Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Criss posting from the Rooted Android thread, but the Nook Color has officially been rooted and playing Angry Birds. I put it in the OP with a disclaimer to wait a bit for something a bit better to come about.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2010/11/rooted_nook_color_delivers_android_experience_on_a_cheap_250_tablet.html

Anyone interested in trying this out themselves can check out this guide at nookdevs. It's a bit rough and I think so far we only can do it from linux/unix/OS X because of driver issues.

I have Dolphin HD, ACV, and Angry Birds all working on mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

God Exists. posted:

Could you possibly take a video of how these apps run?

I tried making a video but it came out terrible because I have no experience capturing a glossy, backlit screen :(

Angry Birds runs smoothly and Dolphin HD seems more responsive than the stock browser. I'm convinced that B&N just has some crappy software on this thing.

One problem I did notice running ACV is the lack of hardware buttons (Menu, Back, and Search). Apps that use the hardware buttons are, well, impossible to use. Whatever functionality that can only be accessed by those buttons is lost. I know that implementing some form of software button replacements is on the to-do-list of people much more knowledgeable on the subject than me.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Magnificent Quiver posted:

I think the "easier to read on retina" hype is a load of bull. The issue with reading on LCD screens is the fact that they're backlit and shooting light directly into your eyeballs rather than reflecting light like eInk, not that the text is a little fuzzy.

So e-ink doesn't "shoot light directly into your eyeballs"? What sense are you using then because you sure as hell aren't seeing anything without photons streaming onto your retina.

Seriously, I think the problem people have with LCD screens is that they have the backlight set to the "signal overflying aircraft" mode. Turn the brightness down and blink every now and then so your eyes don't dry out.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

theBeaz posted:

I'm pretty nervous to go the rooting route since many of the articles I read before warned of possible overheating and bricking. I don't want to kill my new toy. Does anyone have the latest/greatest site and/or guide to rooting and preferably how to UNroot if I needed to? I'd like to research it a bit more before I do it. However I'm not sure if there's a point since I'm pretty happy with how it performs, just needs a few bug fixes.

Bricking the NC is probably as close to impossible as you can get because of the recovery mode and the fact that it will always try to boot from the sd card slot before internal memory. The overheating thing comes from installing 2.2 Froyo, not rooting in general. There is no risk though, iirc, because the battery is actually managed by some lower-level stuff and the OS is simply not configured to report it correctly.