Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's how I read it. I'm guessing that'll come into play next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
That slowmo music scene, then the makeout session with the mayor and his wife was awesome.

Enjoyed season 1, looking forward to next year.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Real Harry being the murderer was definitely a weird bit. Especially since it was such a lackadaisical way to do it. He wanted the guy dead but didn't really have a timeframe in which he needed it done. Although I guess that might just be from his history as a pathologist, knowing that the more distance he put between the act and the death the harder it would be to catch him.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

tomapot posted:

That slowmo music scene, then the makeout session with the mayor and his wife was awesome.

The sound design was hilarious during that scene, the music was literally drowning out the dialog from the other characters. It was WAY too loud in the best way.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Well, that we got an answer about if Tudyk was wearing the costume or not:
https://collider.com/resident-alien-season-1-finale-ending-explained-season-2/

quote:

A logistical question I had, especially watching the finale — how often is Alan in the actual physical alien suit?

TOMKO: That was really important to him, actually. He was pretty adamant about wanting to do it every time he could, because there are definitely some scenes where you have to see Harry standing there, but you see the alien in a reflection. Obviously, he can't be in two places at once. The way we shoot that is by having an alien in the costume and him in the same shot, and it looks like he's looking at his own reflection. But any time that the alien is standing alone, it's Alan. He just really believed in doing that body work and any time he couldn't do it, he worked really closely with Keith [Arbuthnot], who was our main alien. He worked really closely with making sure that Keith was impersonating him, Harry, to the best of his ability so that it was fluid. That was a really big deal for Alan.

quote:

The reason I asked is you have this emotional hug with him in the finale. And I can only imagine that playing that with not someone who wasn't Alan would be awkward.

TOMKO: At first, when we did certain shots, it was Keith when I hug him, because he's supposed to look like a tall alien. So Keith was the one who actually had to stand on stilts and have this gaze down on me as I'm on the ground, looking up at him. But when it came time to actually have the interaction that was so intimate at the end, it was Alan for sure. And it was such a cool moment.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Syfy aired the finale to Wynonna Earp, and it was pretty drat good. I love the decision to use the finale to just tell a ridiculous one-off monster story about a haunted dress, and then to brush that entire thing under the carpet less that twenty minutes in. A big part of why I've loved the final season of this show, and the Syfy Renaissance period generally, is that all their shows managed to balance serialisation and episodic narratives so very, very well. I think as we see the slow winding down of cable, and perhaps of Canadian science-fiction generally, it'll be something that we might lose. And I'll certainly be sorry to see it go.

So it's appropriate, in a sense, that this finale was a sad one, if also a very very happy one. The show was always a comedy first, and a drama second. Hell, when it started out it was often a comedy because it was so so bad at drama. But everyone got their happy endings, after a fashion, and there were some excellent jokes. I'd be very proud to have been involved in this show.

In other news -- after Van Helsing begins its 13 episode final season, Syfy's got, uhh, two or three other new shows coming, but they look like they'll all only be eight episodes long after covid stripped down their episode counts from ten. The Surrealator has got a lot of the Earp cast in front of and behind the cameras, there's a Chucky series that's being worked on by Mancini, both the Douriffs and the guy behind Channel Zero, and there's some sort of remake of the The Day of The Dead that I've heard next to nothing about beyond casting. So I'm excited to check them out when they turn up, particularly the Childs Play show.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
The nightbreed show is still happening too iirc. Pretty sure that popped up again late last year in the news when Clive Barker was doing press for his Hulu movie (which wasn’t half bad). They got the Godzilla King of Monsters director to sign for it (pilot or whole series idk/can’t remember). That’s probably a 2022 thing though.

https://twitter.com/syfy/status/1379114604794613764?s=21

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Tokubetsu posted:

The nightbreed show is still happening too iirc. Pretty sure that popped up again late last year in the news when Clive Barker was doing press for his Hulu movie (which wasn’t half bad). They got the Godzilla King of Monsters director to sign for it (pilot or whole series idk/can’t remember). That’s probably a 2022 thing though.

https://twitter.com/syfy/status/1379114604794613764?s=21

Oh, yes! I had forgotten about the Chucky show. So, it's old Chucky not the reboot one, right?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Desperado Bones posted:

Oh, yes! I had forgotten about the Chucky show. So, it's old Chucky not the reboot one, right?

Yeah, considering the cast I assume it is pretty much just an extension of the later movies.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

:getin: Good. Those movies went bonkers over time, let's hope the show holds up.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Yeah I believe the chucky show is an extension of the entire franchise save the reboot. Pretty sure everybody is coming back with some new cast members like Devon Sawa.

I remember hearing something to the effect that it was Chucky let loose on a suburb or a small town. Something like that but might have just been a rumor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Chucky franchise is so loving bonkers, the last one has the best kill and reaction in the entire series. The show will obviously be a bit sanitized but I don't care, I am on board day 1.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

The show will obviously be a bit sanitized but I don't care, I am on board day 1.

It's going to be by the Channel Zero people and Doug Mancini.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fair but there's no way they can get away with the levels of gore "Cult" had on television.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rhyno posted:

Fair but there's no way they can get away with the levels of gore "Cult" had on television.

Someone didn't watch Blood Drive.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bull3964 posted:

Someone didn't watch Blood Drive.

I did, Cult was still worse.

I'm assuming they'll let Chucky say gently caress and just bleep it like they did on the Magicians.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Magicians I watched nothing was bleeped out and it was off Syfy. Not sure they care anymore.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, magicians said gently caress frequently. So did Deadly Class.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I think they let most if not all their shows curse now and just bleep it when it’s on tv. I wanna say there was at least a couple bleeps in Resident Alien too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tokubetsu posted:

I think they let most if not all their shows curse now and just bleep it when it’s on tv. I wanna say there was at least a couple bleeps in Resident Alien too.

No, I've watched stuff live on Syfy and the fucks were there.

Any censorship of the swearing on Syfy at this point is down to the distributor of the show. Syfy allows it all, but the distributor of the show may feel that they can attract a wider audience if they self censor. This was the case with The Expanse, it was Alcon silencing Avasarala's fucks, not Syfy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Well Van Helsing has officially gone bugnuts.

Did anyone have "Gingersnaps 3" on their bingo card?

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Is there a SurrealEstate thread? Only two eps out but I enjoyed them! Glad they didn’t waste anytime trying to explain that this is a world where not only do ghosts and demons exist but telekinesis and pyrokinesis too?!

Also:

https://twitter.com/ucp/status/1416133033573314561

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Wait, Chucky releases tomorrow (for me)?! I had forgotten.

Hahaha, nice!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Desperado Bones posted:

Wait, Chucky releases tomorrow (for me)?! I had forgotten.

Hahaha, nice!

Uh, no, sorry. The trailer drops on the 25th. The show's coming later.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Aaw. :smith:

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Yeah airing this fall but the trailers here:

https://youtu.be/oBNH-PY730k

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FLZtYAdjrs
Yeesh, this looks not good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Trailer makes it seem a bit decontextualised. But I laughed at the funeral home bit, so that's a good sign.

Tokubetsu posted:

I get the charm in doing a throwback style trailer, but all I was reminded of was how much I hated that style when it was common.

I also can't help shake the feeling that this is another case of USA trying to poach something they think is decently marketable from Syfy, again, and then just not knowing how to market it.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Tokubetsu posted:

:getin: Hell yeah, looks awesome. I hope it's not a disappointment.

Oh yeah, the trailer is quite bad.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Biggest reasons to be optimistic about the chucky show is mancini is showrunner he has explicitly cited his time on Hannibal as his inspiration.

https://ew.com/tv/chucky-hannibal-don-mancini/

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tokubetsu posted:

Biggest reasons to be optimistic about the chucky show is mancini is showrunner he has explicitly cited his time on Hannibal as his inspiration.

https://ew.com/tv/chucky-hannibal-don-mancini/

Nick Antosca (Hannibal, Channel Zero, The Act, AKA nearly all the good horror on television for the last few years) is also attached.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Tokubetsu posted:

Is there a SurrealEstate thread? Only two eps out but I enjoyed them! Glad they didn’t waste anytime trying to explain that this is a world where not only do ghosts and demons exist but telekinesis and pyrokinesis too?!
Thanks for this post, I almost skipped this show entirely. I'm liking it so far.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I should have also noted that the 1st and 2nd eps of SurrealEstate are on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/H1JzYbYeyqc

https://youtu.be/heEUebgJaNo

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Man Rozon gets around - lost girl, vagrant queen, wynonna earp.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

They're probably all filmed 15 mins from his house.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
https://youtu.be/_Fanl55bk5A

Missed this video

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
gently caress YES.

Fiona Dourf and Jennifer Tilly are in it.

Edit: AND Chrstine Elise and Alex Vincent! It's got everybody!

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Bonus:

https://twitter.com/jennifertilly/status/1419453379345063940?s=21

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Thanks for letting me know about Surreal Estate! Its entertaining in a season 1 Buffy kind of way and I hope it finds its feet soon. The actors are all quite charming and the spooky stuff is fun.

I watched one ep of Vagrant Queen, not something that caught me to be honest, but the same happened with Killjoys and I ended up LOVING that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Sloth Life posted:

Thanks for letting me know about Surreal Estate! Its entertaining in a season 1 Buffy kind of way and I hope it finds its feet soon. The actors are all quite charming and the spooky stuff is fun.

I watched one ep of Vagrant Queen, not something that caught me to be honest, but the same happened with Killjoys and I ended up LOVING that.

I really disliked Vagrant Queen at first, but stuck with it for some reason and it grew on me. I was sorry to see it go.