Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

movax posted:

Just how awful is Kindle 3 PDF support? I saw that Kindle 2 would be $90 tomorrow...then did some more research, and I figure it's about time I pull the trigger on a Kindle, it looks great.

But, my primary content would be PDFs (including some textbooks), which may or may not be just huge image after huge image, and if that falls apart entirely, not too interested then.

I guess my main question is: what reader should I choose for primarily viewing "medium" complexity PDFs? Please don't say netbook. :(

Honestly for PDF's that are image heavy you probably want a color LCD screen. I would think that's one of the advantages of the Nook Color, though some people are saying the support is currently a bit shoddy. iPads are really nice for PDF viewing, but obviously a lot more expensive.

The smaller Kindle's just aren't that great at PDF viewing. They are alright for mostly text type stuff on occasion, but it's still a bit slow. I've not used a DX so I can't comment on how those do. I love my Kindle, I read on it every day, but any time images are involved it's definitely kind of a "meh" experience.

subx fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Read the thread title and all I could think of was:

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I bought a Kindle 3rd Generation on launch day. Took a while to get up here to Canada though, but I love it.

I just get a little frustrated by some books not being available for Canadian Kindles. It kinda sucks.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Slotducks posted:

I bought a Kindle 3rd Generation on launch day. Took a while to get up here to Canada though, but I love it.

I just get a little frustrated by some books not being available for Canadian Kindles. It kinda sucks.
Keep checking back to the Amazon site to see if the books you want have been added as Kindle editions. About half a dozen titles I wanted for the Kindle on the UK launch were only available in paperback, but they've been released for the Kindle now. Also, try hitting the Tell the Publisher! I’d like to read this book on Kindle link, presumably the more people that request a Kindle version, the more likely it is to be available.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 26, 2010

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009
Has the Nook 1.5 firmware improved PDF viewing and web browsing much?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Has anybody used the original Kobo vs the one released last month?

And for the OP: Kobo does DRM ePub, PDF and Adobe DRM files.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

Has the Nook 1.5 firmware improved PDF viewing and web browsing much?

People keep asking this question, and the answer I haven't seen posted yet is this: does the software update increase the physical size of the screen? No? Then probably not.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
How often do you guys read pdf's? I only deal with them when reading a restaurant's menu online sometimes.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
If anyone happens to see a 3 week old Kindle 3 in a light brown cover on a Southwest 737, let me know.

:smith:

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran

Daric posted:

How often do you guys read pdf's? I only deal with them when reading a restaurant's menu online sometimes.

All the time; unfortunately, academic journals do not publish in ePub yet. Also that first apostrophe is unnecessary. I also don't like the Kindle's creative pagination methods, but the real dealbreaker with me for readers is PDF support.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Residency Evil posted:

If anyone happens to see a 3 week old Kindle 3 in a light brown cover on a Southwest 737, let me know.

:smith:

Did you put your contact information in the options section?

If so, there could be a chance that somebody could return it. :unsmith:

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Daric posted:

Hope you never plan on graduate school. :smith:

For PDF reading, I'm just planning on an iPad whenever the second gen releases this spring. I'll keep the Kindle around for book reading, though - I just love having a little, light device that reads books exclusively - too many features can prove easily distracting for me. :shobon:

Duckman2008 posted:

Very smart move on the iPad, my biggest beef is Apple always screws over people who buy the 1st Gen of their product.

What? How so?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Duper posted:

Amazing deal on Nook 3G + WIFI refurb right now.

Add these two to your cart

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/NOOK-3G-Wi-Fi-by-Barnes-Noble-eBook-Reader-Certified-Pre-Owned-Refurbished/5389836/product.html

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Screen-Protector-for-T-mobile-G1-MyTouch-3G/4780880/product.html?keywords=12680677&searchtype=Header for filler

Apply code: 149418

$86 shipped. With new 1.5 firmware, this is ridiculous.

go go
Got one yesterday to hack and stuff (I'm a K3 guy). At that price, it's a steal. OOS now.

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

you cant have it, you dont have nuff teef to chew it
So I have a choice of an ereader for an early christmas gift, and I'm trying to get my research straight. I'm looking for good pdf support and enough memory to allow me to take at least a good portion of my pdfs with me (I have about 4 gigs worth but it grows slowly, mostly academic stuff). I guess I would also like to know if there are any options available that allow highlighting or annotation on PDFs. In fact, highlighting and adding notes to any kind of non-standard media (I guess google books stuff or project gutenberg, that kind of thing) would be very nice. I have been looking at the Kindle DX because it has the biggest screen, which is a plus for me. Right now my choice is between that and the Nook because I'm a fan of expandable memory. I'm also interested in learning about the Sony reader (I guess the model with the biggest screen?) and how it fits into the criteria here. And ic case anyone thinks I might be missing something important, are there any other questions that I might be interested in looking into?

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran
Pretty sure the only tablet device that allows pdf annotation is the iPad.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

Captain Frigate posted:

So I have a choice of an ereader for an early christmas gift, and I'm trying to get my research straight. I'm looking for good pdf support and enough memory to allow me to take at least a good portion of my pdfs with me (I have about 4 gigs worth but it grows slowly, mostly academic stuff). I guess I would also like to know if there are any options available that allow highlighting or annotation on PDFs. In fact, highlighting and adding notes to any kind of non-standard media (I guess google books stuff or project gutenberg, that kind of thing) would be very nice. I have been looking at the Kindle DX because it has the biggest screen, which is a plus for me. Right now my choice is between that and the Nook because I'm a fan of expandable memory. I'm also interested in learning about the Sony reader (I guess the model with the biggest screen?) and how it fits into the criteria here. And ic case anyone thinks I might be missing something important, are there any other questions that I might be interested in looking into?

Honestly, by the time you can fill up the built in memory of the Kindle with books, there will be a much better version of the Kindle available for purchase.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Argh, I was afraid of what you guys said about PDF viewage. I do have academic papers I'd like to be able to view, as well as just general classroom materials (lecture notes and stuff).

iPad expensive, movax sad :smith:

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

Troubadour posted:

Pretty sure the only tablet device that allows pdf annotation is the iPad.

So is this something that's on the horizon for other reader type things or something far off?

EDIT:

Ethereal posted:

Honestly, by the time you can fill up the built in memory of the Kindle with books, there will be a much better version of the Kindle available for purchase.

That's probably true, as I just looked at my collection of PDFs and realized that about 90% of the space was taken up by some MIT OCW video lectures. WHOOPS. So in that case storage isn't really a problem. How about ease of adding PDFs?

Captain Frigate fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 27, 2010

Beffah
Jul 8, 2010

Any thoughts on this? It's on sale for a hair under $130 with free shipping, but to me it looks like a knock-off iPad. My father asked (read: told) me to check it with thoughts of my mother, but I've never heard of the brand.

Edit: I'm a Nook-ite, but my father has a kindle 2 (he's blind, got it for the tts), so we're both relatively versed in ereaders.

Beffah fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 27, 2010

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Beffah posted:

Any thoughts on this? It's on sale for a hair under $130 with free shipping, but to me it looks like a knock-off iPad. My father asked (read: told) me to check it with thoughts of my mother, but I've never heard of the brand.
Ugh, resistive touch screen. I'd personally avoid all knock-off ereader tablets except for like, the nook color.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Beffah posted:

Android 1.6? :barf:

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Beffah posted:

Any thoughts on this?

Watch the entire video that comes with the link. If you want to give this for your family, you're a bastard.

:siren: If it's sold on a shopping channel, it's not recommended to buy! :siren:

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

Another question, what's Calibre? What's it useful for?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Captain Frigate posted:

Another question, what's Calibre? What's it useful for?

http://calibre-ebook.com/

It's the best management software for your e-books (regardless what reader you use), and it can convert files your reader can't handle to something it can.

It can also fetch news for you, get metadata etc. etc. But the features above are the most useful.

e: this is in the OP.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It can convert any ebook format to any other ebook format.

withak fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 27, 2010

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Don't forget the server! Getting access to your ebooks using any web browser anywhere :)

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

movax posted:

Argh, I was afraid of what you guys said about PDF viewage. I do have academic papers I'd like to be able to view, as well as just general classroom materials (lecture notes and stuff).

Anything without images, just use Calibre to convert it to a mobi/epub file.

withak posted:

It can convert any ebook format to any other ebook format.

Not XMDF :smith:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Should have read "any ebook format that matters".

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I have a Nook - if I want to use Calibre to keep all my books organized, is there any way to get it to recognize things bought off of Barnes and Noble along with whatever I get off Gutenberg, etc.? The only way I can get around this at the moment is using the nook PC app and then downloading them to a folder on my PC so Calibre can see them there.

Additionally, is there any way to change the download folder from the nook PC app? I want to put all my books together somewhere else on my hard drive than where the stupid program thinks they should be...right now I have this extra folder in my documents and I have to copy the books over to where I want them, which is a pain in the rear end, but doable I suppose.

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

So could I convert my PDFs to something more kindle friendly and then annotate them?

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
I converted some books to mobi but when I put them on the Kindle everything is bold (really heavy font). Also the font is different than normal books.

Any reason for this or way to fix it? Is it an option somewhere when you convert that I should have changed?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Captain Frigate posted:

So could I convert my PDFs to something more kindle friendly and then annotate them?

Yes, although normal PDF to mobi is rough (expect to lose most of the formatting). If it is an image based PDF, you'll have to use a OCR on it like ABBYY PDF Transformer and manually fix any gently caress ups before converting .DOC to .MOBI (mostly spacing, deleting page numbers/headers, etc)

https://wi.somethingawful.com/7d/7d447ad54bec7586cde0fd5cf1d58e0a8d9e0b34.jpg

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

Sporadic posted:

Yes, although normal PDF to mobi is rough (expect to lose most of the formatting). If it is an image based PDF, you'll have to use a OCR on it like ABBYY PDF Transformer and manually fix any gently caress ups before converting .DOC to .MOBI (mostly spacing, deleting page numbers/headers, etc)

https://wi.somethingawful.com/7d/7d447ad54bec7586cde0fd5cf1d58e0a8d9e0b34.jpg

Ah, gotcha. Also, waffle was pretty fast about losing that image!

Beffah
Jul 8, 2010

Grawl posted:

Watch the entire video that comes with the link. If you want to give this for your family, you're a bastard.

:siren: If it's sold on a shopping channel, it's not recommended to buy! :siren:

Yeah, I saw the video when I got home from work (can't on work 'puter). I believe the general term that comes to mind is "sketchy."

Also, progress note for the one guy who asked - de-rooting my nook tomorrow, then I'll do the writeup on how to root/calibre usage with nook, etc. Been preoccupied, but the 1.5 software update has done something really interesting. I actually have the option of using the rooted settings vs. vanilla nook settings - say, if I go from my library tab (rooted) back to the main touch menu, my touchscreen gives me the option of home (vanilla B&N) and launcher (rooted). Has anyone seen this/know if de-rooting and re-rooting will take this option away?

Chachikoala
Jun 30, 2003
Chachi+Koala

Beffah posted:

Yeah, I saw the video when I got home from work (can't on work 'puter). I believe the general term that comes to mind is "sketchy."

God help you if you lose the stylus. The people who designed and are selling that product belong in prison.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Chachikoala posted:

God help you if you lose the stylus. The people who designed and are selling that product belong in prison.

Pretty much any kind of stylus will work on a resistive screen, so that would be the least of your worries.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
loving hell, every day it's another e-mail from another professor for another article recommendation sent to me in PDF and every day it's another day schlepping around the netbook and getting out the necessary books to cross-reference this bull poo poo and that.

I cannot wait till my goddamn kindle arrives. I'm placing bets right now, it's going to be a required buy for grad students in literature at the very least if not all grad students.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Space Racist posted:

What? How so?

256 RAM, no camera, only one port and I'm sure there are other features Apple will add onto the next one. Just in my experience Apple tends to make a big leap on their 2nd version of a mobile product. I got the 1st Gen iPod Touch and the 2nd Gen had a speaker, volume rocker, mic input and all this other stuff that had no reason not being in the 1st gen. Drives me crazy, and its a good part of why i don't buy their poo poo as much anymore.

Guilty posted:

loving hell, every day it's another e-mail from another professor for another article recommendation sent to me in PDF and every day it's another day schlepping around the netbook and getting out the necessary books to cross-reference this bull poo poo and that.

I cannot wait till my goddamn kindle arrives. I'm placing bets right now, it's going to be a required buy for grad students in literature at the very least if not all grad students.

Ironic from my rant above, but the Kindle has been experimented in using with college/scholarly pursuits and got mixed reviews. Personally I think it would be mostly decent, but in terms of studies I could see how an iPad would be the required buy. Plus Angry Birds in class is always a good idea.

And its Black Friday weekend so I have had no time to look at this, I'll be updating the OP again at some point soon though!

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 27, 2010

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Duckman2008 posted:

Ironic from my rant above, but the Kindle has been experimented in using with college/scholarly pursuits and got mixed reviews. Personally I think it would be mostly decent, but in terms of studies I could see how an iPad would be the required buy. Plus Angry Birds in class is always a good idea.

Probably. a Tablet or e-reader of some sort will definitely make life infinitely easier for students. It's already pretty bad that I've got to pack a backpack and a messenger bag once or twice a week. Can't wait till I just need that kindle.

edit: I can really only speak for literature studies, but very frequently we're required to have a ton of books on hand in order to facilitate discussions or conferences, or even if we're doing the research it's a lot easier to have the primary source on hand. schlepping around a bag full of books is no fun at all.

Guilty fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

How this ends still hasn't been unwritten...
Okay so if I use calibre to convert pdfs, what relatively small ereader that's <150$? The Kindle wifi? Sony pocket reader? Expandable storage sounds nice but I don't know if I need it.