Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

bull3964 posted:

Somehow I don't think they are going to launch a color reader only for color book covers though.

Color eink is still going to be expensive for awhile, so I don't see them creating a device around it until they have content to point at and go "see, this is why you need a color reader!"

Well here's a fact: very few books that aren't for children or manchildren even have color pictures, or pictures in general in them!

That aside, all Kindle blogs and papers and magazines and such, and any book that actually has color in print will have color in the Kindle version already. And you can be assured that as soon as they actually have workable affordable color eink that the main Kindle line will gain color eink. They already have content with color in it. They don't need anything to sell a color eink reader besides "it's in color and under $500!!!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Duckman2008 posted:

Edit again: I would love to use my Kindle as an RSS reader, but am not about to pay $1 per blog a month just to get news "conveniently." Anyone know of an easier/cheaper way than using the web browser (or even just setting the web browser for mobile websites only)?

I know this was from a couple of days ago but there's a button in Calibre "fetch news" that is exactly that.

fishmech posted:

Well here's a fact: very few books that aren't for children or manchildren even have color pictures, or pictures in general in them!

Plenty of books have pictures in them... Maps, Illustrations, diagrams, etc etc

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Price jumped up on the sony readers. Guess it was a thanksgiving sale v:confused:v

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

fishmech posted:

Maybe your twilight collection lacks pictures but plenty science or finance nonfiction books contain a host of black and white diagrams and small illustrations. I'm sure there are other types too but I'm specifically referring to the manchildren books I read.

Your horrible assumptions lead you to frequently over generalize your posts and make you a reliable source for nothing; however it's obvious you clearly want to be the authority on all things eBook in the realm of SA.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Price jumped up on the sony readers. Guess it was a thanksgiving sale v:confused:v

Sony would have a great product if they could remove their heads from their rear end in a top hat. It's like part of their eBook unit is super good and the other half (marketing, pricing, eBook store, desktop client) is full of complete gently caress ups that don't understand their customer. It's a shame.

In other news. I should have got my PRS600 back from this girl I just broke things off with recently. Apparently she's a completely Immature bitch and smashed it. Just in time for this incredible Sony sale you speak of!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

brylcreem posted:

I actually just did - IT (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SR2PKG/) is still full of OCR errors. Misplaced italics, misplaced punctuation, "Deny" instead of "Derry", line breaks, missing spaces, all that poo poo. I started to put notes on the errors after the first couple of times, and in checking, I have 58 notes on http://kindle.amazon.com A few of them are genuine notes, though.

They may not all be OCR errors - I read It about 2 years ago, and there were a few spelling mistakes and that kind of thing. This is a paperback edition I bought when I a kid, around '91-'92 or so. Great book though.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

benisntfunny posted:

Maybe your twilight collection lacks pictures but plenty science or finance nonfiction books contain a host of black and white diagrams and small illustrations. I'm sure there are other types too but I'm specifically referring to the manchildren books I read.

Yeah the main reason I care about pictures is because I read a lot of scientific and statistical papers and books that have tables and graphs. FWIW, Calibre seems absolutely clueless about converting tables, and just wrecks the formatting on them so that they're completely indecipherable. It's not keen on equations or figures either.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
For some reason I'm under the impression that e-ink is relatively expensive because of patents and licensing, not because it's that expensive to manufacture. I'm also thinking that as more and more lcd tablets flood the market e-ink, color or not will come down in price quite a bit.

Also, I wonder how long until someone comes out with a tablet an e-ink reader on one side and a color lcd on the other.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Withnail posted:

Also, I wonder how long until someone comes out with a tablet an e-ink reader on one side and a color lcd on the other.
It's been done.

Amazon might be doing the same for the next Kindle too

bull3964 posted:

It can actually. It's been rooted and you can sideload android apps now.

So, you could easily run Droid Comic Viewer on it now assuming that it deals with the screen res ok.
So it has, thanks. But so far no one has run Droid Comic Viewer on it successfully.

Note: Droid Comic Viewer can handle the 1024x600 resolution on the Galaxy Tab after you use Spare Parts to turn off compatibility mode, but no guarantee that works for the Nook Color.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 30, 2010

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

benisntfunny posted:

Your horrible assumptions lead you to frequently over generalize your posts and make you a reliable source for nothing; however it's obvious you clearly want to be the authority on all things eBook in the realm of SA.

You're agreeing with what I said about most stuff not having color pictures though so I don't see your point. Black and white diagrams and small illustrations work fine on grayscale eink. If you buy a color device to look at black and white images... I don't know what to tell you. It'd be really hard to use "look at black and white images" as a selling point for color.

Any problem you have looking at a black and white image on grayscale e-ink would be due to the resolution (even though all the eink devices right now have fairly high resolution for size) and color won't fix that. Also twilight is definitely in the manchildren books section...

Withnail posted:

For some reason I'm under the impression that e-ink is relatively expensive because of patents and licensing, not because it's that expensive to manufacture. I'm also thinking that as more and more lcd tablets flood the market e-ink, color or not will come down in price quite a bit.

That's a false impression. It basically used to be that they had a lot of problems with yield and general expense, hence why the Kindle cost $400 in 2007. Now you can get an e-ink device with the same screen size for under $130.

Anyway there have been cheap and cheapish LCD readers around for far longer than e-ink.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Criss posting from the Rooted Android thread, but the Nook Color has officially been rooted and playing Angry Birds. I put it in the OP with a disclaimer to wait a bit for something a bit better to come about.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2010/11/rooted_nook_color_delivers_android_experience_on_a_cheap_250_tablet.html

Edit, updated based on info below, thanks!

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 30, 2010

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Criss posting from the Rooted Android thread, but the Nook Color has officially been rooted and playing Angry Birds. I put it in the OP with a disclaimer to wait a bit for something a bit better to come about.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2010/11/rooted_nook_color_delivers_android_experience_on_a_cheap_250_tablet.html

Anyone interested in trying this out themselves can check out this guide at nookdevs. It's a bit rough and I think so far we only can do it from linux/unix/OS X because of driver issues.

I have Dolphin HD, ACV, and Angry Birds all working on mine.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

losimagic posted:

Is asking for people to show off their custom Kindle screensavers going off-topic? Would like to see what everyone's installed.

Heres the best one on my kindle

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Got my wife a Kindle for our anniversary because Audible.com worked fine for me until last night when I was listening to The Devil You Know and had no idea what a "zarastanie greatcoat" was. Previewed the first few pages on Amazon.com, realized it was "czarist army greatcoat". Bought the book on the Kindle immediately, read four chapters, bought myself a Kindle (which I get tomorrow).

I used to be a novel or two a week guy from elementary through high school, mostly scifi or western or mystery pulp, but some great classics as well. A college degree in English ruined reading for me for a while and I'm just starting to pick up steam again.

Since the new Kindle will be mine, and I'm a hopeless tinkerer, I'll jailbreak it. Are there any font suggestions, or should I stick with what this ridiculously well-produced font personality test tells me? (stupid, but fun and the fonts are gorgeous)
http://www.pentagram.com/what-type-are-you/

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

Oneiros posted:

I have Dolphin HD, ACV, and Angry Birds all working on mine.

Could you possibly take a video of how these apps run?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

God Exists. posted:

Could you possibly take a video of how these apps run?

I tried making a video but it came out terrible because I have no experience capturing a glossy, backlit screen :(

Angry Birds runs smoothly and Dolphin HD seems more responsive than the stock browser. I'm convinced that B&N just has some crappy software on this thing.

One problem I did notice running ACV is the lack of hardware buttons (Menu, Back, and Search). Apps that use the hardware buttons are, well, impossible to use. Whatever functionality that can only be accessed by those buttons is lost. I know that implementing some form of software button replacements is on the to-do-list of people much more knowledgeable on the subject than me.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

So how normal is freezing on the Kindle? Mine just had a weird issue where text from the previous page was stil faintly visible after page turns, which made me freak out. Thankfully, a hard reset fixed it. Still, kind of unnerving. Does this happen often?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Parkettpolitur posted:

So how normal is freezing on the Kindle? Mine just had a weird issue where text from the previous page was stil faintly visible after page turns, which made me freak out. Thankfully, a hard reset fixed it. Still, kind of unnerving. Does this happen often?

That's not an issue or freezing. The only way to keep the faint remnant of previous text off the e-ink screen at all times is to do 2 full refreshes every page turn, and that of course would double page turn time.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Duckman2008 posted:

Edit, updated based on info below, thanks!

Looks like I'm probably buying a Nook Color in the near future, then. I don't give a drat about ebooks in color, but I've wanted a cheap Android tablet for a while. :)

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

fishmech posted:

That's not an issue or freezing. The only way to keep the faint remnant of previous text off the e-ink screen at all times is to do 2 full refreshes every page turn, and that of course would double page turn time.

Huh? No, it was definitely an issue. The screen basically displayed two pages at once, making the book illegible. It had never done so before and a hard reset fixed it. I've seen some information on this kind of bug online and I was wondering how prevalent it is.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Parkettpolitur posted:

Huh? No, it was definitely an issue. The screen basically displayed two pages at once, making the book illegible. It had never done so before and a hard reset fixed it. I've seen some information on this kind of bug online and I was wondering how prevalent it is.

Which is it - faintly visible or illegible? You said the first time that it was faintly visible, that's common and isn't a problem.

What you are describing now is not an issue of faintly visible.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Is there a guide or any tips to putting .cbr files on a kindle? I got the girlfriend a kindle for her birthday and when she's using my iPad I'd love to have some comics to read on her kindle. Thanks.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bottom Liner posted:

Is there a guide or any tips to putting .cbr files on a kindle? I got the girlfriend a kindle for her birthday and when she's using my iPad I'd love to have some comics to read on her kindle. Thanks.

Unrar the CBR to a folder, place the folder in the Pictures directory on the Kindle, hit next page in the Kindle book menu til you find a "book" with the name of the folder. Now you're reading comics on a stock Kindle.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Mobileread is a good place to get entertained. Found that out why just checking out for random news on any Sony eReader modifications.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108998

ABFA00
Jul 9, 2009
What's the best for PDFs? I have a bunch of textbooks, things like the D&D handbooks, and course lecture notes that are in PDF format. The wikipedia link says what ones SUPPORT the format, but not how well.

I've always been extremely opposed to eReaders and eBooks- they're not how I want to read my books, among other things. But stuff like I mentioned, that I'd otherwise have no choice for reading other than on my laptop (which is distracting and hard to do if I'm, say, at an airport waiting for my flight and don't feel like turning my computer on and off a bunch), they'd be useful.

The only thing I'm opposed to is any of the Kindles- I don't like the position of the paging buttons, I tried one in Best Buy the other day and it just felt awkward. I definitely don't need 3G. Some people have told me to just get an iPad or an Android tablet but they cost a lot more, and I already have an ipod touch and a Droid, so..

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

^^^^^
None of them support PDFs really well at all. The best you're getting is "functional"

fishmech posted:

Unrar the CBR to a folder, place the folder in the Pictures directory on the Kindle, hit next page in the Kindle book menu til you find a "book" with the name of the folder. Now you're reading comics on a stock Kindle.

You could also just convert it in calibre.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Since I talked up a storm about Kindle on Linux earlier, I thought I'd helpfully update that the Windows app works with the unstable branch of WINE.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm kinda sorta thinking about a Kindle, but for one specific purpose: to replace the mountains of PDFs of articles I keep printing out for class, for reading in places that I don't take my laptop. How well would that work out? Also concerning heavy use of highlighting.

People say PDF support is bad, but does that mean PDFs with graphics and stuff, or do boring, plain text PDFs also have trouble?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 1, 2010

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm kinda sorta thinking about a Kindle, but for one specific purpose: to replace the mountains of PDFs of articles I keep printing out for class, for reading in places that I don't take my laptop. How well would that work out? Also concerning heavy use of highlighting.

People say PDF support is bad, but does that mean PDFs with graphics and stuff, or do boring, plain text PDFs also have trouble?

Text-only should be fine. Load one of your PDFs in Calibre, right click it and convert it to a mobi file, then use Calibre to view the mobi file. That's what it will look like on the Kindle.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

fishmech posted:

Which is it - faintly visible or illegible? You said the first time that it was faintly visible, that's common and isn't a problem.

What you are describing now is not an issue of faintly visible.

After the page turn, the previous page sort of persisted on the new page, albeit faintly. As a result, the new page became illegible or at least very hard to read, since the previous page was still visible. A hard reset fixed this and now I'm wondering how common this issue is.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Parkettpolitur posted:

After the page turn, the previous page sort of persisted on the new page, albeit faintly. As a result, the new page became illegible or at least very hard to read, since the previous page was still visible. A hard reset fixed this and now I'm wondering how common this issue is.

I have a faint, "ghostly" image of the previous page all the time on my kindle. It's normal. The problem is that e-Ink only refresh(es?) the needed areas of the screen.

Press Alt-G to force-refresh the whole screen. That should be faster than a reset. If that doesn't work -> Amazon support.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Kreeblah posted:

Looks like I'm probably buying a Nook Color in the near future, then. I don't give a drat about ebooks in color, but I've wanted a cheap Android tablet for a while. :)

It's not really a good Android tablet at all, so don't. There are better options. Like this:
http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_101it/specs.html?country=us&lang=en

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Parkettpolitur posted:

Well if you get the previous text dark enough to make the other text illegible again, call Amazon., Having faint text that doesn't interfere with reading from the last page is common though.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Is someone really going to ask about PDF support every other post?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Daric posted:

That's what I was kind of wondering. You'd think people would read the last 2 or 3 pages if not the OP

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm in Chile. Does anyone know if I'll be able to use the experimental web browser (via 3G) if I get a Kindle?

Amazon posted:

Access Wikipedia via Whispernet on the experimental web browser. Access other websites like Google via a Wi-Fi connection.
Does this mean that Wikipedia is the only site I can browse without WiFi?.

If yes I'd be inclined to get the $139 model .

VVVVV
Interesting. Now I'm not sure which model I should get. :ohdear:

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 1, 2010

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

gmq posted:

I'm in Chile. Does anyone know if I'll be able to use the experimental web browser (via 3G) if I get a Kindle?

Does this mean that Wikipedia is the only site I can browse without WiFi?

According to this site: http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2010/10/global-kindle-3g-web-browsing-where.html Chile has full 3g browsing now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Daric posted:

Putting a bigger disclaimer about PDFs in the OP.

Edit: I updated the OP with more details on PDFs and a disclaimer on not asking stupid questions.

fishmech posted:

According to this site: http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2010/10/global-kindle-3g-web-browsing-where.html Chile has full 3g browsing now.

I'll google around myself, but does Amazon have a link of countries that can support 3G? I can add that as well.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 1, 2010

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Duckman2008 posted:

I'll google around myself, but does Amazon have a link of countries that can support 3G? I can add that as well.

Amazon doesn't seem to have a list, but that guy's site is usually accurate. Keep in mind the list of which countries get 3g browsing unrestricted is always growing, as more carriers sign deals with Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Amazon doesn't seem to have a list, but that guy's site is usually accurate. Keep in mind the list of which countries get 3g browsing unrestricted is always growing, as more carriers sign deals with Amazon.

Sweet, added to the OP.