Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatersg2haet
Nov 10, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Le Sean posted:

I was pretty set on the Kindle until I looked at the video on Sonystyle and saw the touchscreen Sony's had a stylus. There was a strange moment of 'again, here we are' as I thought back to my days with old Treos, but being able to highlight blocks of text for later use seems so obvious that I'd hate to not have it.

Does the stylus on sony devices work well? Does the Kindle have a similar highlight-and-save mechanic? How are the dictionaries on the various devices?

How often does Sony update firmware and what not? Also, what's the real difference between the daily and touch editions besides the extra inch of screen?

As far as delivered content goes, is it worth it? Several user reviews for delivered magazines or newspapers for Amazon for instance insist that you get limited versions of the papers and that it's not even worth the money.

What keeps the Kindle interesting to me is how much you can do On-Device. A younger me would have loved tinkering with fonts and doing mass-conversions and what not on a computer before loading them on a device, but these days I'm preferring things that just work. Kindle's syncing systems, for instance, for amazon-purchased books is one example.

How quick are Sony on the uptake when it comes to improving software with common-sense ideas?

The Kindle allows you to highlight text quite simply. While it's not touch highlighting (you use the arrows and the cursor clicking center once to start highlighting moving the cursor to the end of your highlight and clicking a second time.) in my opinion it's superior to Sony's highlighting. It syncs across platforms. It provides on the fly definitions from highlighted items, and it allows you to save those highlighted items into bulleted cliff notes for later use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

hatersg2haet posted:

The Kindle allows you to highlight text quite simply. While it's not touch highlighting (you use the arrows and the cursor clicking center once to start highlighting moving the cursor to the end of your highlight and clicking a second time.) in my opinion it's superior to Sony's highlighting. It syncs across platforms. It provides on the fly definitions from highlighted items, and it allows you to save those highlighted items into bulleted cliff notes for later use.

Yeah, I actually really like the Kindle's highlighting. If it's an Amazon-bought book, you can load up Kindle for PC and see and jump to all the bits you've highlighted on the Kindle.

Also, for the "limited newspapers" you can use Calibre to get free Associated Press stories automatically sent to your device every day. And from a lot of the actual papers as well, to the point where I don't think it would even be worth paying for the official ones. But then I live outside of the US so it costs a million billion dollars for them anyway. For newspapers, you click the center of the directional thing to bring up a table of contents with links to all the stories.

Ara fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Nov 20, 2010

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

My kindle has started going slightly blueish on the corners.

I think its the dye or something from the official case rubbing off on the kindle. Its hardly really noticeable but its one of those things that now I know its there its driving me nuts. Can't seem to clean it off either.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the input guys, I added most of the stuff people recommended, I will be updating the Sony Reader section but that takes a little more time (hopefully sometime this week).

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Ara posted:

Yeah, I actually really like the Kindle's highlighting. If it's an Amazon-bought book, you can load up Kindle for PC and see and jump to all the bits you've highlighted on the Kindle.

How do I get it to do this? The Kindle App on my Mac isn't showing the Notes & Highlights I've made on my Kindle. I've already turned on Annotations Backup in the Kindle menu.

Beffah
Jul 8, 2010

I'm going to un-root my nook, then re-root it to write a how-to. Go me for having a weekend plan. :D

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Parkettpolitur posted:

How do I get it to do this? The Kindle App on my Mac isn't showing the Notes & Highlights I've made on my Kindle. I've already turned on Annotations Backup in the Kindle menu.

It was totally automatic for me, just right-click the book and "My Notes and Annotations". Try deleting and re-downloading the book?

Kakesu
Nov 4, 2005

ETHICAL.

The right side of my Kindle 2 has started making an extra click sound whenever I press a button on that side of the unit. It sounds like there's something that's come loose inside that reconnects briefly every time I apply pressure, and then audibly disconnects when I let go. Has anyone heard of this before? I'm thinking of giving Amazon a call and asking them, but I thought I'd see if anyone here had experienced this first.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Kakesu posted:

The right side of my Kindle 2 has started making an extra click sound whenever I press a button on that side of the unit. It sounds like there's something that's come loose inside that reconnects briefly every time I apply pressure, and then audibly disconnects when I let go. Has anyone heard of this before? I'm thinking of giving Amazon a call and asking them, but I thought I'd see if anyone here had experienced this first.

Just call Amazon up and tell them what's going on. They'll often replace your Kindle for free for the most minor of things.

the_reading_rainbow
Dec 20, 2009

Friends to know, and ways to grow, a Reading Rainbow.
What's the best reader under $150 for PDF books? Not all-text either, some of these files contain scanned pages... Kindle DX looks nice but drat, kind of expensive. Any recommendations?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

the_reading_rainbow posted:

What's the best reader under $150 for PDF books? Not all-text either, some of these files contain scanned pages... Kindle DX looks nice but drat, kind of expensive. Any recommendations?

None?

Most small screen readers are complete poo poo when it comes to PDFs (especially scanned page ones)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Nook Color got pretty good reviews on reading PDFs, but its unfortunately $250. The Kindle and Nook both are kind of crappy at it from what I hear as well.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

The Nook Color is awesome for PDF's other than the fact it does not remember what page you were on. Complex and small-font pdf's are really frustrating on the kindle 3g in my opinion.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

For Japanese books: I don't know if this was around before (I sure didn't notice it and the guy who posted the site in the other thread sure didn't notice it), but the Aozora Bunko PDF conversion thing now has a tool where you can enter your own text and it will make it a vertically-formatted PDF, rather than only working for Aozora stuff. Even works with ruby!

http://a2k.aill.org/text.html

Now to wait for an XMDF converter. And for all the big publishing houses to start selling ebooks :eng99:

hatersg2haet
Nov 10, 2010

by Fistgrrl
PDFS are much better on the custom kindle firmware. Especially if their text based and not scans.

anothertenbux
Aug 17, 2010

by Fistgrrl

hatersg2haet posted:

PDFS are much better on the custom kindle firmware. Especially if their text based and not scans.

What custom firmware?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ara posted:

For Japanese books: I don't know if this was around before (I sure didn't notice it and the guy who posted the site in the other thread sure didn't notice it), but the Aozora Bunko PDF conversion thing now has a tool where you can enter your own text and it will make it a vertically-formatted PDF, rather than only working for Aozora stuff. Even works with ruby!
The az2tex script it's using to do the actual conversion pretty much worked with any text anyway (in addition to actual aozora ebooks I was using it for stuff like automatically converting newspaper articles) but it is an incredible pain to set up so being able to use this site is a massive improvement.

On the other hand, having to convert to pdfs is sort of annoying. If someone was able to make an epub viewer for kindle I wonder if it would similarly be possible to make an aozora text file viwer?

quote:

Now to wait for an XMDF converter. And for all the big publishing houses to start selling ebooks :eng99:
Unfortunately I don't know enough to be able to actually reverse engineer the XMDF format but I was previously able to use the program WinAPIOverride32 to get the text out of XMDF books in a really crappy way by intercepting the appropriate text drawing API call (it doesn't work with furigana and you have to scroll through the whole document but that isn't all that difficult if you make the window huge and set the font size to size 4 or something). It looks like after many years sharp has finally updated the viewer program after many years so I don't know if even this would work any more. Of course the bigger problem is that the selection on sites like papyless is horrible because nobody is publishing Japanese ebooks in the first place.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
One thing that has surprised me about e-readers so far is that people actually seem to be buying the media. It seems that aside from a few computer books, bestsellers, and self-help nonsense, that torrents and illegal downloading of e-books hasn't really taken off.

Though I suppose this also has to do with drm and the fact that there are so many filetypes flying around right now.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Avian Pneumonia posted:

One thing that has surprised me about e-readers so far is that people actually seem to be buying the media. It seems that aside from a few computer books, bestsellers, and self-help nonsense, that torrents and illegal downloading of e-books hasn't really taken off.

Though I suppose this also has to do with drm and the fact that there are so many filetypes flying around right now.

This isn't exactly true, you can still find most any book :filez:. I think it has more to do with that fact that the infrastructure (eReaders) was in place before the files started showing up. This is basically how the music industry would have been in 2000ish if iTunes store and the first iPod came out at exactly the same time, and before people were used to getting mp3s for fee.

It's now the normal way to get books through your eReader's software, so they don't think twice about it...that's just how it works to everyone. It's also a lot harder to find book because we don't have something like Napster for ebooks.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Plinkey posted:

This isn't exactly true, you can still find most any book :filez:. I think it has more to do with that fact that the infrastructure (eReaders) was in place before the files started showing up. This is basically how the music industry would have been in 2000ish if iTunes store and the first iPod came out at exactly the same time, and before people were used to getting mp3s for fee.

It's now the normal way to get books through your eReader's software, so they don't think twice about it...that's just how it works to everyone. It's also a lot harder to find book because we don't have something like Napster for ebooks.

Actually books have been up to download long before eBooks started growing. I think it has all to do with the ease of purchase rather than anything else. Steam, iTunes, everything has shown that if you provide an easy way to buy stuff, people buy stuff.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Avian Pneumonia posted:

There's a ton of piracy but the book publishers don't have an RIAA or MPAA and a ton of cash to throw around filing frivolous lawsuits and mass market ad campaigns to cry about it, basically.

Plinkey posted:

The eBook industry started in the late 90s with books for the Newton, and Palm Pilot. There have been ebook pirate rings since then and frankly with as small as the files are compared to a song or movie, they were very easy to distribute.

It's just that it took until 2007 when the Kindle and Sony eink readers came out to get people actually excited about ebooks.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Actually books have been up to download long before eBooks started growing. I think it has all to do with the ease of purchase rather than anything else. Steam, iTunes, everything has shown that if you provide an easy way to buy stuff, people buy stuff.

Yeah, that's basically what I was trying to say.

Also if you compare ebooks to mp3s when the devices really surged in popularity the publishers and retailers already had their poo poo together to make it easy for people to buy thing. Unlike music/movies/tv.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
The only book series I've pirated is because I can't buy it: Harry Potter. If you make it as easy or easier to buy than to pirate, people will mostly buy. There's still some who'll pirate, but nothing like what happened to the music industry as people say.

I suspect you'll see piracy pick up if you start seeing reader-exclusivity deals like Amazon was trying for a while. Apple was trying it too, I think, since I did see books in the iBook store that weren't on Amazon, but that was also right around when the whole "agency" thing was playing out, so it might have just been part of that confusion.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
If people buy a book using the interface on the 3G Kindle, will you be charged a download fee on top of it? I only own the Wifi one and my father wants me to buy one for my Mom for Christmas. I'ld rather make it as easy as possible to buy things since she's not very technically inclined so not teaching her how to download a book on her computer would be a freaking godsend.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

kuddles posted:

If people buy a book using the interface on the 3G Kindle, will you be charged a download fee on top of it? I only own the Wifi one and my father wants me to buy one for my Mom for Christmas. I'ld rather make it as easy as possible to buy things since she's not very technically inclined so not teaching her how to download a book on her computer would be a freaking godsend.

If you are in Canada, Japan, the US, the UK, Switzerland, Germany, Australia or South Korea (and probably some more I'm forgetting) - no.

If you are outside all of those countries - maybe.

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

I just asked my mom for a Kindle for Christmas, but I don't have wi-fi... am I going to have to mooch off my neighbor's network whenever I want to download a book, or can I just plug the Kindle into my laptop and download directly through USB?

Also, not having to wait 1-2 weeks for a book (living overseas) means instant gratification is finally possible...am I correct in assuming this is going to result in a massive book purchase increase?

Suntory BOSS fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 22, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up, nook wifi is going for 99 bucks on bestbuy.com for thanksgiving. Dunno if anyone is looking for one, but hey, decent price.

The other 2 ereaders they listed were poo poo though.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Suntory BOSS posted:

I just asked my mom for a Kindle for Christmas, but I don't have wi-fi... am I going to have to mooch off my neighbor's network whenever I want to download a book, or can I just plug the Kindle into my laptop and download directly through USB?

You can do either if you want. Personally, I think you should ask your mom for a 3g Kindle so you won't have to worry!

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Ara posted:

It was totally automatic for me, just right-click the book and "My Notes and Annotations". Try deleting and re-downloading the book?

Weird, now some of my notes are showing up in the Kindle apps on my iPhone and iPad, but only some. Maybe I should just leave the Kindle's Wifi on a bit longer, so it can sync everything?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

madprocess posted:

If you are in Canada, Japan, the US, the UK, Switzerland, Germany, Australia or South Korea (and probably some more I'm forgetting) - no.

If you are outside all of those countries - maybe.
I live in Canada, so that's fine. Thanks.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Parkettpolitur posted:

Weird, now some of my notes are showing up in the Kindle apps on my iPhone and iPad, but only some. Maybe I should just leave the Kindle's Wifi on a bit longer, so it can sync everything?

I never turn mine off, and the only people who ever posted in the last thread with syncing problems of any kind were ones who turned their wireless off when not using it, so it's probably that.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Ara posted:

I never turn mine off, and the only people who ever posted in the last thread with syncing problems of any kind were ones who turned their wireless off when not using it, so it's probably that.

Got it; I'll turn it on and keep it on when I get home tonight :)

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

hatersg2haet posted:

Where does it go when it syncs? I've been wanting to get my highlights on my phone and on my desktop client but can't find them on either.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

Suntory BOSS posted:

Also, not having to wait 1-2 weeks for a book (living overseas) means instant gratification is finally possible...am I correct in assuming this is going to result in a massive book purchase increase?

Have her also send you a wireless router, they cost 20 whole dollars, and then you can use all sorts of devices with it.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Calibre problem: For a couple months now I've had Calibre auto-downloading and mailing news to my Kindle and it's never had a problem. For the last 3 days or so (maybe after a patch?), I hadn't been getting anything delivered to me, so I checked my mail account and it's suddenly switched to sending all my news in epub format instead of mobi, so they all get rejected. I can't find an option to change the file format of downloaded news anywhere. Help :saddowns:

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
Go to Preferences/Sharing books by email, and change the Formats bit (double click it) to only say MOBI

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Oben posted:

Go to Preferences/Sharing books by email, and change the Formats bit (double click it) to only say MOBI

Thanks, I thought that that might be it, but it's not actually clear that that's what's created, only what is auto-emailed.

Mathlete
Nov 30, 2005

It's hip to be a squared square.

Hungry Gerbil posted:

I have the Bookeen Cybook (e-ink) and I'm pretty satisfied with it. It's lightweight, has a good interface and supports quite a few formats.

I bought a Cybook Opus a year ago and I'm still satisfied with it too. Its 5" screen makes it smaller and thinner than a lot of the paperbacks I used to carry around in my jacket pocket. I like that the page turn buttons are placed perfectly for using the device with one hand and that when I push the power button, it instantly boots up to the last screen I was on.

While I don't have any intention of replacing it, I don't think I'd buy another one if it stopped working. The Kindle and Nook are a much better value.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Dear Publishers,

Please stop with the bullshit prices. There's no reason for the ebook to be more than the paperback edition. I recently decided to re-read Lies My Teacher Told Me because I remember enjoying it and I haven't seen my copy since I lent it to someone in 8th grade. It was available for $4.50 for Kindle, so I bought it. The new introduction also recommends Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States so I looked that up and it was 14.99. The paperback is 11.29.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Amen to that. And gently caress regional differences. Idoru by William Gibson, $6.99 on a US ebook store, £6.99-£8.49 on UK sites. My limey money not worth as much apparently.