Earth in search of a new world to colonize but it gets knocked off course. I assume there's some kind of twist because that premise seems a little prosaic.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I can't believe they're still making shows.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GreenNight posted:

I can't believe they're still making shows.

Covid impacted their productions pretty badly, but last year had Resident Alien, Chucky and the final season of Wynonna Earp, and they were all pretty good.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Please convince me the Picard TV show is good. I'm watching it with a friend and I'm struggling to find anything to enjoy in it. Or vent about it so I know I'm not crazy for not liking it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

LLSix posted:

Please convince me the Picard TV show is good. I'm watching it with a friend and I'm struggling to find anything to enjoy in it. Or vent about it so I know I'm not crazy for not liking it.

It definitely felt like Mass Effect near the end, much more than Star Trek. Also it kind of annoyed me that they went with Admiral Picard instead of Ambassador Picard.

That being said I did like the episode with Riker and Troi in their domestic life (even if they did have to shoehorn in a dead kid plot), and seeing at least a bit of Captain Riker in the finale.

Such a disappointing show in general, though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

LLSix posted:

It's not good, but it's also not a Syfy show.

But fwiw, it's about five decent ideas looking for a story, that ended up being bolted to the side of the 2010's Star Trek franchising juggernaut. I'd not really recommend it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The farewell to Data was nice, a better goodbye than Nemesis.

It's always great to see Jeri Ryan.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Also Syfy has ordered a new series from Dean Devlin and Jonathan Glassner. Titled "The Ark" the show is going to be about a literal ark space ship that leaves Earth in search of a new world to colonize but it gets knocked off course. I assume there's some kind of twist because that premise seems a little prosaic.

This is done using the same financial model as "The Outpost", so the production company pays for everything and they sell it to a US network at a loss (basically as advertising) hoping to make money selling it abroad. As such I would not ecpect high production values here.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ah yes generational ship knocked off course story as old as scifi. Isn't that basically Battle Star Galactica Season 3 or so when they settled on New Caprica? That always felt like the point where they ran out of ideas.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

pixaal posted:

Isn't that basically Battle Star Galactica Season 3 or so when they settled on New Caprica? That always felt like the point where they ran out of ideas.

No, that was they found a planet that was good enough to settle on, and Baltar uses the idea of settling there as a way to boost his polling numbers in the run up to the election. Who wants to stay constantly on the run after nearly a year on the ships when they could just stop and rebuild a new society? But of course it's a stupid loving idea, as anyone would know if they consider it came from Baltar.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
So, in Resident Alien, i dont remember if they showed last season what happened to the new handsome doctor with unknown whereabouts this season?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Falukorv posted:

So, in Resident Alien, i dont remember if they showed last season what happened to the new handsome doctor with unknown whereabouts this season?

Kidnapped by the military, as they were under the impression that he's an alien.

I've been assuming that he is one, since his character seems like an injoke reference to another show he and some of the other Resident Alien cast were on.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Kidnapped by the military, as they were under the impression that he's an alien.

I've been assuming that he is one, since his character seems like an injoke reference to another show he and some of the other Resident Alien cast were on.

Ah thanks! rings a bell but had forgotten that part

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Okay, I'm gonna say it: Astrid And Lilly Save The World has slowly won me over.

It's not a great show, perhaps not even a good one, but it has a ridiculous amount of heart and gumption -- it's a classic underdog.

The show started bad. Like borderline incompetent, how did this get made? bad, but it's steadily pulled itself into something kinda competent and occasionally impressive.

It's still got some actors that can't act, a budget that's absolutely laughable, a weird, elastic setting that doesn't seem to really get communicated very well. But, like I said, it's got heart. And the last few episodes managed to find a strain of comedy, and a romantic subplot or two, that I genuinely enjoyed.

It's a Wynonna Earp / Vagrant Queen in terms of what it's aiming for, aggressively B movie but with heart, charm and black humour. So it's not high art, it's trash. And I'm not sure I'd even recommend it. But there's something really cool about watching a show get its poo poo together, that was pretty cool.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 1, 2022

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Open Source Idiom posted:

I kind of assumed the same since the previous episode Harry mentioned a competitor race being on Earth interbreeding with humans and the first thing he does is hook up with Darcy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh, hey thread. Turns out there's a new Sci-fi Syfy show airing tonight!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKtH0mVhwSg

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

On one hand it's been ages since I watched anything on Syfy, on the other, I don't trust it won't be awesome and then canceled.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's Dean Devlin, so I'm expecting crap.

I will, of course, check it out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Ark gets a big meh from me. Everything about it is budget, including the actors. They really really really needed at least one big recognizable genre actor to anchor the cast.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
yeah trailer was very underwhelming so I gave it a pass. First ep is free on their youtube channel though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2TBAhPO7l0

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I started watching it but after 15 minutes I just could feel that this isn't for me.

Youtube comment: "cheesy over the top teenage drama, but I'll watch it still because I like all sci-fi!"

ugh no thanks

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, all the reviews sound dire so I'm not going to be in a rush to check it out. There's too much good stuff out there to spend time on stuff like this.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
It's not the greatest show ever but I'm glad SurrealEstate managed to be revived. Oddly comforting show. I do like how the stories seem a little darker this season too.

(also i know its almost been a year since this thread updated but syfy is kinda dead wow)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

What original shows does Syfy even have now? I can’t remember the last Syfy show I’ve heard of. Probably Vagrant Queen and that got canned at the start of the pandemic.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They still have Resident Alien and IIRC The Ark got renewed. There's also Chucky but I don't know how much that is a "Syfy" show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

muscles like this! posted:

They still have Resident Alien and IIRC The Ark got renewed. There's also Chucky but I don't know how much that is a "Syfy" show.

Yeah NBC and USA are helping to produce it though I think NBC owns Syfy or is a parent company something like that. I think there's something similar going on with SurrealEstate where its way more of a Canadian production and they're probably why it ended up getting renewed.